LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Josh

Klipsch Heresy II

Josh    108

So in a fit of not liking how my vinyl sounded on my efficient but trusty HTD flat-panel speaker front stage, I randomly found a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIs for sale in town.

I've been eyeing these things for years, knowing they were the speakers I wanted both for my music listening habits and for the size of my condo, but I never pulled the trigger.

Well, I pulled it.

I then went and found an Academy center channel from a friendly co-habitant of the Klipsch.com forums and that's now on its way.

I sit here listening to a 1st-gen pressing of Paul Weller's Stanley Road and I'm out of my head. A whole new world, as that chick in Aladdin sang.

Any other vintage Klipsch losers?

AlbertA    72

I used to eye Klipsch's in the past... But these days it's all about coaxial horn loaded designs:

https://www.presonus.com/products/Sceptre-S8 - designed by David Gunness

http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/ - designed by Jay Mitchell

I have the Atomic CLRs which can get ridiculously loud and the more transparent speakers I've ever used - designed by Jay Mitchell which designed the IMAX speakers.  

Josh    108

Those look fantastic. Coaxial is certainly interesting. When I studied pro audio back in college it was always heavily discussed for accurate imaging, even as a 2-channel replacement for multi-speaker systems in the right settings. Would love to hear them.

Carlucci    162

I've written about them on this forum before, and I still have my pair of vintage 1978 Heresy speakers. I couldn't find a way to configure them in my media room, but they still sound great for 2.1 channel music.  

Someday I'll move my components to the side/rear of the room to make room for them, but for now they only get trotted out for special occasions.

Carlos.

Josh    108

Got the Academy center channel in, and it matches quite nicely after some Yamaha YPAO. 

Looks nice, too:

IMG_1311.JPG

Josh    108

Considering rebuilding the crossovers on these, but the information I'm getting is mixed. Some say it's totally unnecessary, while others say the money is well spent.

Any engineers on here care to give me the 411 on capacitors? Do they go bad in 40 year-old crossovers, and is it worth rebuilding them, or is this all a load of $200 placebo?

This guy, for instance, has made a quite a nice business selling rebuilt crossovers to collectors: http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Carlucci    162

I ain't cracking mine open until they sound bad.  And to these ageing ears, they still sound as great as they day I got them.  I recall there used to be a lot of talk about "re-foaming" the Heresy speakers every x number of years, but I just refuse. 

I do need one of the Klipsch nameplates.  One of my speakers lost its plate during a move.  I reached out to Klipsch, and they did send me a new one, but it is in the different, newer style and I couldn't bring myself to glue it on.  If you come across anyone selling an old-style nameplate, let me know.

Carlos.

Josh    108

Yeah, they stopped making those and have been sold out since something like 2008. Your best bet would probably be to keep your eyes open for local craigslist fire sales.

Carlucci    162

I like the risers for your speakers. I never got those, so I used stands. 

Have you tried toeing them in a bit? When I was using them as my mains, I had them angled in toward my listening position.  Doing that is especially good for music. 

Carlos. 

Josh    108

I have, and I've gone back and forth. When I have my cellular shades down (I have 180 degrees of floor to ceiling windows in here) I can pretty much eliminate all reflections and the sound is focused and spot-on when the Heresies are toed in. When the shades are up and I'm dealing with 2 walls of glass I let the speaker bounce around and it somehow sounds decent.

I've also been experimenting with their spread, and fighting with the couch's chaise location which can interfere with the left channel. I'm tempted to raise them, but I really like the risers as you mentioned.

Josh    108

Toed in for this morning's listening and it's quite nice. Thanks for the reminder to give it another spin.

Apparently Klipsch meant for his speakers to be toed in as I've been reading.

• Like 1