LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

A thread about Lego

Latest modular (Assembly square) is finished and in the collection.  This one is slightly bigger than normal (10th anniversary), but has some really cool details like the signs above the stores.

y4mlVoUqXQpuH3vRL3QC0bFJ8_1v2rpDjvZNMKE-

Here's the rest of the modular (and semi-related) sections.  The Yellow Submarine on the Kwik-e-mart roof just made sense, given that it has the garden on it:

y4mlTm7-oQ6r0EZwx15oRaoqYJfW7q1U_EfTPGUC

y4mOvjGpVKHiNxVeg30OzV_i2V10YWARsQljL4K3

The Monster Fighters Haunted House also works with the Ghostbusters firehouse:

y4mG9HZLz9VaVjB8UyGFdBXCb9oKWVXhBSUs12co

Also finished off BB8 last week.  Not a bad model, and a very cool build.  It's not an easy shape to make with Lego, but I think it works well.  The functional torch extension is also a nice inclusion:

y4m635mRG1jRu7RAFrBIml7ELgkoa4MocFSkGNLq

I love the modular city buildings; incredible detail. But our best recent purchase is the Women of NASA set - incredible design in the Hubble, in particular. 

10 hours ago, dienekes96 said:

I've saved a bunch of moolah for that Falcon over the past few months.  I'm waiting for the damn thing to show up in a local Lego store.

Yeah, I don't think they've been in stock since they went up in preview sales.  I've heard reports of some of them coming in for people who preordered and were on the wait list, but it looks like another Saturn V scenario, where they're still hard to find.  Might be the case for a while yet. 

Speaking of the Falcon, I started the build for that last week.  It looks like there are 17 sets of bags in there, and a giant spiral bound manual (MUCH better than the perfect bound/glued ones that they use for some stuff).  I may need to pull in a second table for this one.  In any case, the interior frame is done, and it's really solid:

y4mcBavLLkuRwysUwD8hsL_SMBbUTe_mDHiDh4uk

Lots of Lego, including many Star Wars Items, on sale at Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=gbph_tit_m-2_81f2_5b64d78b?node=17441271011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d1a50877-312f-48b7-9d1a-8a8a5b6381f2&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=5550342011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J2R8BXC5ZX9NAJRRCHEJ&nocache=1511792019409

I found the Saturn V at the Lego store while on vacation, so I bought it. Wish I would have bought them all because they are going for a premium everywhere now.  

How much time should I plan on for its completion, as a total novice?  

Carlos.

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

I remember it going pretty quickly, and the instructions are pretty well broken down, so maybe 5 hours or so?  I usually pick away at these things over a period of weeks.  Time to build Lego is usually directly related to the time to find the piece you're looking for, but in the case of this one, they break things up into a lot of separate bags. 

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Lots of Lego, including many Star Wars Items, on sale at Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=gbph_tit_m-2_81f2_5b64d78b?node=17441271011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d1a50877-312f-48b7-9d1a-8a8a5b6381f2&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=5550342011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J2R8BXC5ZX9NAJRRCHEJ&nocache=1511792019409

I found the Saturn V at the Lego store while on vacation, so I bought it. Wish I would have bought them all because they are going for a premium everywhere now.  

Carlos.

Umm that link is only showing me this:

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic-Creative-Builder-Exclusive/dp/B06XFYYPQW/ref=lp_17441271011_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1511802118&sr=1-1

What else did you see?

Edit: Bah it's gone now: https://www.reddit.com/r/legodeal/comments/7ftyog/amazon_us_deal_of_the_day_23_sets_at_30_off/

Does anyone else shop for legos using the 10 cents/piece rule-of-thumb? Where 10 cents/piece is usually the average price... 7 cents/piece is usually a good deal.

Looks like the 2018 modular is a Diner:

10260_Prod.jpg

It's a neat design, but I'm not sure how it'll look with the other sets in the series.  Seems a little out of place.  I'd also have to check, but I think that up until this point, all of the minifigs in the modulars had the same standard face, so this might also be the first time they've deviated from that for the line.  Lots of detail though, which is always appreciated with these sets. 

That is ace, but I share your concern that the colours aren't going to look in place with the other sets. Though, of course, that's possibly intentional - real-world designs like that often go up without consideration of context.

I'm going today to make our Lego Christmas haul which consist of some Ninjago Movie sets and the new Joker Manor set from the Lego Batman movie.

Classic set, the Taj Mahal. Famously (for extremely niche values of famously) this is the one David Beckham spent all his spare time during the 2008 World Cup building in his hotel room, rather than going out on the lash with his teammates. Which is why he's my all-time favourite footballer.

I really don't care for the town sets, and it's mostly due to the fact I view myself as not having enough money or space to indulge in such things.  I resigned myself to the fact that I will never desire those things.  And then I saw this breakdown.

Yep, I now want it.

Yeah, they're all like that. Packed to the gills with tiny details, like the way the thief can abseil down from the roof of the bank via the chimney, into the vault, and then escape through the plumbing and out of the laundry next door, or the posh coffee machine the manager has installed in his office.

The Taj Mahal is neat, but I have nowhere to put it.  There are a few in that vein (Big Ben, the tower bridge, and even the old Statue of Liberty) that just don't really go anywhere specific.  Even the Shield Hellicarrier is a little like that, but I managed to find a place for that one.

I'll definitely get the Diner at some point, but I think I'm going to wait for either the next double VIP event, or at least a more interesting freebie than the dragster.  What's scary is that I think I almost have enough points to get it for free... 

I'm relatively new to the "hardcore" Lego collecting, but does Lego keep producing popular sets, or do they give up after a while?  It's odd when you consider how difficult it's been to find the new Millenium Falcon.  It's not like I have $800 lying around as of this moment, but it just seems weird a set this expensive has demand vastly outnumber supply.

13 hours ago, Dimness said:

I'm relatively new to the "hardcore" Lego collecting, but does Lego keep producing popular sets, or do they give up after a while?  It's odd when you consider how difficult it's been to find the new Millenium Falcon.  It's not like I have $800 lying around as of this moment, but it just seems weird a set this expensive has demand vastly outnumber supply.

It really depends on what you're looking for, but most of the sets will stay in print for 2-3 years depending on demand.  For the falcon, I'd expect that it'll be produced through 2018, and probably into 2019 if they're still selling out.  Some of the ideas stuff is much harder to find though.  There are cases where things will dry up, but for example they're still selling the UCS Slave 1, and that's three or four years old at this point.  Once something goes OOP, there are usually still some around, and Shop @ home will usually list them as "retiring soon" or maybe just "hard to find", so that's a good opportunity to jump on them.  Things being discounted is also usually a good sign that they're not long for this world (e.g. the Batman 66 and Simpsons House sets are being cleared out right now). 

I haven't really kept up on it, but were there a lot of people trying to flip the Falcon in the leadup to Christmas?  Given that the original UCS Falcon is the poster child for Lego "investment", I can see there being a temptation to try to repeat that with the new set.  There was also the promo with the special VIP benefits/card for Falcon buyers that only kicked in if you bought one in 2017, although there's nothing concrete about what that actually means (except for a unique VIP card with your name on it so far). 

The other thing I'd say is that if you've got an official LEGO Store in your area, chat to the staff. They're pretty well clued up on what's going on, and when we were being indecisive between a couple of sets they could tell us which one wasn't long for the world, so we could prioritise it.