LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

A thread about Lego

We've got models 3367 (nice balance of play and detail):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-City-3367-Space-Shuttle/dp/B0042HOTRM

and the more recent 31066 (a little smaller, but very good value and the other two builds in the set also offer a lot of play opportunity):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-UK-31066-Explorer-Construction/dp/B06WGPS9MY

There's also been the little 60078 and bigger 60080, the only one to come with the full launch system, rather than just the Orbiter. Plus the tiny model in Women of NASA.

So while none of them are intended to be identical scale to the Saturn V, LEGO have got a pretty good handle on how they sell, I suspect.

Finished my Saturn V Last night and it's very neat!

Question for Lego or Saturn V experts: I can't get the second stage to click into the first stage without knocking out some of the curved paneling tiles. Any tips?

1 hour ago, Robot Monkey said:

The 4 clips in trhe corners don't click without compressing the tiles making up the sides near the top (near the clips).

Umm that doesn't happen on my build...

Here's how mine looks:

4Zb4trk.jpg

• Like 1

It should fit cleanly-check to make sure that you have everything aligned correctly.  Assuming the top of the stage is flush, then you might have the red clips too low. 

It was the yellow 1x4. You can see it it in the pic Albert was kind enough to post.

I placed it one row higher (on all  the sidss), preventing stage 2 from sitting flush.

• Like 1

Ship in a bottle is available today if you're interested.  I think I'm actually going to chance waiting a little while on this one, for either a double VIP or free gift promo that fits the minimum.  

I did end up ordering the Diner yesterday though to get the 60 years of the Brick set.  They're selling that one for $30 on its own, so getting it for free with something else I was going to buy at some point anyway works.  Evidently last year was an expensive one for Lego though.  Cashed in $185 in points on this order :)

I have no room for massive LEGO sculpts, but I ordered that ship in a bottle at literally 3am because it is one of the neatest ideas I’ve seen.

• Like 2

Yeah, I caved and ordered it yesterday too.  I've got a space where it'll fit, and I was going to get it eventually, so why not get it while it's in stock.  

Space is definitely starting to be a concern though.  I did find a spot for the completed Falcon in the living room.  Between comics, lego, and pinball, storing things related to hobbies is getting out of hand (and that's not even counting the kids' lego sprawl that's starting to happen). 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 11:54 AM, AlbertA said:

Should I get the Palace Cinema from Amazon before it goes out of stock?

Yes, it's one of the best of the modular buildings. 

Has anyone ever looked into Lepin sets?  Cheap, yet seemingly good quality, knock-offs from China.  They have the new Ultimate 8000pcs Falcon for $236 shipped.

Edit: Actually, they have all kinds of sets at crazy prices.  Shipping time seems to be the only factor, which is not that big a deal.

8 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Yes, it's one of the best of the modular buildings. 

Thanks It's getting here tomorrow :)

That cinema is gorgeous but my girlfriend would kill me... luckily it’s out of print :P.

Spent my evening making the ship in a bottle. Really fun and it looks damn neat.

23 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Has anyone ever looked into Lepin sets?  Cheap, yet seemingly good quality, knock-offs from China.  They have the new Ultimate 8000pcs Falcon for $236 shipped.

I haven't seen any myself, but I saw a review of their version of the SSD here: https://brickset.com/article/29578/review-lepin-super-star-destroyer.  Sounds like it's mostly there, but not quite? 

Falcon is done!  Managed to find a decent spot for it in the LR, which is also where the Hellicarrier ended up as "big sets that don't fit anywhere else":

y4mP_fHfnbNeEWusH4ZhYypkwwECRhuFwX_5KCX3

Might be interesting at some point to have the old/new falcons side by side, but that's going to take a lot more planning for space.  Awesome model though!  Just have to be careful about some of the extra little bits falling off when you move it (not unlike the MF in the movies I suppose).  

• Like 4

The new falcon is beaut... Congrats.

I acquired The Palace Cinema, The Ferrari F40 and a used Batman tumbler.  That's probably enough for now....

Another set that's super impressive-the Ninjago City from the movie last year.  It's basically an extra modular, since the level of detail seems to be on the same level as those, and maybe ever higher with some of the neat mechanical features.  The working ATM is probably the best of them.  Seems like it might be a little taller than the others (haven't quite finished it yet), but it does have the technic pins on the side, so it might be intentional.