LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

A thread about Lego

OK, if it actually separates/forms, that's pretty badass.  Lego transformers next?  

Double VIP points June 30-July 7 as well, but that's before Voltron is available for preview. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, ChrisBardon said:

OK, if it actually separates/forms, that's pretty badass.  Lego transformers next?  

Double VIP points June 30-July 7 as well, but that's before Voltron is available for preview. 

I'd be down for a Devastator set.

Meh, I'll pass.  It looks like a good model, but I've never really been into the car sets they've done, so not a huge surprise.  Lego shopping list at this point is Voltron, and probably the Roller Coaster at some point, although that's going to depend on finding space for it. 

I like it more than Daniel does, but when it comes to Creator Expert vehicles it would be behind the London Bus, Ferrari F40 and Caterham 7 for me.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:44 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I.... don’t like it.

Ugly as hell.

And I’m a fan of most of their car sets.

Whisper it, but the DB5 is quite a boxy car. "But it's the one James Bond drives!" you say. And I say "That doesn't stop it from being a terrible alternative to the E-Type".

aston-martin-db5-cmyk-v2.jpg

On 6/28/2018 at 12:40 PM, NickC said:

Looks great!

Holy shit, that's a sweet ass Lego Volton!  😲

Looks interesting, but it may have the same problem as the Simpsons House, in which all the rooms inside are way too small.  At least they're using the microfigs (and not trying to make it minifig scale), but it's still impressive.  I'm probably going to pass, but I know my daughter (who has just gotten into HP) is going to want this as soon as she sees it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NickC said:

What's the availability typically like on these sets? Will it sell out and never come back?

All of the sets have a limited run really. How soon they are discontinued is really just a function of their sales numbers.

For example, the The Saturn V is still going strong a year after release, even if there was some stock issues in the past. It must be quite popular (it makes sense to me, the price is not too high, it's an iconic space piece and the assembled size is impressive).

The Ferrari F40 had a 2 year span (not an IDEA set, but still). The Palace cinema lasted about 4.5 years. 

The delorean IDEAS set lasted about a year (but that thing was hideous, it needed a more detailed model at a higher price point). Maybe it was the amount of time they had with the license, who knows.

That kinda gives you an idea. You can go to https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Ideas and get a sense of how long runs last.

Ideas stuff tends to be hit and miss.  Some of the early ones (mars rover and the research institute) disappeared almost instantly, but Saturn V seems to be reprinted, and even the Women of Nasa set has stayed on shelves, so Voltron might be around for a while?  Still, I don't plan on waiting to find out.  Next double points event I'll probably order it (and maybe the roller coaster too). 

Double VIP points are on from now until Oct 31.  Ended up grabbing Voltron first thing this morning, and then decided to get the Roller Coaster and Hogwarts as well (the last one mostly for my daughter for Christmas).  Nothing quite like spending more than $1000 in lego in one shot...  Means next year's modular will be cheaper though?

• Like 1

Most of the last batch of orders are assembled, and a new section of the dining room has been overtaken with Lego:

legoCarnival.thumb.jpg.23f963a373f60ff01024560cd6ca11f8.jpg

All of these are motorized, which makes them kind of neat kinetic art pieces, as opposed to the usual "stuff" that you just have on display somewhere like this.  I'm a little disappointed that you can't actually run all the PF motors off a single battery pack, especially since I was trying to A/C mod one so it could connect to the wall.  That worked, but not enough power to drive multiple things, and I'm not sure how safe it is to rewire them.  Might be a research project for later, but for now, I'll just use the 12 AAAs (6 each) for the ferris wheel and roller coaster. 

All three of these are pretty neat models, and the Roller Coaster is one of the most interesting builds I've seen in a while.  Other than wanting more track, I can't really complain about much on it, and making the model any bigger would have made it even more expensive. 

Nice, I've been tempted by the roller coaster, but I need to keep my LEGO buys in check... already spent too much this year. 

And then I grabbed a 42056 Lego Technic Porsche from Amazon around black friday for $220 since it's usually $290-$300.

I was able to find the big snowspeeder brand new on auction, https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Snowspeeder-75144 , for about $150(normally $200).  I just finished getting it together and it's a nice set.  But I understand why they put a stand in with it.  It is super fragile in some spots.  The last two pieces that cover the engine bays would not fit in at all unless the wings were as far down as they would go.  Which was/is a total pain since they move around quite a bit and would/do pop those two pieces off if the wings would come up.  And then the two front small wings in front of the cockpit started coming off.  So I found a few other pieces from one of my son's unused sets to help reinforce those two wings.  Nothing I can do about the engine bay pieces aside from try my damnedest to keep the wings down.  

Also picked up a small X-wing, https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/X-Wing-Starfighter-75218 , in the same auction for about $40(normally $80).  Someone had defiled it with the Kra-gle, but I was fortunately able to get it all together and thankfully all of the pieces were still there.  

I was also almost able to pick up the huge Y-wing in that auction, but missed the end by about 5 minutes.