LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Punisher - Netflix Marvel Series

That looks awesome.  I gotta say, there is so much kicking and punching and melodrama and humor to hide the absurdity of these on the ground Marvel shows, it feels like a huge relief to get a more serious, dark, all-american revenge guns blazing story.  It almost feels like a cleanse after watching so many hours of double-dragon come to life.

Though I understand why it isn't tactful to cast a light on this show so soon after a shooting tragedy.

So no ones watching? I’m on the last episode and good christ this show is absolutely brutal in its depiction of violence. It does so without being over the top either but man this a solid 13 hours of adult level entertainment here. It’s honestly the least Marvel show to have ever marveled. I mean that as a compliment as the recent combo of crap Iron Fist and utterly lackluster Defenders has left me worried about the future of Marvel television. The Punisher is ground level Marvel finding it’s balls again and rediscovering what made the first season of Daredevil so damned good.

Expectations need to be adjusted here. If you go in wanting a full season of Daredevil S2 Punisher - you’ve got the wrong show. What you do get is a thoughtful exploration of Frank Castle as a man who lost his family and who still can’t find peace. In parallel, it’s a show that  explores the horrors of war, how it affects soldiers on the battlefield and what it means to try to live a life after having served your country. The addition of Micro as a man who has lost his family in an entirely different way and how Frank interacts with him and that family makes for some of the shows best moments. Yeah, people will no doubt bitch about the Punisher being put into a position of makeshift dad to another mans family but it’s a means to an end that deepens what would otherwise be a very black and white killing machine of a character.

There’s no goofy “The Hand” shit here. Just a good old government conspiracy to unravel. Some of it falls into pretty standard tropes and there’s a side story involving a young soldier who goes down a dark path that doesn’t entirely gel but it’s missteps are few and it’s never not engaging even when it suffers from the usual “Damn Marvel, this doesn’t need to be 13 episodes!” syndrome. Oh and Jon Bernthal was born to play this role!

Seriously, best Marvel series since DD S1 in my book and consider some of my faith restored.

• Like 1

I finished it this morning. I absolutely loved it. Ultra-violent for sure, but damn are there great personal moments scattered throughout the whole season. He’s a killing machine, and so much more. 

I’d rank this as one of Marvel’s and Netflix’s best collaborations. Probably THE best work they’ve done. And it so washes the taste of Iron Fist and Defenders out of your mouth. 

....aaaand finished. I really enjoyed it. I think grounding it in just reality made it a much better show.... probably. I skipped all the other Marvel stuff after DareDevil - it all seemed absurd level of silly to stick with them for many episodes.

Like Romier said not exactly an original plot line but it was very well executed. Production values are great (great looking 4K + Dolby Vision) - that RED EPIC dragon camera delivers great results here (Walking dead crew, take note here. This is a gritty show no need for excessive yucky grain, subtle does it). The fighting choreography was great, maybe not as spectacular as in Dare Devil season 1 but again really well executed. 

"Shane" kills it of course... he does great in these type of characters (his face does help a lot haha).

12 hours ago, AlbertA said:

....aaaand finished. I really enjoyed it. I think grounding it in just reality made it a much better show.... probably. I skipped all the other Marvel stuff after DareDevil - it all seemed absurd level of silly to stick with them for many episodes.

Congratulations, you chose wisely. Of course any decision that helped you avoid Danny Rand is automatically a winning choice.

• Like 1

Nah Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were good. IF and Defenders not so much,

One episode of Punisher left and it is my favorite Marvel Netflix series behind Daredevil.

2 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Nah Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were good. IF and Defenders not so much,

One episode of Punisher left and it is my favorite Marvel Netflix series behind Daredevil.

I agree, but everyone's taste and/or tolerance is different. I would say that if his instincts were to watch DareDevil, skip, skip, skip skip, watch Punisher, I'd venture that he maximized his enjoyment potential. 

Yeah I didn't give Jessica Jones a chance, I only saw the first episode and it didn't engage with me that much. For Luke cage the trailer didn't do it for me so I skipped it completely.

Perhaps I should revisit these two... once I run out of things to watch  :)

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

Yeah I didn't give Jessica Jones a chance, I only saw the first episode and it didn't engage with me that much. For Luke cage the trailer didn't do it for me so I skipped it completely.

Perhaps I should revisit these two... once I run out of things to watch  :)

Both of them have some extremely long parts in the second half of their seasons.  FYI.  Probably still worth watching, but those sections can get tiring.  

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were both fantastic 10 episode series that felt the need to stretch to 13 episodes to the detriment of the storytelling.

The first 8 episodes of Luke Cage in particular are top tier. It just goes on for another 5 exhausting and needless episodes.:/

As much as I enjoyed this series, I feel like it could have been trimmed down to ten episodes and not really suffered greatly in the process.

Good timing, finally got around to finishing it last night. Liked it, didn't love it. I am interested in seeing where the series could go beyond the first season. It felt like the first season was just stuck in the origin-story-mud.