LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Mark E

Dropmix

So, I picked up the latest from Harmonix, their collaboration with Hasbro, Dropmix.

It’s an app and card game number that has different play modes but the basic point is that you lay cards with embedded RFID tags containing clips of songs onto the board and it blends them into a mashup as you play.

Downside, it is goddamn expensive, like $99 US right now. Upside, it is so damn cool. The tech in this product just blows my mind - it knows how to blend things perfectly and the response times when you place cards on and off the board are lighting fast.

It comes with 60 cards and they have four genre packs of 15 cards and two ‘series’ of 30 card boosters out. After my initial trial, I legit want every single card I can get my hands on. I have yet to try the ‘game’ bits proper, but even just messing with it is a lot of fun. I am hoping it will have both availability and longevity.

When I was struggling to figure out what to do with a Barnes and Noble coupon on Monday, I figured out that I could've gotten DropMix for $69.96 + tax.  (They took $10 off after adding it to the cart, and the 20% off coupon brought it down another $20.)  I came really close to pulling the trigger, but I've read that it's more fun with 2v2 than 1v1, and since it'd probably just be me and my wife playing most of the time, I wound up passing.  It does look ridiculously cool, though, and I can see myself getting sucked in before the year's out.

Trying to find the 15-card play packs and series 1 & 2 packages when you aren’t in the US to physically hunt for them is pure nightmare right now.

It’s apparently high in demand or a piss-poor rollout or both.