LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Commentocracy -Jim Sterling

I posted one of these in another thread and there’s a new episode up I figured I’d share. These crack me up. :) It’s basically Sterling reading gamer comments from forums and social media as an 18th century aristocrat. This weeks episode:

”Rrrrrroyston.....this is bollocks!” :lawl

32 minutes ago, Graeme said:

New one! Shenmue!

Damn it, Graeme, you beat me to it!

Oh, well... Here’s his Jimpressions video on the Shenmue remaster for context. He really did not like it.

• Like 1

I ony have two “plats”.... Suddenly everything wrong in my life becomes clear. I like the little outtake at the very end of the Shenmue commentocracy.

Also, hot take, I don’t really disagree with his Shenmue remasterd review. 

51 minutes ago, King of All Cosmos said:

Jim is one of the best commentators on the video game industry, but his taste in games is just shit.

I couldn’t help but read this in his Commentocracy voice. At least you spelled all the words correctly. 

• Like 1

I give it the lowest score possible....an 8/10 really had me laughing. It’s perfect. 

I honestly cant remember enough of Shenmue to tell if I agree with his criticism of the game (I do t remember having to waste time doing nothing) but I remember it being a complete slog to get through. I pushed myself to do it though because Shenmue is a game I was supposed to like. 

Its not not something I want to revisit. 

I’m an avowed Shenmue fan but I can’t blame someone for feeling the way he does. It’s most certainly a game of its era (even beyond its peers frankly) but modern quality of life improvements in games today may make certain elements feel tedious, etc. 

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’m an avowed Shenmue fan but I can’t blame someone for feeling the way he does. It’s most certainly a game of its era (even beyond its peers frankly) but modern quality of life improvements in games today may make certain elements feel tedious, etc. 

Right. I love that both are in wide circulation. They deserve to be, and I will grab the remastered release at some point, but I don’t feel compelled to rush back and revisit them. Had they been full on remakes it’d be a different story, and I’m keen to play 3, obviously. 

Rrrrrooooyston! 

That’s great lol.

There’s no reason to not have more accessibility options. As a “hard core” gamer, my enjoyment of Sekiro doesn’t change if someone gets to play it on easy. That said, they’d be missing out.:)

I'm sure they'd be missing out, but as we've both commented in the Sekiro thread the core of the fighting is about parry timing; you even made the direct link to Guitar Hero muscle memory. But Rock Band games managed to be great fun across a wide range of difficulties, so I can see how (with what I'm sure would be a lot of work) they could allow the less coordinated to face either fewer, less complex or less timing-sensitive attacks.

It's really noticeable, though, that they've already done a lot of work to make the game accessible to those of us who couldn't even read the Bloodborne boss attacks, in order to react to them. They've clearly decided where they want the challenge and where they don't.