LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Solo: A Star Wars Story

The funny thing about age of ultron is people think it bombed. Original Avengers made 1.518 billion world wide, Age of Ultron made 1.405 billion. In the US it made less, but made more international. It’s not even close to the gap of TFA and TLJ

Right, and that's the problem. What the hell is a "bomb" now? Right now these movies are bomb proof whether they make more or a little less than their predecessors, but still we get a lot of click bait headlines about this kind of thing.

For me it’s always looking at its budget, as I have no idea what there internal numbers are. As you said Marvel movies are all different characters usually, but they all have made their money back and more. Same with Star Wars. None so far have shit the bed.

We do know one that “bombed” from many insider leaks.Justice League barely made its money back after all the reshoots, delays, and advertising.

Outside of records being broken, box office really only interests me when there's a filmmaker who I wan't to have success so he/she can hopefully keep making films. I think it's going to be a long time before we see any Star Wars or Marvel film and think "gee, I hope this makes enough so they can make some more"... :) To that end I'm not overly concerned what these movies make anymore. I do think that Star Wars is the more fragile franchise in the minds of filmgoers, however. I'm not quite convinced there are endless possibilities for stories to tell in that universe. Whatever the hell Solo cost, and it is surely quite a lot since they had to bring in Howard, I'm sure Disney and Lucasfilm have pretty realistic expectations and are able to write off any loss (if there is one).

It's encouraging that they are not planning to hide it from critics by delaying press screenings to the 11th hour. I've still no interest in a Han Solo origin story. It's another answer to a question I never felt was worth asking, but nevertheless I hope it's fun as that's all that matters at this point. The trailers are well edited, but I'm holding out for word of mouth before I decide how soon I'll go and see it.

I've heard there are no embargoes on "Solo" after it premieres at Cannes, so we'll find out pretty soon.  Disney must be pretty confident in it, if that's the case.

• Like 1

Early Twitter reaction from the premiere tonight seems to be pretty positive. The main complaint seems to be that it’s a little slow at the start. Lando apparently steals the show. 

I’m a bit more encouraged by this. Maybe this is one I can just sit and enjoy instead of it having a weight of expectations. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-a-star-wars-story-first-reactions-premiere-1110688

• Like 1

Definitely encouraging. I think I am tied up on the 25th so will be interested to hear what you guys things as I doubt I will catch it until after opening weekend.

*edit* Noticed UK release is actually 24th, so might actually be able to see it then if word of mouth is good enough beyond the nerd blog/vlog circuit. No matter what I am really looking forward to John Powell's score as he's a terrific composer.

• Like 1

Speaking of Powell's score, the Score Documentary podcast seems to have an upcoming episode with him and have shared some snippets on Youtube:

The score album opens with a concert version of Williams' new theme for Han, and credits him as having conducted it too so presumably that one track was recoded in the US (as Powell's work was all at Abbey Road. I believe Powell picked a variety of players from several orchestras rather than this marking a return to Star Wars for the LSO)

On 5/11/2018 at 12:15 AM, Graeme said:

Early Twitter reaction from the premiere tonight seems to be pretty positive. The main complaint seems to be that it’s a little slow at the start. Lando apparently steals the show. 

I’m a bit more encouraged by this. Maybe this is one I can just sit and enjoy instead of it having a weight of expectations. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-a-star-wars-story-first-reactions-premiere-1110688

There's plenty of impressions that aren't all that positive as well though. Sounds like the first act is rough.

Review embargo ends late Tuesday. I don't have plans to see it until June 9th.

Not surprised at all. I also expect Billy Dee to show up in Episode IX.

Premiere posted an update:

Following the publication of our article, Lucasfilm informs us that there would have been a misunderstanding between our journalist and Kathleen Kennedy. “We would love to tell a story about Lando Calrissian one day, but it’s not relevant, it would be fun to tell the story of Han and Chewie …”

I hope Lando shows up in 9, though I wouldn't bet on it.

He’ll pull off a Leia mask, say “it was me a all along!” and lead the Resistance to victory. 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

He’ll pull off a Leia mask, say “it was me a all along!” and lead the Resistance to victory. 

He'll shoot Rey in the head "This is the empire, don't catch you slippin' now"

Really fun film, hope we get another. Ehrenreich gets better as the film goes on, and by the second half is terrific, as is Glover as Lando.

• Like 1

Starts a little slow, but once it gets moving, it's a great ride.  Hopefully Disney is smart enough to lock up Glover for a few more films...

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Really not sure when I'll catch it. Perhaps next week. 

I'm enjoying Powell's score.

The score is great. There are parts where music cues from ESB show up in perfect spots.

Haven't hit any references yet (I'm only seven tracks in). I'm surprised how much it echoes Powell's (wonderful) How to Train Your Dragon scores. It's often very rousing and tribal. I've always been very fond of Powell. Along with Harry Gregson Williams he's by far one of the best to have come out of Zimmer's stable years ago to have actually developed his own sense of style and not turn into a Zimmer clone. His score is the only good thing about X-Men 3.

I hope Disney consider him for more Star Wars projects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

There are parts where music cues from ESB show up in perfect spots.

That turned out to be one of my least favourite tracks as it happens (I'm assuming it is track 15 on the album, amusingly titled Reminiscence Therapy). The callbacks seem rather haphazardly strung together and often like callbacks for the sake of callbacks. Doesn't feel appropriate hearing the main Star Wars fanfare here and there either since that was always intended to double as Luke's theme. Always nice to hear rebel motifs though. On the whole it's a great score and I'm keen to hear it within the context of the movie. Powell's love theme is fantastic. It'd be great if he is picked to score Johnson's trilogy or something where he can flex even more muscle on delivering new themes. 

Yeahhh. Weird having the main heme/Luke's theme fanfare there. Rebel fanfare would do, but I guess over time it could be argued that the main theme has been taken away from Luke so it's ultimately moot.

These cues are two of my favourites from the album: