LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Most of the characters in marvel movies are not huge sellers of comic books. Even now you will not find Iron Man, Thor, Guardians or Captain America at the top of the sales list. It’s usually Spider-Man , X-men , Star Wars or a big event book from Marvel in the Top 10.

I am not saying they should do a stand alone Ahsoka film (even if I would enjoy that). Start adding these other characters in to expand the movie universe , not as just pop ins with no explanation for people who do not know them. 

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

The one one thing I do disagree on Daniel is the point that SW does not have a long history and characters to work from. They have had 30 plus years of really good books, comics, games, animated series , etc to work off of. Some of the best characters from the Universe are not from the movies. Thrawn, Ahsoka, Rex , Cade Skywalker, and Mara Jade just to name a few. They could have really good new films if done by the right folks, and some extended planning.

Yes, but there's a definite difference between the Star Wars EU and Marvel's long history. Marvel's history is one established by that of its many individual characters who often crossover. That's what that world is, and the movies have successfully become a reflection of that. Yes the movies over time have ultimately come to rely on viewers to keep up with the films to have a sense of who is who and what's going on, but they've never asked a viewer to have knowledge of the source material outside of the cinematic universe itself. The Star Wars machine was never established like that, nor should it be a formula to try and have it emulate. 

Star Wars is a brand established by and most widely known for its movies. Everything else was merely a supplement that a vast quantity of fans never consumed. That in itself is not necessarily a reason not to cull from the EU for inspiration, mind you, as they have in fact been doing, or even referring to it purely for little hidden nods to the more heavily invested fans (heck, I never consumed much EU stuff by choice but the Aurra Sing gag in Solo made me laugh, though admittedly because it was such a throwaway line about the demise of a character I remember fans going nuts for in 1999 because of that one shot of her watching the damn pod race, and how she became a thing in the EU thereafter). My personal feeling is I want new stories and new characters rather than adaptations of stories that have already been written, not least because investing that heavily on existing material hinders the creative talent being brought in to make these new movies in the first place, but also because I want Lucasfilm to make good on their claim that they see Star Wars as a universe of infinite new stories and possibilities. 

Here's me watching Solo

giphy.gif

Did not like this film overall, I enjoyed about the last 20-30 minutes, the rest was mostly a mess with some fun, and many cringe worthy moments.  L3-37 is the worst Star Wars character since Jar Jar.

Got a chance to watch this on the plane yesterday, and it was OK, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Rogue One.

From a continuity standpoint though, I guess this doesn't square with the line from ESB where the implication was that Han had a choice of ships that he could have won from Lando, and he chose the Falcon, rather than it being just a game for the falcon in the first place.  I also wasn't thrilled with the idea of Lando being a card cheat, but I suppose it made for a plot point? 

I did think the mention of Teras Kasi was hilarious though.  Fan-servicey in joke for sure, but it worked. 

It's OK isn't it? I'm quite keen to see it again, but don't feel compelled to own it.

I was ruffled by the way Lando was written. A coward, a cheat, and some kind of weird space pimp. The character, and indeed Glover who I am extremely fond of, deserved better. 

If anyone knows where I might be able to watch/obtain the Target exclusive special feature on the Millennium Falcon ride at Disney’s theme parks, please let me know. 

We we don’t have Target in Canada. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Graeme said:

If anyone knows where I might be able to watch/obtain the Target exclusive special feature on the Millennium Falcon ride at Disney’s theme parks, please let me know. 

We we don’t have Target in Canada. 

You Tube.  Everything gets downloaded on there, and I saw 2 videos about that ride just today.

Ok. I didn’t see it on there last night. There are plenty of videos about the feature, but not the actual featurette.