LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Mega Man 11 Coming Late 2018 (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC)

12 minutes ago, JFo said:

Do you know what it reminds me of? Viewtiful Joe. Same idea with the slow motion move in that game. I suppose if you like fast-paced platforming and shooting in your games, having the ability to slow time down ruins that for you.

That's a great comparison.

Henshin a go go, baby.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

Mega Man, as a series, seems to be in this weird place. Fans expect it to adhere to a strict design philosophy set by the early games -- particularly Mega Man 2 and -- but it can neither change too much nor too little. If it changes too much, they say it doesn't feel like a Mega Man game anymore. If it doesn't change enough, it's just the same old, same old. The question is, what is the exact right amount of change that would satisfy people like Colin? My gut tells me nothing would. No matter what Capcom does, he won't be happy either way.

Yep. I found the overall review pretty confused between adherence to fandom and inability to deal with change. I didn't particularly find Megaman 9 or 10 to be terribly memorable entries into the series so my own bias may be at play there as well. They were mostly fine but I certainly didn't spend a month on either or feel they were worthy of immediate revisit like the first 3 original games.

The continued knock on the visuals and music is dumbfounding to me. I think the game looks stellar and is a wonderful visual evolution. Another faux 8-bit entry into the series would have left me cold and the series must eventually evolve past that. The X series did so to varying degrees of success but I think 11 handles it wonderfully. The music poor? I was humming the fuse theme after I was done playing last night for 15 minutes afterwards. I can't speak for the rest of the game but from the footage I've sampled across the various stages, it sounds pretty great. I wonder if the music were done in an 8-bit arrangement, would people be more accepting of it? Funny that folk are already testing that theory.

I'm loving this game. It took me a bit to take down my first boss because I was determined to do it on Normal without using an E Tank. After playing a bit longer though, I've realized it's not that hard to rack up currency to buy items like E tanks and extra lives from the shop. You'll easily accumulate over 1,000 and tanks are 100. I think that will help balance out the ruthlessness of some levels.

I haven't tried every stage yet, but If you're looking for a good stage to start on, I felt 

Spoiler

Acid Man's

was one of the easier ones so far. And during the Boss battle, once you get his pattern down, he can easily be beaten with the regular Mega Buster and you can avoid all damage once you know what to do. 

Finished Tomb Raider and immediately started this up with a new game. I’m playing on Normal at the moment. Block Man, Acid Man and Fuse Man all down. Spoiler on a boss weakness:

Acid Man’s weakness is Block Man’s weapon.:)

I’ll post them in spoilers as I discover them for anyone interested in making their lives easier. Cameron, you’re absolutely right. I highly recommend buying part upgrades as well. They are super useful!

The game is tough as nails but it’s fun as hell!

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

When Romier says this I stay away.

It's in line with the previous games in the series in so far as difficulty in level design and boss fights, etc. so it certainly shouldn't scare you away if you have had any experience with those games . I grew up playing and beating the earlier games before emulation brought about save and restore points, etc. It's part of the fun! I would say that 11 is more accessible than the NES games. As Cameron mentioned, the currency and shop gives you a number of ways to work through the levels. The rest is just skill/practice. In other words....

P58W8i3.png 

:D

• Like 1

Yeah the biggest payoff of this game (and other Mega Mans) is playing the stages over and over and mastering them. What once seemed impossible becomes the conquered.

The moment I beat the boss mentioned above with no E tank and taking little damage was like :banderas:

The game also a baby ass baby mode for you Keith.

This Balloon weapon is really good. The particular stage and boss it worked really well on was 

Spoiler

Fuse Man. It will even take out those stationary beam shooters completely in that stage. You can literally just kill them. And it wipes our Fuse Man pretty quickly and easily. Rubber over Electricity!

6 down, 2 to go. Torch Man and Blast Man left. A few other weaknesses:

Tundra Man is weak to Fuse Man’s weapon.

Wreck Bounce Man with Impact Man’s weapon.

All 8 down. Obviously

Torch Man is weak to Tundra Man’s wind attack and Blast Man is laughably easy using Torch Man’s weapon. Especially using the power gear. Literally takes 4 shots. Since I started with Block Man that tells me Blast Man’s weapon should be Block Man’s weakness. Unless that damages Impact man? Though Acid Man’s could  also be Impact Man’s weakness? Or vice verse? Considering Blast Man’s weapons are small detonated bombs, it makes sense for them to be damaging to Block Man.

• Like 1

First play through done!  The Wily castle was pretty typical Megaman including the anticipated boss rush so that weakness info is much needed. The final boss battle was a bit easy but considering the levels leading up to him were pretty tough, I can’t complain.

Wonderful game! I don’t know where to rank it but I can say that I liked it more than the 8-bit reincarnations they did with 9 and 10. Bring on 12 using this engine. I’ll be there day one. Now to try my hand at Superhero mode.

• Like 1

I haven’t had time to play through it more, and I was wondering if there was a boss rush. I’ll be doing superhero mode later for sure. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 12:36 AM, Romier S said:

I’m playing on Normal at the moment.

Reveal hidden contents

Acid Man’s weakness is Block Man’s weapon.:)

The game is tough as nails but it’s fun as hell!

I don't think this is Romier.  Those two sentences have never appeared in the same post.

Two bosses in. This game isn’t perfect, but it’s so close to the original Mega Man series experience that I really don’t care.

Watching your play get better as you learn patterns and tricks is still so satisfying. And you can just cheese the item shop if you’re having a huge problem.

I started with Fuse Man, he had the easiest stage for me to work through so he got the nod.

• Like 1

Torch Man’s stage can die. The second race section is the most egregious I’ve gone through since the Battletoads speeder bikes.

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

Torch Man’s stage can die. The second race section is the most egregious I’ve gone through since the Battletoads speeder bikes.

Did you kill Tundra man?

If not

his wind weapon actually freezes that big firewall so go kill him first.

• Like 1

Yeah, no, fucking done with this for now. After getting clobbered going through Torch Man, I lost my save somehow when I went to turn it off after dying in Block Man’s stage.

Life is too short. Sad how fast I soured on this, but there’s challenge and fucking aggravation I don’t need in my life right now.

• Like 1

John Linneman of Digital Foundry has posted a video analyzing Mega Man 11.

The video is a half-review, half-analysis, of the game, which he adores. Hearing him rave about it gets me excited to eventually play it myself at some point, hopefully soon. 

• Like 1

Still pressing through Tropical Freeze which is serving as a painful reminder that my brain is wired terribly for timed pattern recognition platforming. 

I still want this. :)