LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Disney closing in on a deal to buy 20th Century Fox. Valued at over 60 billion. Could announce next week...

The mouse swallows the fox...

X-Men and company coming home along with all distribution rights to the Star Wars films.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's A&E, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.

The enterprise value of the Fox assets in the Disney deal is seen as above $60 billion, according to sources. Current Fox shareholders would get one share of the Fox company that remains after the movie and television assets are sold plus shares of Disney in a fixed exchange ratio.

X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four,SW, Predator, Aliens, Avatar, Blade Runner, Die Hard, Willow... that is just a small batch only on the movie side.

This is such an insane, even somewhat grotesque as far as a monopoly is concerned, turn of events. 

I fear Disney treating the non franchise Fox movie catalogue as poorly as they treat their own when it comes to Blu-ray and UHD. 

Well if they did not have enough for their streaming service, they do now. It is an insane monopoly, but I am happy we will finally get a proper FF film.

It does seem mind-boggling that this isn't a monopoly issue, yes. It's the largest studio of 2016 buying the third-largest, to make a total of 39.7% of all US box office receipts.

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four,SW, Predator, Aliens, Avatar, Blade Runner, Die Hard, Willow... that is just a small batch only on the movie side.

I’m sure Willow is the big reason for this merger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Well if they did not have enough for their streaming service, they do now. It is an insane monopoly, but I am happy we will finally get a proper FF film.

My favorite comic book growing up was the Fantastic Four (John Byrne's run). After 3 disappointing attempts, let's hope Marvel (with full creative control) will be able to do them some justice!

It will be interesting to see if Marvel had a contingency plan for getting so many characters available for the MCU or if everything is already too planned out through 2019.

Nothing is ever set in stone until it's released and they have plenty of time for films after 2019/2020, it certainly makes the possibilities of Phase 4 (or whatever they are calling it) and beyond very exciting.

19 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’m sure Willow is the big reason for this merger. 

I hold out hope for a new film.

As for Marvel, they have adjusted releases before when spider-man deal happened, and dropped Inhumans. We know Spidey 2 will be first film of Phase 4, and Gunn has been working on the GoTG3 script. Nothing else is set in stone yet.

Do they not already have Willow? I thought that's why the Fox Blu-ray went out of print. 

When will Tower of Terror at the Hollywood Studios Park in Florida become Die Hard: Nakatomi Break-out?

They probably own the characters for sure, but maybe not the distribution rights?

Does Fox even own any rights to Willow? The film was distributed by MGM. 

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

When will Tower of Terror at the Hollywood Studios Park in Florida become Die Hard: Nakatomi Break-out?

I look forward to them turning the Stitch encounter at Magic Kingdom into an Alien encounter!

Just now, Graeme said:

I look forward to them turning the Stitch encounter at Magic Kingdom into an Alien encounter!

As it was intended to be from the beginning!

You do have to imagine that this will provide a potential content boost for IP within Hollywood Studios now.

I wonder how pissed Universal might now be at the thought of possibly having to pay Disney to use the Simpsons. 

15 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Does Fox even own any rights to Willow? The film was distributed by MGM. 

Oh yeah, so it was. I forgot that Fox distribute MGM's discs. I don't know why it went OOP though. 

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

This is such an insane, even somewhat grotesque as far as a monopoly is concerned, turn of events. 

Anti-trust laws in this county are optional at best.

12 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

'Merica, FUCK YEAH. 

To be entirely fair, concerns about a Disney monopoly need to be viewed within the structure of the market as it exists today. Content providers like Netflix and Amazon have rightfully diversified their platforms with a shift towards original content for years for this very reason. The dependence on those streaming services to license content from the Disney's of the world was never sustainable.  As these big content providers like Disney try to push their own streaming service and  when they no doubt attempt to wall off certain content from the big key players to get a competitive advantage - the Netflix of the world can lean on the portfolio of original content they've produced to keep their subscriber base.

I still think it's fundamentally a problem to allow a company like Disney to eat up too much of their competition. Sony pictures has been a mess for years - are they next? Or any other studios for that matter? A line has to be drawn and we've done a pretty terrible job of that. Comcast comes to mind immediately. The more content hoarded by a single company, the less competition and the worst off we are as consumers who want access to that content

What I'd want to know is what they actually plan to do with Fox as a company. Would Fox continue to exist as a Disney subsidiary like Touchstone? Hardly any movies get made under the Touchstone banner anymore, so it's not like Disney seem to have an active interest in producing a lot of comedies, dramas, quirky low budget films from new talent, or action films that have no ties to an IP.  They'd end up owning the Fox Studio lot presumably, but would it stay as Fox or be re-branded as a Disney LA studio in addition to their existing Burbank lot? Fox has over 80yrs of amazing golden age history that I'd shudder to see Disney piss away.

I know the comic fans are wetting themselves over this potential deal, but I'm far more concerned about how Disney would handle the studio's history and its catalogue as it would strike me that the chance of seeing a lot of classic Fox titles on UHD for example will be a lot smaller under the Mouse given what little shit Disney give about their own live action heritage, and I'd worry that they'd also put an end to the licensing deals Fox currently embrace with a lot of niche Blu-ray labels like Criterion, Eureka...etc since Disney refuse to even licence our the stuff they're not interested in releasing themselves.

On the other hand, do they want Fox production assets precisely so they can invest more in the type of films Fox is already into releasing?

While I share concerns about consolidation, it’s hard to argue that 40 percent of box office receipts constitutes a monopoly in this day and age. In and of itself, that only constitutes a single revenue stream for either company. And as Romier said, the blurring of lines between distribution and content creators makes the pie much bigger.

Remember that Microsoft only had to let Apple keep (and indeed, prop Apple up enough to keep) a few percentage points to prevent itself from being declared a monopoly back in the dark times, before the Internet.

The hope is that Disney, who seem to be buying for the rights and back catalogue, will let Fox carry on being Fox when it comes to making new films; whether that's as a semi-independent subsidiary or even selling them off again minus the catalogue. The fear is that we won't see more of the sort of movies Fox make, but the Mouse House don't like near their brand.

Disney have released plenty of films that are aimed at adults (not like that, you dirty old men) through Touchstone, arms-length Miramax and Dimension etc. but each one only seems to last until the general public recognise that the latest movie with guns and swears in is actually made by those kid films people, before being left to wither.

19 hours ago, kelley said:

How much of that 40% was comic book movies?  Those eventually will run out of steam.

We can only hope. 

• Like 1