LCVG
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2018

Kingsman The Golden Circle - Like what the fuck? I dug the hell out of the first movie and I don’t know what to think of this one. It’s just batshit bonkers in ways that don’t entirely work for me. I mean the original wasn’t shooting for realism but it was centered on a specific feel/tone while the sequel is the equivalent of a teenager on meth for parts and that same teenager coming down for others. It’s all over the place and that’s probably why my thoughts are as well. There’s some fun action sequences and the core characters remain engaging but talk about jumping the shark. At least Elton John was fun.:)

• Like 2

The appeal of Fantastic Beasts line is that it's the adults who are center stage for the films.  That and a fat guy from the first movie is one of the gang.

Sorry To Bother You - This is one of those weird split personality movies - the trailer suggests a certain kind of over the top hyper-realistic satire, the first half builds on that to a crescendo, and then bam, it hits you in the head & takes you to an altogether different end spot. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, the confusion, the build-up, but not for everyone. 

Boots Riley & the crew of this are going places. 

Into the Spider-verse is one of the best movies of the year and best superhero films ever made. Nuff said.

If you’re even partially aware of Spider-man it’s in-joke city. The post credit sequence is absolutely amazing and ridiculous.

• Like 4

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - It's alright, but it feels like I might enjoy it more were I British and enjoyed fascination with British view's of bureaucracy and absurdity.

Maybe. The HHGTTG movie really split British audiences, too. The almost dismissive way it runs through the stuff straight from the source, skipping punchlines and generally failing to engage with the rhythm of the original dialogue is infuriating. But everything ‘new’ it does, and a lot of the visual design it brings are wonderful. 

Everyone’s favourite version is the one they met first, though. 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:22 PM, dogbert said:

Sorry To Bother You - This is one of those weird split personality movies - the trailer suggests a certain kind of over the top hyper-realistic satire, the first half builds on that to a crescendo, and then bam, it hits you in the head & takes you to an altogether different end spot. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, the confusion, the build-up, but not for everyone. 

Boots Riley & the crew of this are going places. 

Yeah. You summed up my experience too. I did enjoy it, but I was a little disoriented for a bit.

it was also fun scoping out the Oakland locations. I basically live in Oakland (it surrounds tiny Emeryville, which is technically where I live). So I noticed a bunch of familiar places.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iainl said:

Maybe. The HHGTTG movie really split British audiences, too. The almost dismissive way it runs through the stuff straight from the source, skipping punchlines and generally failing to engage with the rhythm of the original dialogue is infuriating. But everything ‘new’ it does, and a lot of the visual design it brings are wonderful. 

Everyone’s favourite version is the one they met first, though. 

I watched this again recently. Huge fan of the books & the BBC tv version (which I rewatched bits of recently too). I think I'd describe the movie as a version made by someone who experienced it all second-hand through someone else's description. Gets a lot of details right, does it all on a grand scale, but misses some of the punch of the jokes + satire, and definitely doesn't necessarily understand its characters IMO. Don't mind it, but it's not a great adaptation. 

• Like 4

Spider-man: Into The Spider-verse - Thought this was obscenely entertaining. Ingeniously executed on every level. I’m baffled as to how it even exists. What an absolute delight of a movie.

• Like 2
  • Epic Post 1

The Predator:  This was mildly entertaining.  And the cast wasn't half bad either, for the most part.  Early on there are some nice callbacks in the soundtrack to the original film.  There are other, some cheesy and some funny, callbacks too.  And I laughed my ass off when Sterling K. Brown's character

Spoiler

decides he's going to use the Predator shoulder cannon, which we learn auto-fires when attacked.  So as he's looking around and gets attacked he happens to look the wrong way in the big finale battle and blows his own head off.

I was like wtf, did that just happen?  I don't see myself revisiting this one, but it was a good rental.  

In so far as Predator, I didn’t hate it but man it feels slap sticky as fuck at times. Not what I expected or wanted. I would have preferred the traitor Predator stick around longer because the looney unit wasn’t nearly as interesting as Shane Black thought they were. The first 20 or so minutes are actually pretty sweet. Olivia Munn going from mild mannered doctor to gun toting army badass was hilarious and the

“fuck me in the face with an aardvark”

line got me good...lol. My wife loved it, surprisingly. She hates everything.:)

A Simple Favor - a mediocre vehicle for Anna Kendrick to be Anna Kendrick on film, it's a mess of a comedy, failing to deliver on AWE GAHDAMMIT IT'S GOT BLAKE LIVELY IN IT! That's all you need to know allright?  It's as sucky movie as they get, but Blake Lively.  Did you hear what I said?  BLAKE LIVELY!

I give it 5 out of 5 Blake fucking Livelys.  

Carlos.

Edited by Carlucci
  • Like 2
  • Epic Post 1

8 minutes ago, Angel P said:

A Simple Favor?

Yep, can't even get the name right.  I'll change it. I legit tried to convince my wife that it was a great, funny movie just so we'd have an excuse to watch it again.  She didn't buy it. 

Carlos.

On 12/22/2018 at 10:52 AM, Carlucci said:

A Simple Request - a mediocre vehicle for Anna Kendrick to be Anna Kendrick on film, it's a mess of a comedy, failing to deliver on AWE GAHDAMMIT IT'S GOT BLAKE LIVELY IN IT! That's all you need to know allright?  It's as sucky movie as they get, but Blake Lively.  Did you hear what I said?  BLAKE LIVELY!

I give it 5 out of 5 Blake fucking Livelys.  

Carlos.

Mediocre is about right. Couldn’t wait for it to be over but, my oh my, Blake Lively. I didn’t think she could be more hot until she started with her r rated language. 😍

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What was the last truly great comedy or romcom?

The Big Sick.

Prior to that? Notting Hill (one of my favorites ever) and Bridget Jones Diary if we’re talking truly great. 

• Like 3

I tried watching JP Fallen Kingdom last night, but had to turn it off.  WTF was that shit. How can you make a JP movie that I wanted to turn off!!!!!!!  Glad Phil bought it 😂

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

What was the last truly great comedy or romcom?

It wasn't a romcom, but "Game Night" was a pretty great comedy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

The Big Sick.

Yeah that’s where my mind went to for rom com. Good choice.

Straight comedy I’m really struggling over. I almost want to say Thor Ragnarok. 😀  Perhaps the Lego movie? It’s interesting how those Farrely Bros and Apatow movements burnt out over time and nothing has really picked up the baton.