LCVG
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2018

It is fair to classify that as a comedy, right? I sat and watched that alone at home and genuinely laughed out loud more times than I can remember. I don’t know how well it plays outside of the Marvel bubble though, but it was the first MCU film two close friends saw and they loved it.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

The Big Sick.

Prior to that? Notting Hill (one of my favorites ever) and Bridget Jones Diary if we’re talking truly great. 

Amelie is in the top 1 for me.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, dogbert said:

I think I'd describe the movie as a version made by someone who experienced it all second-hand through someone else's description.

Wow, that's a perfect articulation of my impression as well.

• Like 1

Good choices, particularly the latter. The Other Guys I’ve seen only the once but it had a couple of moments that really had me howling (the biggest I cannot spoil, but it’s one of the funniest visual edits I can remember in a movie of recent memory).

The Other Guys actually reminds me of two big comedies for me, the Jump Street films. I loved both of those. I guess Lord and Miller are the ones who have been tickling my funny bone the most over the last five years, whether they’re directing or writing (Into the Spiderverse has some wonderful gags and funny lines).

2015’s Spy was hilarious. McCarthy’s stuff is hit or miss but that was a big hit for me. Jason Statham cracked me up throughout. I second Joel’s recommendation on “Game Night”. Conceptually it’s ridiculous but the cast carries it.

• Like 2

Bumblebee - Lots to like here, really enjoyed the look of the G1 Transformers on Cybertron and the smaller/more intimate feel compared to previous Transformers movies. What didn't work so much was John Cena's character and tying this into the Transformers canon with previous films vs a straight reboot of the franchise. The opening sequence is pure cartoon and it's wonderful.

• Like 3

Bird Box - Sandra Bullock is very good in this. The rest of the cast is equally up the task. There are good moments throughout and some suitably creepy scenes but the core concept is equally as problematic as the gimmick in “A Quiet Place”, except that film nails the execution. This film is only mildly successful by comparison. I just didn’t connect with its characters and Mallory’s character arch didn’t feel natural. It’s worth a watch if you want a decent horror flick but you’ve watched this movie before and it’s been done far better.

16 hours ago, Romier S said:

2015’s Spy was hilarious. McCarthy’s stuff is hit or miss but that was a big hit for me. Jason Statham cracked me up throughout. I second Joel’s recommendation on “Game Night”. Conceptually it’s ridiculous but the cast carries it.

I would pay good money to watch a sequel/spinoff of "Spy" revolving around Statham's Ford character.  

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 5:02 AM, Romier S said:

Bird Box - Sandra Bullock is very good in this. The rest of the cast is equally up the task. There are good moments throughout and some suitably creepy scenes but the core concept is equally as problematic as the gimmick in “A Quiet Place”, except that film nails the execution. This film is only mildly successful by comparison. I just didn’t connect with its characters and Mallory’s character arch didn’t feel natural. It’s worth a watch if you want a decent horror flick but you’ve watched this movie before and it’s been done far better.

Yeah I enjoyed it, but it’s a shame it came out so close to a quiet place which is better on every level. The ending they decided to go with also reminded me of another film with a similar surprise. The ending in the book is more extreme.

Blockers - definitely a more sex positive spin on the American Pie "genre", from a new perspective, even if it's all relatively tame in the grand scheme of things, compared to its predecessors. But I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

Game Night - I think this got a little overhyped for me ahead of time - was expecting a frothy caper that got a little twisted, but it didn't get twisted enough for me. Funny, good performances by the leads, and definitely enjoyable, but I wanted even more of a Fincher darkness to it. 

Blockers cracked me up repeatedly. Totally unexpected that John Cena has a bit of comedic genius in him. 

I give it 3.5 out of 5 eggplant emojis.  

Carlos.

• Like 1

Bird Box was a waste of my time. Poorly constructed scene after scene that totally fail to address questions of doubt the viewer may have. One example is the grocery store run. Given their situation that should have been a slow scene filled with stress and worry to the viewer. It would have taken hours -if not longer to make that run safely given the intense limitations. Instead, the film glosses over the challenge with nothing more than a few 'speed bumps' and totally fails to even address how elements of the trip were accomplished.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch was neat for what it was. Clever but I'm not sure if it was interesting enough to propel this format.

Bumblebee - E.T. filtered through the lens of G1 Transformers is the best way to describe this and I’m fine with that. It has more heart and entertainment factor than all of the Bayformer movies combined. The robot designs here are fantastic and the opening montage is a Transformers fan wet dream. The only real sore point with me is that John Cena is a laughable actor and not in a good way. His role could have literally been played by any established actor out there and it would have immediately improved any part of the movie he was in. Outside of that,  I hope the movie functions as just a pure reboot. The finale is ambiguous enough that it could be (and it retcons the autobots arrival from the original in the post credits). This is a nice starting point for where to take the franchise and well, I liked it. It finally brings Spielberg’s “a boy and his car” concept from the original film alive except with a female lead who is rather excellent. :)

• Like 2

Bandersnatch - I guess I wanted something like the white x-mas special. I understood what they were going for but left me unsatisfied. I wouldn't recommend it.

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It doesn’t seem to be doing very well so I fear that, if the franchise is to continue, it will swiftly return to the stylings of then previous eighteen movies.

Lots of competition right now between Aquaman/Mary Poppins/Spider-Verse, if it came out in January or February it may have performed better in the US market, It hasn't opened in many international markets (China) so there's still hope it can make a profit.

BirdBox - liked the Last of Us/Dawn of the dead remake intro - started strong. Then they wanted me to accept the silly medusa premise - I bit for a bit- until the camera experiment - and it lost me completely after that. Because the premise didn't grab me it didn't feel any suspense. Nothing interesting happened with the children. They glossed over how they managed to survive 5 years - oh well - a good effort but fell flat for me.

14 minutes ago, NickC said:

Lots of competition right now between Aquaman/Mary Poppins/Spider-Verse, if it came out in January or February it may have performed better in the US market, It's hasn't opened in many international markets (China) so there's still hope it can make a profit.

Yep. China is a huge market for these movies, too.