LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Celeste—A Must-Play 2D Maso-core Game (Steam, Switch, PS4, Xbox One)

On 1/7/2019 at 5:56 PM, JFo said:

I think this is what I did as well, but it's not always the best solution. There are times where I don’t want to grab onto a wall for whatever reason, and I have to remember to let go fo the button.

Definitely. My brain’s behaviour to reaction times simply seems better served by letting go rather than pressing the trigger.

Looking forward to playing more this weekend.

Into area 4, and starting to get harder for sure.  I've stopped trying to get every strawberry that I come across as I see it-I'll come back to it afterwards. 

I'm assuming that there's no persistent "upgrade" of skills, is there?  In the pico-8 levels, you get to a point where you get a double dash, but I'd assume that even if that was in the main game, it wouldn't travel back to earlier levels with you.  I suspect that it's possible that you could 100% this game on your first run through, and that skill is the only barrier to advancement. 

Up to 900 or so deaths too.  I like that there's a leaderboard for it, although I think it's backwards.  More deaths should be higher :)

I don’t think there are skill upgrades, no. The game even tells you that getting strawberries serves no purpose beyond showing off to friends (presumably it leads to an achievement). 

3 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

I'm assuming that there's no persistent "upgrade" of skills, is there?  In the pico-8 levels, you get to a point where you get a double dash, but I'd assume that even if that was in the main game, it wouldn't travel back to earlier levels with you.  I suspect that it's possible that you could 100% this game on your first run through, and that skill is the only barrier to advancement. 

Skill and perhaps knowledge of where everything is hidden. Some things on these levels are very well hidden. I would be surprised if someone was able to find everything—all strawberries, B-side cassettes, and hearts—the first time through.

If you replay a level you've already beaten, the conditions will always be the same as when you first played it.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I don’t think there are skill upgrades, no. The game even tells you that getting strawberries serves no purpose beyond showing off to friends (presumably it leads to an achievement). 

Not on Switch, it doesn’t!

:Cruise:

That said—and this is a super minor spoiler—the number of strawberries you collect does have a very small impact on the game's ending.

7 hours ago, JFo said:

If you replay a level you've already beaten, the conditions will always be the same as when you first played it.

Will strawberries etc that you've already found be back as well?  You don't have to get all of them in one run, do you?

37 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Will strawberries etc that you've already found be back as well?  You don't have to get all of them in one run, do you?

No. The strawberries, cassettes, etc. you’ve already found will still be collected. You won’t need to collect them again. Everything can be found and collected on each stage the first time you play it. No need to “level up” later in the game—assuming something like that even happens—in order to find everything. It’s just a matter of finding where they are hidden and executing the moves to actually get them.

Each chapter is even split off into sections in the main menu with an indicator to tell you how many strawberries are in each and which ones you haven’t collected yet. Once you complete a chapter, you can skip to that section immediately to find what you missed.

10 hours ago, JFo said:

Each chapter is even split off into sections in the main menu with an indicator to tell you how many strawberries are in each and which ones you haven’t collected yet. Once you complete a chapter, you can skip to that section immediately to find what you missed.

That's good to know-does it also let you save/quit once you've collected stuff, or do you still have to finish out the level? 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

That's good to know-does it also let you save/quit once you've collected stuff, or do you still have to finish out the level? 

You can dip in and out of levels whenever you like. No need to reach the end for it to save.

I think I'm done with this.  I ended up finishing the game, and going back and getting all the strawberries and crystal hearts in the first 7 levels.  Played through the core though, and even though I finished it, I don't think I'm going to try getting the last 4 strawberries I missed.  Crap that area is hard...

Took a quick pass at the first of the B sides, and those could take a while... 

• Epic Post 1

I think I'm done with this.  I ended up finishing the game, and going back and getting all the strawberries and crystal hearts in the first 7 levels.  Played through the core though, and even though I finished it, I don't think I'm going to try getting the last 4 strawberries I missed.  Crap that area is hard...

Hey, kudos to you for actually doing all 8 chapters. The game is not easy, and just getting to the summit in Chapter 7 is one hell of an accomplishment. Getting all the hearts so that you can do Chapter 8 deserves even more praise.

Took a quick pass at the first of the B sides, and those could take a while... 

So, wait, are you done, or aren’t you? It sounds like you might seriously be thinking about taking on those B-sides. 😉

I actually took a break from the game before really diving into the B-sides. I needed a break from it after completing Chapter 8. It helped me recharge my batteries so that I could tackle those levels without getting too frustrated and quitting. Even then, I got to one screen in the B-side of Chapter 8 that caused me to step away from the game again for several months.

I actually thought that the summit was easier in some ways than what came before it.  Hard platforming, but most of it (especially the last section) was pretty short challenges with checkpoints in between, so it was all about executing one thing well, and not having to repeat sections you'd mastered. 

Some of the rooms in chapter 8 are just brutal.  There was one with the fire/ice going up and down that I think was at least 100 tries to get through (bounce off the lava block, under a wall and up, switch, fall to a green crystal, up and over a spike, down to a crystal, over to another switch, then off a pop bumper to another switch and finally to the exit).  I ended up looking that one up just to get an idea of "how much of this is left".  There are a couple of areas in the game that definitely overstay their welcome, although this one ended up being probably 4 screens from the end, so not too bad. 

I may go back to it-I checked out a video of at least the first B-Side level just to see how long it was, and it all seems doable, if hard.  Just not sure I want to put any more time into it right now.  Maybe I'll come back to it after playing something else, but that also means losing any edge/familiarity with the game.  It also seems a shame to stop at 171/175 strawberries, but the ones in the core just seem super hard to get.  Again though, might be easier without the pressure of needing to finish the level. 

You know, I'm proud of the little videos I posted showing me beating some really hard levels in Celeste. With that in mind, here's a 10-minute video of a guy getting the Golden Strawberry on the B-Side for Chapter 7: The Summit:

Golden Strawberries, in case you don't know, can only be obtained if you complete an entire chapter from beginning to end without dying. 

I don't know what's more mesmerizing—watching someone play through this entire chapter flawlessly or hearing him smash the keys on his keyboard as he plays.