LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Octopath Traveler releases on Switch July 13th, 2018

I’m about an hour into the demo. The game is awesome. Beautiful art direction, great music and a simple but fun turn based combat system. Definitely a buy from me in July.

This game is Published outside of Japan by Nintendo, so Im assuming it will be permanent exclusive?

Did anybody grab this? I have a friend who sank like twenty hours into it over the weekend and apparently it’s sold out out physically all over the place... so it sounds like it’s doing something right.

It’s definitely a game I’d be buying if I had a Switch, I was hoping it was coming to other platforms when I first saw it awhile back. Looks like a great game.

And Switch owners/fans seem to be desperately starved for more big releases and Nintendo has made this to be one, in a way. I’m not surprised it’s sold out a a lot of places. Videos of this game have been coming up in my YouTube feed a lot as well.

After spending the past four days watching CohhCarnage play it on Twitch, it sold me on finally getting a Switch!  

• Like 1

I should try out the demo for this, but then again, I should also just go back and finish (probably restart) Bravely Default. 

• Like 1

I have one more section of the CPA exam to take before I have a life again.  I will definitely be playing this.

Well, I spent half an hour with Cyrus last night and I love the aesthetic and once the intro was out of the way I had a ton of fun with his story.

It doesn’t hurt that I basically used his special ability to size people up to solve a mystery, which is so in my wheelhouse it isn’t funny.

I went through the first combats and they were surprisingly long and tough for starters. I like the combat a lot, thus far.

Initial, very early, impressions are quite positive. The 2D look is really great. They do so many tricks with it that it doesn’t feel dated at all, just wonderfully retro.

• Like 1

Man, those boss battles are freaking long. I did the first bit of Ophilia’s story on a flight today and it was really good.

I’m starting to get side quests and I may be wrong but it looks like various characters’ special abilities may be the key to completing some of them.

The game is really well done. My estimation of it has gone up rather than down in the latest playing. I like how you start with character X by selecting them on the map, then have to go walking to locate other characters. So if I start with one and you start with another, we end up with much different second and third characters in proximity.

Combat is tough when ‘at level’ but gets easier as you go. It’s also got that great Bravely Default system of storing up charges for assaults.

Story-wise, I kind of love how it’s laid out. From what I gather, there’s no ‘grand evil behind the scenes everybody comes together’ moment unless you do optional content after the game ends. So far I respect that choice. These characters are interesting and have their own goals that don’t need grand overarching plots. And they have side vignettes with character interaction, which works just fine.

I’m very pro on it at present, gonna keep at it over the vacation (hopefully finishing my 2DS RPG too)

• Like 1

Have yet to see any of the side vignettes, but I’m 8 hours in and still have three characters to unlock. I’ve enjoyed all the stories so far, some more than others for sure, but none of them has felt terribly dull.

The merchant, Tressa, was probably the least so far, but I completely get her motivations and there are some nice touches to it.

This game hugs the 16-bit era so hard. I love the graphic design and they really use the power of the Switch to do lots of fun things with the environmental effects like water rippling in the sun, snow falling, trees rustling in the breeze, and the draw distance is fabulous.

This is sounding more and more fun, but I've started Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  It might be a while before I'm playing this one.

• Like 2

I liked the couple hours of Xenoblade 2 that I played, but I have to admit that I found the prospect of playing it for 100 hours rather daunting.

• Like 1

I’m 17.5 hours into this as of vacation’s end and it’s damn fine. Damn fine.

This is one of the best Square JRPGs I’ve played in a while. I’ve played only a couple combats where I was bored, which is a goddamn miracle this far in. It’s not repetitive and they give you great feedback and incentive to crush through the shields using weak points.

Grinding is not super fun, but I have only had to do it for an hour or so. And the battles move SO fast that it’s hard to complain too much.

Really, really enjoying this.

• Like 3

Ah, I’m back on this after the disasterpiece of my Mega Man 11 run.

I love how friendly it is to the pick up and play nature of the Switch - it took me about ten minutes to flag up the journal and refresh myself on the active side quests and main storylines, then quick travel to a town and now I’m right back at it.

Giving you a ‘story so far’ whenever you start a new character chapter is also very handy.

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Will OPT ever come to other platforms?

Wikipedia says it was published by Nintendo except in Japan, where it was published by Square-Enix. My guess is probably not, or at least not anytime soon.