LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

One other thing I forgot to mention - you know you're sick when cleaning and restoring older consoles is a fun activity for you. I've been watching this channel:

Which has provided some great insight into how to break these older consoles down and clean the hell out of them. My consoles have generally been well taken care of but it doesn't mean they can't do without some generous cleaning. The Gamecube in particular is next on my list as I recently purchased a second one with the Digital AV output and it needs cleaning desperately:

Nothing wrong with that-it's like cleaning/restoring a pinball machine :) 

Would you still need the framemeister on a CRT?  If you have a monitor that already has scanlines, why add a second scanline generator inline?  I suppose that gives you the external scaler vs the one in the TV, plus the RGB inputs vs the composite/svideo/VGA ones. 

Correct. The TV still supports up to 1080i and the Framemeister is a metric ton better at scaling than what’s in the TV. Plus, RGB and other connection options.

The CRT I have has component and HDMI as well but yeah....

So I had a retro buying weekend. Craigslist is my friend in terms of finding good deals for older consoles. My OG Xbox's power button doesn't work which is a pain. It works fine but immediately powers on when plugged in and won't power off unless I unplug it. So I wanted to get a second one. I found a guy selling a good bundle on Craigslist. I also found a lady selling her original PSX with 20 games and a few controllers. I also found a listing for a good selling his original PS2 with no cables and a few games.  So on Saturday I did some emailing of these folks and managed to get all three systems for about $100 bucks. Spent the day cleaning them out and testing and all works well.

The PSX in particular was in amazing condition. After cleaning it, it looks like it was just pulled out of the box. The drive on the Xbox died literally 20 minutes after testing it but I swapped out the drive in my existing unit and all worked well from there. Cleaned it up and was playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for a half hour.:D I have a third Xbox in the garage which doesn't work at all so I'll likely pull the drive out of that one and put it in the other unit to have a working back-up unit (though the power button will still be non-functional).

Went to PAX this past Thursday and Sunday with the family, and in a bit of a surprise, the classic console room was one of the biggest hits. The kids requested to go back multiple times.

My older son really loved it, he was into all of the systems and the different controllers. He had to use EVERY controller.

They loved Halo, Duck Hunt and even Duck Tales! They repeated yelled out 'this game is fun' when we played Multiplayer Slayer in Halo, which amusingly grabbed the attention of the room around us. :)  I know Halo was fun back in the day, but I didn't expect them to have so much fun with it.  (We also ended up playing Halo 4 in the main free play room, and had a lot of fun, but that didn't catch me off guard like Halo One did. ) 

I'm raising some sick kids, because they were frustrated with Duck Tales, but couldn't put it down. We actually have DT on the PS3, but it died so long ago that they didn't even remember it. I already had the desire to get a new ps3 because we have a great backlog of PS+ titles we've never even seen, so now I need to get my hands on one!

Here is an album of the retro room pics from PAX, https://imgur.com/a/tzmyK

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Looks like your kids figured out how to cheat in Duck Hunt. 

Lol, yep, that took all of two seconds! :)  Granted, there isn't much room those rooms, so they were almost pushed into figuring that one out.

Not super retro but I rebought a Vita today. Managed to find one of the older OLED screen units for $120 bucks and have been downloading some PS1 Classics to play on that gorgeous screen.:)

• Like 2

I finally received the Toro for my Dreamcast. What an amazing little box this thing is when paired with the Framemeister. For those unaware, it's a VGA box made by the Behar Bros that offers dual video outputs that includes standard VGA and RGB Scart. It includes simple flip switches to set between either RGB or VGA mode, includes its own scanline generator that can be enabled or disabled, adjustments for scanline width, switching between even/odd scanlines and luminosity controls. The really big feature though is a simple switch to flip between RGBhv and RGBs. It's basically a sync combiner switch that when set to RGBs allows for proper 480p/VGA signal to route through the SCART connection and then to the Framemeister for proper video upscaling. It looks incredible. The Dreamcast has such an impressively clean 480p video output compared to some of its brethren at the time thanks to proper VGA support. The switch that lets you switch between VGA and RGB mode also allows you to easily boot games that support VGA but don't automatically display in that mode. It's a trick that's been known for years in Dreamcast circles and was always a bit of a pain but the Toro's switch makes it super easy.

It's $80 bucks (and add another $30 for the SCART cable) but if you're a Dreamcast fan and want the best possible video output? This thing is essential.

https://www.beharbros.com/toro

• Like 1

So Retro-bit is working with Sega on officially licensed Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast controllers/cables. That includes Bluetooth controllers! Apparently using the original console controller shells and boxing, too. They are due this year. This was from CES:

26240641_10155466564072739_1857084411047 

26678508_10155466567152739_7278743781207 

26221092_10155466561042739_7260339915523 

Screen-Shot-2018-01-10-at-9.48.35-AM-750 

• Like 1

I completed my first retro game since getting my setup in order. Powerslave on the Saturn. I’ve long heard tales told of how great a game it is and I played it long ago on the PSX. It’s reputation is well earned. Great game that stands the test of time. It was doing some Metroid Prime years before it ever hit. It’s also piss hard, looks really nice and runs pretty well considering the hardware. Labatomy were damned magicians on the Saturn hardware. It’s ashame they are long gone but man what a great legacy to leave behind. If only more folks had gotten to enjoy the best version of the game!

My oldest son, who's 10, has developed a taste for retro games because I'm crushing it as a parent.  He likes to look at all the boxes up on the shelves in the game room and read the backs and look at the pictures when he's not playing them.  So I thought I'd make him a little retro machine of his own.

I started the project not knowing jack about Linux, other than "Linux is free if your time is worthless."  But all the resources available online make something like a Game Boy Zero project a relative breeze.  I think it came out pretty good.

His Game Boy Zero:

20180522_030627.jpg?dl=0

It plays everything up to, but not including, N64 (N64 runs choppy af) - which is right in his wheelhouse at the moment.  He's big on SNES, NES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx 16 and a Raspberry Pi handles that stuff expertly.

Of course, we have the SNES and NES Classics, and those are modded, but he really wanted something of his own.  I remember getting my first Game Boy (a DMG-01) while away for the summer at my grandparents house.  Played the fire out of Super Mario Land and Baseball.  Some of the my most fond memories video gaming.  Hope he experiences something similar, but with what kids have access to today, I'll be lucky if he's playing it a week from now.  We'll see.  Whatever, it was fun making it.

• Like 3

Which sort of Pi do you have in there? Finn has the Zero W, but I’m wondering if I should pick up the new version of the 3.

It's in a replacement DMG-01 shell, cut up in a few spots and some 3D printed brackets inside to which the Pi Zero W, screen, and button boards are mounted.

58 minutes ago, iainl said:

Which sort of Pi do you have in there? Finn has the Zero W, but I’m wondering if I should pick up the new version of the 3.

It's a W (I can access it from anywhere in the house for ROM uploading and scraping). Size dictates the options there. I do have the new 3 coming with the intention of making a dedicated VPN box. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

I went kinda retro in the last year or two also, anyone else have an Analogue NT mini or a Super NT?

Been enjoying both.

Have a NES classic and a SNES classic modded also, and a retropie in a Mini Sega Genesis hub that I spent about 50-60 hours on with **just** the games I wanted on it, along with preview videos and artwork for everything.  Took quite a bit of manual legwork (a lot of video files needed handbraking, pulled youtube videos for translations and such, etc).

The Analogue consoles are so much better than I only really use the NES/SNES classic on vacation in hotels, etc, and the Retropie is good for the stuff those don't handle natively handle well (Sega CD, Playstation 1, etc).

Haven't had as much time as I would like, still play too much Overwatch and a lot of commuting, but daughter and I had a lot of fun last fall playing Rampart (NES), Tengen Tetris, Mario 1/3, etc.

Really want to dig in and play one of the newer SNES translated RPGs, there's been a lot of releases in recent years.

If you're fiddling a lot with SCART and Framemeisters and stuff, recommend Bob's RetroRGB channel on youtube, he does a weekly update about all the retro stuff going on, covers a lot of hardware mods and flash carts for old systems and stuff.

RetroRGB and the My Life in Gaming guys are fantastic.

RetroRGB is a bit more technical while the My Life and Gaming guys really break things down in an easy to follow and understandable fashion. I highly recommend checking out the MLIG RGB series for more info.

I've been thinking about diving into a Super NT in the near future. It's a great piece of tech and its priced more sanely than the Analogue NT. I'd prefer to spend $100 on an NES top loader and do the NES HDMI mode or the RGB mod for it. It's substantially cheaper.

The problem with the Analogue NT is that it's OOP now, they go for like $1200 on ebay.  I bought mine last year when they still had them.  The jailbreak supports so many cores that that tipped me over the edge on it last year (Sega Master System, various Atari, etc) but it's harder now that they are seemingly OOS forever and  going for stupid prices.

The Super NT is very nice, most of the big bugs worked out of it now.  I picked up a few of the non-jailbreak supported carts with special chips I wanted to play - Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox.  It's kinda cool to have real carts, at least a few of them.  Don't want to go back to the days when I had shelves and shelves of them though.

The latest addition to my collection:

E00F496F-D481-49C2-9268-61FF473FA231.jpeg

I picked it up locally on the Facebook marketplace. Seller was a mom whose kid stopped caring about it years ago and it’s been in storage. She sold it to me for $40. It’s in pristine condition with minimal scuffs and included the original box with all paperwork. The only problem is the screen had two deep scratches that were noticeable when viewing content. I ordered up an official screen replacement on Ebay for $14 bucks and just finished installing it (which took about 20 minutes to take it apart, install and reassemble). It’s brand new and the current screen is actually a bit brighter than the old one. So I’m very pleased. A total of $54 bucks for an almost new PSP Go. I need to order component cables for it and see if I can find the dock for a good price next.:)

• Like 1

Retrobit are showing off their officially Sega licensed controllers at Gamescom:

Retro-Bit, a premier publisher and manufacturer of classic gaming products, is proud to announce the unveiling of their eagerly awaited SEGA controller lineup, featuring the same great quality as their original hardware counterparts like the original console port, but also with modern upgrades such as a USB® port for PC compatibility and Bluetooth® wireless technology. The complete first line of the officially licensed Retro-Bit SEGA products will arrive this November and include:

Genesis Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)

Genesis Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)

Genesis Bluetooth® Controller (Black)

Genesis Bluetooth® Receiver

Megadrive Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)

Megadrive Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue)

Megadrive Bluetooth® Controller (Black)

Megadrive Bluetooth® Receiver

Saturn Wired Original Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)

Saturn Wired USB® Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey)

Saturn Bluetooth® Controller (Black)

Saturn Bluetooth® Receiver

Genesis and Saturn Bluetooth controllers are both in my future as long as these review well. If they are quality, they would provide a nice alternative to the more Nintendo-centric 8-Bitdo stuff, too.

That Saturn pad with dual analog would make one hell of a PC/Retropie controller solution.