LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Took it apart to clean it out as these used units are usually in bad condition but this thing is pristine! Some minor dirt to clean on the ports. The red main power deck still has the plastic slip cover! This has been sitting in that garage for a good number of years unused.

356BA199-314D-4BD5-9F3C-CFD568D6DAE2.jpeg

0792AF07-A5C5-4B38-9615-79BE5DA9DE5D.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice master system!  I don't have very much experience with the console, but having fiddled with a few games on my retropie and my Analogue NT it seems pretty cool.

Too bad getting lightguns on a modern display is such a PITA.

Post clean up with a bit of Pledge clean to help restore that new console luster. Now to clean the controllers and the light gun.

5E4FEF92-C6B7-4912-B80C-53010C27DA58.jpeg

8F9C26A5-8E79-42E3-89F7-FDDE0BFC3C7D.jpeg

DA42CDBE-0CFF-4A71-A5DC-EBE91D8C6890.jpeg

• Like 1

One last shot. Next to another pickup I was fortunate to grab two weeks ago. I stopped by a retro store near my house and some guy was trading in all his old retro stuff including one of the original Genesis models with the “High Defintion Graphics” labels. For those not in the know, this model has the superior audio chip with non-TMSS (though you have to verify the FCC ID on the bottom). i.e. much better sound quality.

The thing was in awful condition. It was legit caked in mounds of dirt. It took me an hour to take it apart and clean it thoroughly. The end result...

8C50F6D4-50B2-4CBB-911A-7C51D7A68169.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 4:36 PM, GreenMonkey said:

Nice master system!  I don't have very much experience with the console, but having fiddled with a few games on my retropie and my Analogue NT it seems pretty cool.

Too bad getting lightguns on a modern display is such a PITA.

Ooooooh.

OG Analogue NT?

For some reason I remember thinking that diagram on the Sega Master System was so cool. It's so basic but it seemed to high-tech, electric-engineering coolness to me.

It’s been a busy few weeks. I stopped by another little retro shop called Play N Trade that recently opened up. I’ve been looking out for a Gameboy Advance SP in my travels. Specifically for a model ASG-101 which was released right near the end of the portables life span (around the time the original DS came out). This model has a brighter LCD (backlit as opposed to front) by default over the original 001 model and it has a second brightness level that produces about the best quality image you can get for GB/GBC/GBA titles outside of a DS Lite. 

Anyway, I walked into the place and there sat a light pink GBA SP.  Yeah, yeah it’s pink but swapping cases on these things are easy to swap and after taking a look, it was the 101 model. The thing is in pristine condition. The screen doesn’t even have a light scratch on it! Price? $40.

Oh you damned right I bought it.

Here it is:

D77780F8-FC3F-477D-81AB-F8348958CC27.jpeg

9118305C-571E-459D-9560-2F13EA33E7D6.jpeg

1314C5D4-7F2A-491D-8E1C-43A51947D781.jpeg

• Like 1

I meant to ask after you posted that Master System, are you going out on the weekend looking through garage sales? If so, what has that been like?

Edit: to elaborate a bit, I was wondering what you thought the “hit/miss” ratio is like and how you even find good ones to go to. 

More miss than hit. I don’t do garage sales often but the wife loves antiquing so we’ll go every now and again. 

I picked up a second PS3 this week as well. It’s quite the reclamation projection the filth front. I’m in the process of cleaning it as we speak....

3D195075-CA22-4D76-AAF2-3DF52E624095.jpeg

A7292D62-8F51-40F2-B9CB-4A29A1EC89E1.jpeg

Done.

BFB5FF5C-34DF-41DB-BAB8-251C854B771D.jpeg 

The Slims are so much easier to take apart and put back together than the fat models. Those are just insane and time consuming.

I'd keep that GBA in the pink case, but that's just me ;) The amazing thing is that old GBA-SP screen, the faded one, is still a huge improvement over the GBA. F'ing Nintendo. 

Garage sales/flea markets around here are worthless for videogames. Anything old videogame wise pre-PS2 is "collectable". 

• Like 2

Yeah I’ve seen the pink case ones are more valuable for some odd reason.

...and Brian is right. People are “onto” retro gaming. It’s really tough to find a deal on stuff anymore. A local shop here was selling a Sega CD, Genesis 2 and 32x combo package for $120. Which is a pretty great deal! The problem is that the most worthwhile Sega CD games will cost you and arm and a leg.:/ I passed up on it for now.

The alternative is to then get into playing ripped copies of games, etc. It’s not something I’m a huge fan of but for example the Saturn? I’m not paying $300+ for a copy of Shining Force 3 when I can play a proper back up of it along with the two unreleased Japanese episodes fully translated. Or I can easily get a copy of a fully translated Policenauts. So instead, I end up going the download route and printing out covers and CD art to have a worthwhile reproduciption. Why? Again, cause prices are insane and these companies refuse to revisit some of these lost gems.

53911E75-DE0C-4CFB-B119-1227EB8513DB.jpeg

80CEB96E-82D0-43B8-AF09-B9CA41BD1F1A.jpeg

I also ordered an SD Loader for my Gamcube and picked up the Gameboy Player add-on for $10 bucks. The disc for the GB player goes for stupid amounts of money and it’s pretty shit anyways. With the SD Loader you can load up an SD Card and plug that into the Gamecubes memory card port to load Homebrew. There’s a fantastic custome piece of software called Gameboy Interface that destroys the stock software. Eager to see the results. 

Go go to about the 31:20 mark in this video to see it in action:

Dude. I don’t pay for backups.;) Those are of my own creation. I burned the games and  I printed out the covers and the CD art. Read the post again.

One of the first things I did was get Psuedo Saturn installed on an Action Replay Cart. I have two of them. One with Pseudo and one for standard use for memory.

I have my PSX soft modded for backups using a Gameshark via the I/O port. Both the Wii and Wii U have homebrew installed lol.

As mentioned, GameCube is next.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Rainmaykr said:

Ooooooh.

OG Analogue NT?

Yeah I ordered one of the last batches back in early 2017 (Feb/Mar) .  Kinda winced at the price at the time, but I had a stupidly large bonus at the time and it seemed like it would be super fun with my shiny new OLED.

I've actually played more with my 12 yr old daughter than by myself.  She's still struggling to beat Mario 1 world 8-2, we bust it out once in a while.

There's something ironically fun about ancient retro games like NES on a 65" OLED.

I ponied up for the SD2SNES for my Super NT a couple of months back, and got a few MSU-1 games up and running... since my Retropie was dropping frames using snes9x/msu-1 and that was causing audio crackle.  Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc are pretty awesome with symphonic soundtracks.  Got sidetracked playing DQ11 though, haven't gotten back to it lately.

• Like 2

I still have a ton of organizing and shuffling around to do but I wanted everything in one place and this works for now. There are double stacked rows so I can easily see what’s behind but my PSX and DC collection are basically stocked on top of each other in rows. I don’t like packing 60-70 games like that in a cube so I need to spread them out. Same for my carts in the bottom. Still, it’s getting there....

694D4917-B6CA-49DE-92C1-D607787F5C8D.jpeg

• Like 4

Another yard sale, another pickup. Came across this at a House down the road from my job. Guy had a garage cleaning sale and had a few pieces of game related junk from his kids which are now grown. Amongst the junk was an OG Gameboy. I offered the guy $10 bucks for it since it had no batteries and couldn’t be tested. He accepted. I got it home and tested it out and it worked with no issues screen wise. Sound was coming in and out and was scratchy as hell. The thing was pretty filthy, too. It looked like it was pretty scuffed up so I ordered a replacement shell and new front screen lens replacement for $11 bucks.

I figured I’d give it a cleaning anyways since I was opening it to try and fix the sound. The speaker itself was filthy but even worse, a staple had lodged itself under the speaker cover and was likely causing the scratching and audio cutout. Cleared that up, deep cleaned the plastics, all of the buttons and contacts and put her back together. Everything works flawlessly. Surprisingly, the case was actually in pretty good shape! Most of the problems were just dirt. The few scuffs on the backside disappeared with a little magic eraser action. 

I plan to replace the front lens cover for the screen since it’s pretty scratched up. The screen underneath is flawless though. Once that’s been done, I got a pretty great condition original Gameboy for about $21. It would have been cheaper had I not ordered the shell.:)

Post-cleaning pics:

0FD6DB49-3CAA-4365-BF13-1339C09CFEB2.jpeg

A0A0C6E2-23D0-454B-961A-08A86341D1FD.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh god, a lot!

TG16/Duo R/Super CD

Jaguar

3DO

Phillips CDi

SegaCD/32x

Neo Geo

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance

Atari 5200/7800

Intellivision

Commodore 64

I do not own a DS or 3DS or any of its variants. (I’d like a good quality DS Lite and a 3DS XL in the near future).

Do I want to own all of those? Not really outside of pure novelty. I’m not paying $200+ for a Jaguar or Jaguar CD. I couldn’t give less of a fuck about it’s library. If I find one cheap at a sale? Sure.:) Same goes for a lot of those systems. I am on the hunt for an Atari 7800 so that I can mod it to add S-Video. It’s relatively cheap and the mod itself is pretty straightforward.

• Like 1