LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Yeah, that’s a good point. I remember seeing that mod done in some cleanup videos way back when and you just reminded me of it. I’ll try to get it done over the holidays. Thanks, Jeff.

• Like 1

I should mention that its important to thoroughly clean the carts pins with 70-90% rubbing alcohol after applying and using the Brasso cleaner. The danger there is that Brasso is absolutely corrosive and if you just let it sit on the pins, over time it can damage the cart. The best method is apply a small dab of Brasso and spread it across both side of the pins. Using a lint free towel, rub away any dirt/residue until the pins are clean. Then using a Q-tip, apply the alcohol liberally and make sure to rub away any remnants of the Brasso. Let it dry and put the carts back together. I've had great success using this method.

I want more....(this is an illness now lol). I got a $100 gift certificate as an award at work. You all know where that was going. This is about $65 of that. The other $35 went towards a few PSN/XBL sales items.

AC57D660-BF1A-4500-A87D-D33A5DD35047.jpeg

• Haha 1

You know, I was never a Sega guy, but I do like the way they did the clamshell cases for Genesis games.  They seem to have held up much better than SNES boxes. 

Is that a pre or post recall copy of SA?  Wonder if there's a price difference in the collector's market? 

It’s V1 prior to the recall. Neither version is highly sought after by collectors enough to drive up the price. Even the hot coffee version had about 15 million copies printed.:)

Busy game buying week! I got some great deals at a new shop that just opened up near my house. Little ma and pa place that felt like a flea market but I managed to get pristine copies of Donkey Koung Country 2 and 3 for $25 and $31 respectively. Good prices for them, I thought. The rest are odds and ends I ran across for a variety of prices ranging in $5-$15. I picked up AVP since it got added to BC recently and didn’t don’t realize that I don’t own a copy.

64F58F70-A5DA-4022-8232-B7F571750DF2.jpeg92EC94F0-D55A-4617-8033-6BC2763D252F.jpegBF7C76F2-C9F1-4F96-87F1-28A5DB993F90.jpeg

Fun story. The other shop I frequent had Aladdin on the SNES for $14 bucks. I brought it up with the rest of my purchases and took a closer look at it and was surprised at how good the condition of it was. It felt off. So I turned it around looking for the stamp on the caution label that official games all have. No stamp. I compared  the label to the other SNES games and it had no gloss finish. It screamed reproduction.

The manager didn’t believe me but they did have Gamebit screwdrivers sitting around so we opened the game up. Lo and behold, no proper Ninendo logo, no serial numbers. The EPROM had “Aladdin” etched into it with “Majesco” etched below it. Err...Capcom published Aladdin on SNES.:)

The manager was slightly pissed he had gotten hoodwinked. I always check for the in-pressed stamp on the back caution label right off the bat for a reason. You’ll usually see two numbers stamped there. All SNES games have it and vast majorities of reproductions don’t.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The manager was slightly pissed he had gotten hoodwinked. I always check for the in-pressed stamp on the back caution label right off the bat for a reason. You’ll usually see two numbers stamped there. All SNES games have it and vast majorities of reproductions don’t.

I totally remember those back label impressions from years ago, but didn't know that was an indicator of authenticity.👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starhawk said:

I totally remember those back label impressions from years ago, but didn't know that was an indicator of authenticity.👍

It’s one of, yeah. To be 100% you have to open it up to check the board but it’s a pretty good chance that if you see those numbers on the back label, you’re probably good. Label quality is always tell tale as well.  Most reproductions do a pretty good job using high res images but the printing is either slightly off or they don’t add any protective lamination that adds that gloss finish to the labels. Between those two things, you can spot fake carts well enough without having to open them.

I have to say, that Aladdin one was pretty good quality work. I told the manager if he doesn’t get his money back, I’ll throw him 3-5 bucks for it just to have it. I mean it plays the same. I’m just not paying authentic game prices for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

It’s one of, yeah. To be 100% you have to open it up to check the board but it’s a pretty good chance that if you see those numbers on the back label, you’re probably good. Label quality is always tell tale as well.  Most reproductions do a pretty good job using high res images but the printing is either slightly off or they don’t add any protective lamination that adds that gloss finish to the labels. Between those two things, you can spot fake carts well enough without having to open them.

I have to say, that Aladdin one was pretty good quality work. I told the manager if he doesn’t get his money back, I’ll throw him 3-5 bucks for it just to have it. I mean it plays the same. I’m just not paying authentic game prices for it.

Hahah!  My stupid knowledge comes in handy, I remember these.  They were not repros/bootlegs, they were official re-prints!

https://lykos.net/majesco.html

• Like 3

I was just about to post this. I recently watched a video about spotting fakes, and they mentioned this exact thing.

Another interesting note I remember from my collecting days, the manuals were often in black and white vs. the originals being in color, besides the mentioned "MADE IN MEXICO" stamps.

2 hours ago, secretvampire said:

Hahah!  My stupid knowledge comes in handy, I remember these.  They were not repros/bootlegs, they were official re-prints!

https://lykos.net/majesco.html

Wow, good info! I had no clue they even did that.

Insanity. Drooling over here man.

I love Austin/Xavier, too. He’s a total gaming nerd.

41 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Insanity. Drooling over here man.

I love Austin/Xavier, too. He’s a total gaming nerd.

Yeah he and AJ are huge gamers. AJ does a show Retro styles where he goes to different game stores. Recently they did a two parter together.

Collection walkthroughs of stuff like that are awesome.  Also great to see that he's got things up and running!  I had that exact same C64 cassette drive :)

The local Wal-Mart has the entire 1up Arcade line for $199 ea ($299 reg), so if you've been in the market for one maybe check your local Wally World.

• Like 1