LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Placed my order for this today:

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

I debated getting a Hi-Def NES HDMI mod done but between the cost of the mod, the fee for installation and the fact that I would want to have it done with a top loader which I would have to buy, the cost would be nearly double the AVS NES which is an FPGA unit that’s highly regarded but a bit more limited than the Analogue NT. It’s also nowhere near the ridiculous cost.

Ill post thoughts on it when it arrives at the end of the month. Here’s a review for those interested:

Most of the mentioned issues have been taken care of via firmware now. Including adding an interpolation option and more. It’ll be wonderful to have a high quality vehicle to play my existing NES library and I’ll still have my front loader here which I may have RGB modded in the near future as that’s a relatively cheap board and a mod I think I can handle myself.

• Like 1

Finally got a damned Sega CD today. A really good quality model 2 for $90. I have a model 2 Genesis for back-up and that has been installed. I ordered up a separate SCART cable for it and I’ll be adding it to the setup once it arrives alongside the standard Model 1 already hooked up. Here they are post cleaning and installation with the included RF shields.

1C39BCDA-C69D-4CFF-B1B5-2E916C6F2DD0.jpeg

• Epic Post 1

4 hours ago, Angel P said:

When is the 32x coming? ;)

I go back and forth as to whether I want to own one. There’s a novelty to it and as a Sega diehard, it’s part of that gaming history but man most of its 40 released games were dog shit lol. If I ran across a unit cheap, it could sway me but there’s no way in hell I’m spending the $70-100 aftermarket price on one. Much less what some of the better games (and even some terrible ones) go for. I’m not even sure how much I care to own on it? Perhaps....

Doom

Star Wars Arcade

Blackthorne

Afterburner

Knuckles Choatix

Space Harrier

WWF Wrestlemania Arcade

That’s about it. Doom is a curiosity at best, too.

Tested some Eternal Champions tonight on the Sega CD just using standard old composite on the CRT. Yeesh that’s ugly.:) Good news is the unit read the disc without issue and it loaded pretty fast telling me the laser is in good alignment.

I downloaded a copy of Snatcher that I’ll be burning tomorrow and testing as well. It’ll be fun to finally do a full replay of that. The Sega CD has no copy protection so it’ll play back-ups without issue and considering a copy of Snatcher would run me $500 and there’s no alternative where I can spend money on the game, I don’t feel terribly guilty.

• Like 1

I’m actually playing through Snatcher right now via emulation. I’ve not played it before. And I’ll say they went to some pretty extreme lengths so far. Like making it possible to hit on the dead cops daughter so much she throws you out of the house.  Then you can pound on the door until she finally relents and lets you back in. 

I’m a sick bastard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JoeyN said:

I had one of those, never the CD. 

I believe i had more games for the Sega CD than the 32x.  Come to think of it, I don’t remember having anything besides Doom for it. I’m sure i did, just don’t remember.

7 hours ago, Romier S said:

I go back and forth as to whether I want to own one. There’s a novelty to it and as a Sega diehard, it’s part of that gaming history but man most of its 40 released games were dog shit lol. If I ran across a unit cheap, it could sway me but there’s no way in hell I’m spending the $70-100 aftermarket price on one. Much less what some of the better games (and even some terrible ones) go for. I’m not even sure how much I care to own on it? Perhaps....

Doom

Star Wars Arcade

Blackthorne

Afterburner

Knuckles Choatix

Space Harrier

WWF Wrestlemania Arcade

That’s about it. Doom is a curiosity at best, too.

Tested some Eternal Champions tonight on the Sega CD just using standard old composite on the CRT. Yeesh that’s ugly.:) Good news is the unit read the disc without issue and it loaded pretty fast telling me the laser is in good alignment.

I downloaded a copy of Snatcher that I’ll be burning tomorrow and testing as well. It’ll be fun to finally do a full replay of that. The Sega CD has no copy protection so it’ll play back-ups without issue and considering a copy of Snatcher would run me $500 and there’s no alternative where I can spend money on the game, I don’t feel terribly guilty.

I loved Blackthorne on the SNES.  Is this even the same game?  Don’t remember it for any other console.  I had a racing game for the 32x but can’t remember the title.  😕

The Sega CD had over 200 titles, yes.

Blackthorn is the same game but the 32x version had enhanced visuals moving to a rendered look over the sprite based visuals on the SNES. It comes down to preference but it’s worth owning regardless, IMO.

• Like 1

Good to hear it was Virtua Racing.  I think the only other racer on the system was BC Racers, which is awful.  Oh and Motocross Championship, which isn't much better, but still interesting.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is actually a pretty good port, all things considered.  And I also feel like the 32x would have been a pretty decent system if it had had some time to grow.  But most games were just slapped together and then Sega released the Saturn early 6 months after.  It had no chance.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Good to hear it was Virtua Racing.  I think the only other racer on the system was BC Racers, which is awful.  Oh and Motocross Championship, which isn't much better, but still interesting.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is actually a pretty good port, all things considered.  And I also feel like the 32x would have been a pretty decent system if it had had some time to grow.  But most games were just slapped together and then Sega released the Saturn early 6 months after.  It had no chance.  

Indeed and yet it has an /amazing/ library of games. One of my favorites in the retro space but as mentioned before - its not cheap to collect on the Sega Saturn.

If your looking for the cheapest and best upgrade you can do for your OG NES, the blinking light win is back in stock! Ordered mine up a few days ago. It adds a top loader style connector and standard tray to the front loader. No more pushing down and you can be rid of that shitty zero force tension design.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

The review is a few years old but the Gametech channel is fantastic.

Retro Fighters has a kickstarter up for their new Dreamcast controller project. For those that are unaware, they did the N64 Brawler64 controller which is quite popular in retro circles:

https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpre-orders-go-live-saturday-122-9ampst-retro-fighters-brawler64-gamepad

It's a much more ergonomic controller for the system and now they are applying the same thinking to the Dreamcast. The kickstarter is here:

They've already reached the 13k and are easily surpassing it. A mock-up:

DzOOHD5UcAEGvR7.png

The D-Pad placement and general feel on the DC controller is rather poor so I'm 100% down with this. I've been meaning to get their Brawler64 as well so it will make for a good pairing.

Also got this today:

0886E2FB-2DDC-4793-88CF-48A967A8A076.jpeg

It’s a Castlevania like side scroller that was originally only released on the Famicom and never made it to the States. It’s highly sought after with the original Famicom cart going for nearly $400. Irem has allowed Retro-bit to license it and release it as a collectors edition. Along with a SNES double pack of Super R-Type and R-Type III that I want to get.

Ah yes Little Nemo, I think I threw my first controller because of it.😁

Double Dragon II was such a great game since it allowed co-op when the original didn't. Also remember renting that Kage game a couple of times. 

5 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Ah yes Little Nemo, I think I threw my first controller because of it.😁

I remember renting it one time. I was really excited about it. I don’t even think I got past the first level. I don’t remember it being hard, but I had no idea what to do.

5 hours ago, JFo said:

I remember renting it one time. I was really excited about it. I don’t even think I got past the first level. I don’t remember it being hard, but I had no idea what to do.

Flip, the character you first talk to doesn’t help a great deal, really. The goal is to find the keys in the level to move on. To do so, you have to feed candy (usually 3 to put it to sleep)  to each animal to “possess” it. The frog lets you jump high, the mole lets you dig into the ground, the lizard lets you scale walls, etc. The game just doesn’t tell you any of that. Nintendo hard = don’t tell you a damned thing lol.