LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

I forgot all about Willow on NES. Also Genesis had the best cases.

It’s actually a pretty solid little RPG. Early days for the genre and the chip tunes music can grate thanks to the repetition but it’s very Zelda like with some decent evolution on some of the core concepts in that game. I’ve honestly made it a bit of a mission to try and get a physical copy of every Capcom and Konami release on the NES. Both publishers were just god like and even lesser titles like Trojan and Viper are still damned fun in their own right.

The tough part is shelling out the dough for super hard to find releases like Ducktales 2 and Chip N Dale 2. Even lesser rarities like Darkwing Duck are still in the $40-$60 range.

As an aside, I saw a copy of Bucky O’hare in the wild for $110. I almost bit. Self-control won the day.:)

I did also get World of Illusion though!

26105EEF-992E-4DD3-88BA-F49BA042502D.jpeg

• Like 1

As an aside, I saw a copy of Bucky O’hare in the wild for $110. I almost bit. Self-control won the day.:)

• Like 1

Romier, are you using a catalog system to track what you’ve picked up/want to pick up or just winging it?

Winging it along with a document file that has a lengthy wishlist. 

I plan to download the CLZ Games app eventually but I’m just lazy.:) I need to though since I have had a few “oops, I already had that!” moments.

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

I plan to download the CLZ Games app eventually but I’m just lazy.:) I need to though since I have had a few “oops, I already had that!” moments.

That’s exactly why i ask.  That’s happened to me on some catalogue blurays.  But that’s probably just old age wiping my memory.

@Angel P I hate you.:)

I went and downloaded the CLZ Games app and have spent the past two days cataloguing my collection. The app is fantastic but it’ll cost  you $15 . At the moment, I’m sitting at 715 Physical games and I haven’t added my OG Xbox, Xbox 360, NES, Gameboy and GBA libraries yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1,156 total physical games across 26 platforms. I’m not even gonna try to count the digital ones lol.

I have a garage full of physical PC games I should add as well but I’ve no clue where to put them in the house.

Found an utterly pristine copy of Mickey Mania on the Sega CD. If the CD was ever out inside of a drive, I’d be surprised. Only $32.

1527ED5F-97C1-4AE0-B600-F12A295ED36D.jpeg

8288B98B-79F8-4A9C-B1AC-15C3AFE4B75F.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow. 20,139 games. What do you think he's got invested in that? If average game purchase was $25, that's half a million dollars. 

That level of collecting is beyond me and its not just the money. You have to buy a whole lot of shitty games to have "complete" collections and well, no thanks. The games I buy I have intrinsic interest in actually wanting to play them and own them. They have to be fundamentally good or interesting games. If they aren't, I'm not spending money on them.

I had the opportunity to buy Contra Force on the NES this weekend for $100. I held off because I never spent more than 20 minutes playing it and it really didn't capture my attention like the originals. I'm going to try a rom of it and see if its worth that money to me but gets at my point. If I don't enjoy it, I'm not putting down $100 bucks for it. Bucky O'Hare on the other hand....lol. I'm still stewing on whether to spend that money but I *LOVED* that game as a kid.

477E4344-EE59-4274-BC90-FABA5B2494D3.jpeg

It’s rare that I spend $100 on a game but I loved this back in the day and traded in my copy (stupidly). I haggled the game store down from $134 to $105 cash for it mainly cause it doesn’t have the manual. The discs and case are in mint condition though so I’m quite pleased.

• Like 1

I don't think I ever actually finished that game.  Didn't it get a remake on the PSP later on, or was that a sequel? 

Strange seeing the Enix logo on there, which got me wondering how late the merger was (and whether this was one of the last enix games), but it turns out that wasn't until 2003, so plenty more games left with that brand. 

12 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

I don't think I ever actually finished that game.  Didn't it get a remake on the PSP later on, or was that a sequel? 

Strange seeing the Enix logo on there, which got me wondering how late the merger was (and whether this was one of the last enix games), but it turns out that wasn't until 2003, so plenty more games left with that brand. 

It was indeed released on the PSP (it was called Valkyrie Profile Lenneth) and I own that version, too. I also own the sequel on the PS2 - Valkyrie Profile Silmeria.

On another note, my RGB modded N64 arrived today! Pairing the system with the HD Retrovision component cables for the SNES (same connector) and the results are lovely via the Framemeister with my own customer scanline filter.....

FB78F373-96F1-4C1A-AF86-C542A5941B55.jpeg

C9FE1B19-A000-4E8F-B803-002E5841E037.jpeg

0DA4D744-C7A5-4A29-985B-AB55FAF779DE.jpeg

7354F2E6-86A5-47A2-BA11-67934E189E88.jpeg

ED2695FD-C057-435F-B842-A9FD8AD62568.jpeg

Nice pickup-I know a lot of people shit on DK64, but I enjoyed it back when it was new-ish.  Then again, I like Rare platformers, and that was probably the most sprawling example of one of those games.  There was also some neat ideas at play with multi-path/objective levels and the different Kongs.  I wonder if this newfound Microsoft/Nintendo working relationship will see a re-release (or even a remaster) of DK64 for something more modern? 

Seeing those screenshots also makes me think that a Mario 64 remake in the Odyssey engine could be a neat idea.  Lots of work though, and at that point are you better off just making a whole new game.  Unless there's a way to run the old physics under a new layer of graphics (like Halo Anniversary), you're basically re-implementing everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

I wonder if this newfound Microsoft/Nintendo working relationship will see a re-release (or even a remaster) of DK64 for something more modern? 

FWIW, DK64 was released on the Virtual Console for Wii U.

On the Wii U front, it chaps my ass that we never got a physical release of Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water here in the States. The European copies are stupid expensive so I'm pretty much stuck with digital which leaves a bit old hole in my collection of Fatal Frame titles.:/

More pickups....

8E91E57E-D76B-487C-ADE7-766EDDA80E6C.jpeg

Yep, that’s an original copy of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. I haggled the seller down to $45 since the label is ripped. I have a quality repro label on the way to correct that. (Yeah, I know but I want it as mint as possible and have no interest in reselling.)

• Like 1