LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Finally acquired one of my favorite PSX RPG’s and I filled in a large gap in my N64 library......

DBA5AF4E-CF92-49F0-B5FD-CC1E87442D83.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

John at Digital Foundry took a look at the really interesting HDMI mod for the Dreamcast:

My Dreamcast’s casing has turned completely yellow. 😫

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Guess I’m moving to Texas for that sunshine then. 😀

UV lamps work just as well. 

This is the dude that did my N64 RGB mod. Check the second half of this video:

• Like 1

I've been close to doing the HDMI mod on my N64, but pricing to have it done is on the bonkers side and doing it yourself requires some very fine solder work that I just do not have the confidence for. Hoooooowever, HDMI'ing my Dreamcast - well, that just speaks to my soul on a whole other level. That might motivate me enough to actually do it. HDMI and GDEMU? Psssh.

The kits for doing the UltraHDMI itself are pricey ($165). Having someone do the mod is about $85 which is pretty fair given how intensive it is. It's something I want to do down the line but I wanted to get an RGB mode anyways for analog connectivity so when I do it have it done, I'll have the ultimate N64:). Again, the guy I posted the video from (Voultar) does the UltraHDMI mod on his site:

https://voultar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_63&product_id=72

So if you already have the N64. you're looking at $250 total. Cost of a premodded N64 on Ebay runs in the $400-$450 range so yeah. I'd prefer to have it modded.:)

The new label for Chrono Trigger arrived today. It’s pretty damned nice quality wise. It’s a bit glossier than the real thing and the top text is a bit blurrier but I’m damned happy with it. I’m gonna keep the original label and case just in case but for now, I’m pleased.

What do you think?

62ECEF63-E0CF-48AC-886C-E4DDF954BE46.jpeg

BB0DDC5F-813E-455C-B857-075CF0A7AA45.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great from the photo, which my not be enough to really tell.

Dumb question, when you say it’s a replacement label, is it the entire shell?

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Looks great from the photo, which my not be enough to really tell.

Dumb question, when you say it’s a replacement label, is it the entire shell?

Yes it’s a shell from a cheapie game that I put the new label on (the label came separate). It’s laminated and simply peel and stick. The old shell is discolored along with the label being in poor shape so I tackled both. 

Just to reiterate, I plan to keep and store the original stuff.:)

• Like 1

On a big PSX RPG kick with Alundra and Valkyrie Profile added.  I got a sealed copy of Legend of Dragoon for $40. I alao added some mighty fine Genesis games to the collection (Phantasy Star cost a pretty penny....about $90 bucks) and the Japanese version of Castlevania III (Akumajo Densetsu) which uses the VRC6 chip for improved music and graphics. I finally get to test out the Famicom port on my AVS. I have more coming in a few days. It’s been a fruitful but costly last few weeks including another huge Genesis Action RPG that I’ve wanted to add for a good while now.

2F916322-E23D-469A-B5CB-4A70E7E69139.jpeg

Holy shit, Lunar. I loved that game.

BTW, did the ERSB exist when Chrono Trigger originally release? That caught my eye for some reason.

I picked this up for $25. Keep in mind that loose this usually goes for over $50 with complete in box in the $100-120 range. For now, I wanted to own it and here’s why it was a deal:

136E93C6-390E-43B5-B3C8-2C82EE9593AB.jpeg

5A11F2AC-653E-4E85-B0D3-27EF5E639E9A.jpeg

5F2DF73F-E286-4D40-9EBC-75E7A305AE06.jpeg

That’s before.:)

After pictures coming soon.

• Epic Post 1

Honest question from someone who has been out of the game for a good long while now, how does the retro/collectors community look at this? Because to me, this basically qualifies as a bootleg at this point. If the repros are good enough, people can now basically misrepresent a vintage product. But I have no idea, do people look at this the same way "restoring" a vintage car is viewed?

And, please, understand I know you aren't trying to sell these on Ebay as authentic, I get what you are doing for your own collection. :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

Honest question from someone who has been out of the game for a good long while now, how does the retro/collectors community look at this? Because to me, this basically qualifies as a bootleg at this point. If the repros are good enough, people can now basically misrepresent a vintage product. But I have no idea, do people look at this the same way "restoring" a vintage car is viewed?

And, please, understand I know you aren't trying to sell these on Ebay as authentic, I get what you are doing for your own collection. :)

Honest retro folks would list that as an original game with a repro label if they were trying to sell it and probably knock some money off of the price. A lot of label makers actually put a small “reproduction” print on the label itself to distinguish specifically because of people try to scam. So it’s generally frowned upon to put a repro label on a cart but it’s not considered a “bootleg” and it would be silly to categorize it as such. It’s the original game in its original cartridge case (it even has the Konami logo) that I throughly cleaned and added a high quality label reproduction. If I listed it on EBay I would show it with a picture of the internal board to prove that, state it’s a repro label and I would still likely get a good $35-$40 for it.

It about honestly in what your selling, really.

That’s if you’re selling and since I’m not and if it’s for my personal collection? My give a fuck meter is at zero about how the retro community feels about it. In this case, I got an actual authentic copy of Hyperstone Heist for $25 bucks and I restored it to pristine condition to sit on my shelf. The retro community can mail me the $120 check a complete in box copy costs. While I wait, I’ll enjoy the playing the game and feel pretty good about it until then.;)

To be frank, if I come across a good deal on a boxed copy with an original good quality label? I’d rebuy in a heart beat and sell this one exactly as I stated above. 

Chrono Trigger is a similar situation except I actually kept the original casing to preserve the original label as it was in better condition for storage. I’d likely sell it as original (which it would be!) with that OG label if I wanted to. This one was a lost cause.

I should also note, these are the only two carts I’ve done this with. I generally try to get OG stuff with original labels, boxes, etc. Retro gaming collecting isn’t what it was 15-20 years ago. This stuff costs an arm and a leg now. That copy of Phantasy Star IV cost me nearly $100 for example. I just bought a copy of Beyond Oasis complete in box (though the box has some issues) for $80. It adds up quick.