LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

You'll like this, Romier. Buying a Fat PS2 + a pile of (very common) games tomorrow from someone at work for $20. Time to rebuild a softmodded PS2 with a hard drive - sold my old one over 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:58 PM, dogbert said:

You'll like this, Romier. Buying a Fat PS2 + a pile of (very common) games tomorrow from someone at work for $20. Time to rebuild a softmodded PS2 with a hard drive - sold my old one over 10 years ago. 

I really should softmod mine. I have the HDD and the HD Loader tool still. 

Very cool though! Great price for it as well.  PS2 is just an amazing console with an endless library of killer games. I own just over 200 games for it and its not even scratching the surface of the stuff I want.:)

The first of 3 Everdrives I ordered arrived today....

39035D02-27A6-47E9-B873-B1794892E173.jpeg

The entirety of the N64 library at my fingertips in full RGB glory.:)

The SD2SNES Pro and the Everdrive N8 (NES) are arriving by Sunday. I’ll post them up when they get here.

• Like 2

My first experience of the SNES was the old-school floppy disk version of it. 

One of my good friends at university, around 91-93, was ridiculously rich & spoiled, compared to my background, and one of his favourite things was a SNES + cart-loader that let him have a wealth of SNES games in a giant box of 3.5 floppies. Even just borrowing it for a week gave me access to a ridiculous amount of games I'd only seen in Edge before. He knew what he had, but it was all about the digital packrat/hoarding over playing; whatever 'scene' he got into, he ended up with hoards of discs/CDs/DVDs, but never experienced the joys of those games... He hasn't ever changed. 

But, man, I know you'll enjoy the flexibility. These devices are all about that flexibility & ease. They let you get at the games.

• Like 1

Oh & got my new PS2 softmodded & set up with some component cables. Installing games to hard drive now. 

Kid weirded out that there's a controller cable. So weirded out. And that he doesn't need an "account" setup. 

So fucking spoiled :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dogbert said:

My first experience of the SNES was the old-school floppy disk version of it. 

One of my good friends at university, around 91-93, was ridiculously rich & spoiled, compared to my background, and one of his favourite things was a SNES + cart-loader that let him have a wealth of SNES games in a giant box of 3.5 floppies. Even just borrowing it for a week gave me access to a ridiculous amount of games I'd only seen in Edge before. He knew what he had, but it was all about the digital packrat/hoarding over playing; whatever 'scene' he got into, he ended up with hoards of discs/CDs/DVDs, but never experienced the joys of those games... He hasn't ever changed. 

But, man, I know you'll enjoy the flexibility. These devices are all about that flexibility & ease. They let you get at the games.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. It’s not about just having the drives and libraries. It hasn’t stopped me buying carts and physical media I want to add to my collection. It’s pure convenience. A jailbroken Mega SG functions as an Everdrive for the Genesis, Game Gear, SMS and Colecovision and I have a fantastically curated full library or ROMs for all of those systems but it’s the ease at which I’m able to get what I want to play that I love. Despite having had the Mega SG with that capability for over a month, I’ve spent MORE money buying up games on the Genesis. Still, I never *have* to plug a cart in and it’s right there and easy to access. 

For my AVS in particular, never having to deal with yanking an NES cart out again is going to be glorious. I’m also really looking forward to trying out some MSU-1 chip games on the SD2SNES Pro. Super Road Blaster on a SNES is going to be fun!

I’ve never even heard of these SD2SNES and Ever-drive carts. Very interesting. The Gameboy X7 one is calling to me.

I think I’d still like to have a collection of original Gameboy games if I got into retro purchases. I still cannot source the bulk of my collection and fear it’s lost for good. How I still have a Barcode Battler but cannot seem to find my GB collection (and Megadrive carts) I may never know. 😩

51 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’ve never even heard of these SD2SNES and Ever-drive carts. Very interesting. The Gameboy X7 one is calling to me.

I think I’d still like to have a collection of original Gameboy games if I got into retro purchases. I still cannot source the bulk of my collection and fear it’s lost for good. How I still have a Barcode Battler but cannot seem to find my GB collection (and Megadrive carts) I may never know. 😩

Great episodes on the subject:

• Like 2

Oh and the mother of all Everdrives, the Super SD System 3.

Yes, it allows you to play both the entirety of the PC Engine/TG16 library but also the Super CD games like Rondo of Blood via an SD card. It has all of the arcade system cards built in. Oh and it adds a proper RGB output to the system as well. It will run you $300 but collecting on the PC Engine is not for the faint of heart and it’s an amazing investment if you want to dive into a horribly under appreciated (in the US) library of games. 

Its on my soon to buy list.:) I’m just trying to decide whether to get a TG16 or grab a Japanese PC Engine instead. I think I like the PC engine design a bit more.

That’s great. £120 for the GB cart here so I may consider ordering one later in the year if I can’t locate my original library. I want Snoopy’s Magic Show back in my life.

I still need to source a battery compartment door replacement for my silver GB Pocket (the G.O.A.T).

Shame the PSio install is a bit of a pain as my OG PlayStation, modded for multi-region back when Resident Evil came out, had developed an unreliable laser. My slim PS2 is modded though and probably still works fine.

The Saturn mod is also very interesting and doesn’t look too scary to install (I forget which model of Saturn I have in storage though).

Super Road Blaster running on the Super NT/SD2SNES Pro using the MSU-1 Chip. This allows for FMV and CD quality audio on a regular old SNES. The change in volume level is the capture and not the game by the way. I covered up the iPad mic accidentally when holding it.:)

That’s brilliant. I can definitely see myself getting one of those, though not quite as soon as I’d like the Gameboy one as my hacked mini SNES scratches a 16-bit itch for the time being and I’m not looking to invest an OSSC or anything just yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That’s brilliant. I can definitely see myself getting one of those, though not quite as soon as I’d like the Gameboy one as my hacked mini SNES scratches a 16-bit itch for the time being and I’m not looking to invest an OSSC or anything just yet.

You have to be a bit zany to get into stuff like OSSC or Framemeister primarily because they are such multi-purpose devices for a myriad of consoles.:) Honestly if you want to dig into the 16-bit era of consoles, I can't recommend Analogue's products enough. Both the Super NT and the Mega SG are amazing pieces of hardware. You get high quality HDMI output with complete control of screen size for correct integer scaling so no need for a line double or scaler. The compatibility is damn near 100% and the level of accuracy is akin to playing on an original console. The Mega SG in particular is an insane device value wise when its jail broken. At that point, it becomes an Everdrive like unit for all of the previous devices I mentioned (Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, SG-1000 and Colecovision).

They are not cheap devices at $200 each but I would look there before jumping into the world of OSSC/FM. A Super NT and SD2SNES Pro will run you about $400 but again, its insane value when you think about what it can do and if you have a deep love of the SNES, it's not crazy when you think about buying a 1-Chip SNES unit (the only SNES units worth owning, IMO), OSSC/FM, and requisite cables.

• Like 1

A Mega SG is in my future. I don’t know when. But I will have one. I’ve just been buying too much other stuff right now. It just sucks that Sega CD system prices have gone up so much. It seems like they’ve jumped to $200 or so when it seems like they were under $150 not long ago. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

They are not cheap devices at $200 each but I would look there before jumping into he world of OSSC/FM. A Super NT and SD2SNES Pro will run you about $400 but again, its insane value when you think about what it can do and if you have a deep love of the SNES, it's not crazy when you think about buying a 1-Chip SNES unit (the only SNES units worth owning, IMO), OSSC/FM, and requisite cables.

It’s really coming from a native RGB scart using region that most of my old consoles are capable of that would nudge me toward an OSSC, but you’re right that the Super NT and Mega SG are certainly worth considering too. 

I definitely want to check which model Saturn I have and whether it’s the one that wouldn’t require soldering.

26 minutes ago, NickC said:

I should have never opened this thread, my wallet is in trouble.

So true. I’ve said it before but it’s so easy to forget how games and consoles are just lost to time if not for all these kind of efforts to keep games and systems running. It’s tremendously appealing to want to be a part of that preservation effort, plus I also find myself embracing the gaming charms of my childhood more than the, admittedly amazing, stuff on offer today. Might explain why I feel so invested in Nintendo products these days.

I’ve never bought a used game. There’s this stupid psychological block in my head in embracing retro in wanting my games to be MY games, if that makes any sense. I need to get over that hump, but it’s why I am really quite heartbroken at the thought that my Gameboy and Megadrive collections may be lost for good (there’s still a mystery as to the whereabouts of my original Megadrive too. I have a mk2 lying around at least). My Gamecube is mysteriously missing as well despite having all my cube games, meanwhile I have my snes games, dreamcast, 3DO games...etc and accompanying systems. My NES and game collection was stolen about 25yrs ago as I’ve said before, so that’s lost to history and I’m still upset about it. 😫

IF my megadrive and gameboy collections surface then I’d be tempted to buy some used games to fill in some blanks in my collections, otherwise those SD cartridges are most likely going to be the only way I go.

I have the My Life in Gaming review of the Mega SG running here and these things really do seem great. Wish they had a UK distributor though as the cost of importing isn’t pretty.

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

A Mega SG is in my future. I don’t know when. But I will have one. I’ve just been buying too much other stuff right now. It just sucks that Sega CD system prices have gone up so much. It seems like they’ve jumped to $200 or so when it seems like they were under $150 not long ago. 

It's a super recent thing and I do believe the Mega SG is the reason. I bought my Model 2 Sega CD last December for $99 at one of the standard retro shops I visit who have ok pricing. The cheapest I've seen one since is $170.

If you're interested in one at that price, that one is still available at another shop I frequent and the owner and I have become good friends. I could probably get him down to $150-160 on it if you want to Paypal me the money and I can ship it out to you. Let me know.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

It's a super recent thing and I do believe the Mega SG is the reason. I bought my Model 2 Sega CD last December for $99 at one of the standard retro shops I visit who have ok pricing. The cheapest I've seen one since is $170.

If you're interested in one at that price, that one is still available at another shop I frequent and the owner and I have become good friends. I could probably get him down to $150-160 on it if you want to Paypal me the money and I can ship it out to you. Let me know.

That was my thinking too as to why the price increase. I’ll think about it. Maybe the market will come down. 

56 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Can the Analogue consoles run PAL SNES and Megadrive carts at 60hz and without borders? 

To answer my own question, I need have only revisited the My Life in Gaming review that Romier posted a while back (and the answer is yes, with some caveats):

That's a really great Youtube channel by the way. I subscribed and have been catching up on a few of their other videos.