LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Surely you need a Barcode Battler (I still have one 😀).

Is the OG Gameboy screen easy to replace? There’s a scratch on mine. I still need a battery compartment door replacement. Silver slim Gameboy remains my favourite though. Damn that was a nice piece of design.

The front of the screen which would get scratched is just a piece of plastic glued to the case. Can’t imagine it would be too hard to replace. I have a GB where it came off. 

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

The front of the screen which would get scratched is just a piece of plastic glued to the case. Can’t imagine it would be too hard to replace. I have a GB where it came off. 

Correct. Lens replacement is easy. Just open the case, remove the front board with the actual screen which is likely in perfect condition. Then push the lens piece off, clean off any adhesive with a thin file and apply the new lens. You can get a lens replacement for $5-10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLASS-SCREEN-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Original-DMG-System-Replacement-Lens-classic-NEW/361872481688?hash=item544147dd98:g:WjYAAOSw5cNYb8-6:sc:USPSFirstClass!17055!US!-1

Oh and....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Gameboy-Battery-Cover-Lid-Compartment-Door-W-Sticker-Grey-Gray/282695830279?hash=item41d1fc0b07

I have to say, I'm really impressed with how great your retro consoles look after you clean them. They look practically brand new!

On the games front, have you been finding anything worthwhile at these garage sales?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JFo said:

I have to say, I'm really impressed with how great your retro consoles look after you clean them. They look practically brand new!

On the games front, have you been finding anything worthwhile at these garage sales?

Thanks! Black consoles with matte finishes are the best in that regard. Standard pledge furniture polish (the orange scent one) does wonders to restore the look of those consoles though it works well even with grey consoles like the SNES or even stuff like Gamecube in purple. You have to let it dry properly to not leave streaks but once done, it's like they're straight out of the box AND it helps reduce the dust that gathers on the units.

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser is also fantastic for removing scuffs. I can't recommend it enough. Throughout this entire retro journey of mine, I'm consistently appalled by how poorly people treat their consoles.:(  In worst case scenarios, you end up having to spend a little money to do full on case replacements. Thankfully that's only been in the handheld realm for me but it's not hard to find full shell replacements for most consoles out there as well. I've replaced the front part of the shell on a PSP 3000 I own because the screen cover was scratched. As mentioned earlier, I replaced the full LCD on a PSP Go due to scratches, etc. It sounds insane but I actually find this stuff fun!:)

On the games front, its mostly all miss. You just don't find much out there without a big price tag cause folks are onto the collector's mind set of these items. I was able to pick up a working copy of Shining Force on the Genesis for 2 bucks. Cart only and its not in the greatest of conditions but I've found a good replacement cart shell source and am looking into how best to print out a reproduction label that matches the original. I also ordered these:

https://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/SEGA-Genesis-Game-Case-5-Cases-p55700247

...and plan to print out my own reproduction cover art. These are all low cost options to restoring proper original games without spending obscene amounts of money on some of the harder to find titles out there.

17 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Throughout this entire retro journey of mine, I'm consistently appalled by how poorly people treat their consoles.:( 

I hear ya. It baffles me as well. I mean, what are these people doing to their consoles? I can understand if the controllers are dinged up and the control sticks are worn out, since people are actually handling them, but consoles themselves mostly sit on a shelf and are left untouched. Beyond getting dusty, they really shouldn't be all that dirty. Or at least one would think.

Which reminds me, last year, when I traded in my original Xbox One to GameStop the clerk who was checking out the system and controller asked me if I had ever even played it. Apparently, the controller -- particularly the thumb sticks -- were in such good condition, that he wondered if it had ever been used. Of course I had played my Xbox One. Lots. I just don't trash them like apparently some other people do. 

At any rate, I should look into cracking open my PS3 and Xbox 360 slim to clean them out. I bet there's plenty of dust built up inside them after years of use.

I suppose consoles that get carted from A to B all the time get more dinged up, and a portable that gets moved around in a bag is going to get nasty.  Older stuff where you're constantly handling the thing to get carts in and out is also going to take much more of a beating.  Then there's the SNES that I have that fell off a 10 ft shelf and broke the front of the case off.  Still works though.  I also remember a friend of mine had a populous cart for the SNES where the top 1/3 or so got broken off, but somehow the game still worked. 

Fun that you managed to find an old Gameboy though.  I know I still have at least one somewhere around here.  Haven't turned one of those on in ages. 

Replacement Gameboy case arrived with the new lens. Just to give you an idea why I try to stick to the original plastics, look at the color variance in the image below! You can likely find something closer but if you can clean and restore the original, it’s always the way to go. I also included some shots of the lens removal, the gunk I had to clean from 30 years of adhesive settling, lens comparison, a closeup to give you an idea of how screwed the old lens was and the final money shot if the new lens on the unit,

With the new lens, it’s a damn near out of box quality Gameboy minus some minor scuffs.

FC180343-FEC6-442D-9638-433786299125.jpeg

291A7976-846C-4D5E-89C7-55267D59A644.jpeg

D9DB21E3-DD3F-48A1-89A7-DB7B4C5FF1E2.jpeg

B650727E-8FD0-4D7A-B9F2-BE16E48AB0F7.jpeg

7224B14E-49F4-4226-AE61-17C315773F6A.jpeg

D8E2B383-2B2D-4944-B3A0-E0E94925E410.jpeg

Another successful lunch time sojourn. I need to see how much I can clean this up before I decide to do a case replacement but not bad for $20.

6EDF2C33-33EE-4FCA-8210-3CCF25E63EA9.jpeg

DEAADCDE-8036-4A2A-93A6-18A03A3086D0.jpeg

1C679A07-99B6-44CF-9117-4A771064B24B.jpeg

BE8924BD-2ADB-492A-A7E2-3D469A69A201.jpeg

904A7F3C-281C-4F16-B8D5-D3144578F7FC.jpeg

All cleaned up, I have replacement stickers for the backside of the unit on the way from EBay for about 5 bucks. The screen lens is in great condition with only a few light scratches. Not worth replacing, IMO.

76135C34-DD4B-4D5F-84F0-79DA6CE7C94B.jpeg

A48B20F0-E6A4-4106-B7DE-5E04BC445579.jpeg

C3D8566A-66AB-4357-9895-96C68F19FFA9.jpeg

5E56A8D1-39DD-4879-BA02-7C998972BB2F.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice!  You know you're getting close to Pinball restoration territory, right?  Same idea (cleaning old stuff, replacing with new parts), just on a bigger scale.  Also, just as satisfying   :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey, I finally hit some gold on the game front! I picked this up for $10 bucks at a yard sale.:) They had a few othe Genesis titles but I already own most of them. I about fainted when I saw this and the elderly couple selling it seemed like they just wanted stuff from their grand kid gone as they were moving.

069DFF19-9514-4E1E-8CC7-1D01F2E724C1.jpeg

1F7181EF-E374-488A-9166-5E63C99D58E8.jpeg

• Like 2

Not really retro but I found a listing on the Facebook marketplace for a Galaxy style New 3DS. The seller bought it for their kid who used it 5 times and never touched it again. These are usually $200 new and the guy wanted $100 bucks for it. I couldn’t say no as they are a slew of 3DS games I’ve wanted to revisit since I got rid of mine and a bunch of new games released since then as well that I never played. It’s in pristine condition with only a few light scratches on the underside.

I picked up A Link Between Worlds, Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon and Metroid Samus Returns as my opening salvo into the 3DS library. I also picked up Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2 3D.:)

4B358CED-9F2A-4A1D-A00E-27C3FECEDE14.jpeg

16988A2D-CE15-46F0-98EC-94C835D53D2C.jpeg

FF48CDC9-D96A-4918-AB16-BF4C770FFEF6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I picked up A Link Between Worlds, Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon and Metroid Samus Returns

Those are all really good picks. I played Samus Returns when it came out last fall and it's a really excellent remake of Metroid II.

19 hours ago, JFo said:

Those are all really good picks. I played Samus Returns when it came out last fall and it's a really excellent remake of Metroid II.

Yeah, I ended up really enjoying it, despite having just played AM2R a couple months earlier. 

WarioWare gold and Rhythm Heaven Megamix are also both fantastic if you haven't got them yet.

Stopped by a retro game shop yesterday and did some 5th and 6th generation game hunting. All in all spent a little over $70 for all of this:

4CF14FBD-B12A-460D-8180-2223B31B2908.jpeg

I forgot all about No One Lives forever. Played it on Windows.  The next weekend I have some free time I want to hit up Video Game NY to look around, as for some reason I never went there. 

I forgot that NOLF was released on consoles.  It's one of the most popular MIA PC games out there in the GOG polls-I gather it's a bit of a rights nightmare.  Viewtiful Joe 2 is also a fantastic game (from what I remember at least-not sure how well it holds up...).

NOLF and NOLF2 were both so good.  It's too bad that they are trapped in rights issues.

Also its crazy what some of these systems are going for these days.  I paid $30 for my Jaguar new in the box and another $80 for the CD attachment new in the box.

Are you still using the Sony TV or did you go with the TCL LCD for these consoles?

1 hour ago, kelley said:

NOLF and NOLF2 were both so good.  It's too bad that they are trapped in rights issues.

Also its crazy what some of these systems are going for these days.  I paid $30 for my Jaguar new in the box and another $80 for the CD attachment new in the box.

Are you still using the Sony TV or did you go with the TCL LCD for these consoles?

I have both. 34inch Trinitron CRT and the TCL 6 series 55inch connected to the Framemeister.