LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

All this cost about $110.  The copy of Desert Strike was brand new. I opened it before posting the pic. The GBA has been cleaned as well along with the games.

5A7E2415-34DA-4FED-8F4A-C0838513EF05.jpeg

9ED3404C-2C7E-4F68-9487-9ACD1B704928.jpeg

8B82815C-8CF3-42CC-AFCF-3EDF7A799292.jpeg

110FF6AE-B911-491A-B057-40C8FDCE3A75.jpeg

AF667A2E-7B00-4859-80A3-10855490B0BE.jpeg

More additions from this weekend. The most I paid was $25 for the copy of Final Fantasy III. All authentic (which you have to worry about these days considering how many repros are in the market)

C9130BD9-6A73-48AC-B740-3E4E63A2717D.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

More additions from this weekend. The most I paid was $25 for the copy of Final Fantasy III. All authentic (which you have to worry about these days considering how many repros are in the market)

C9130BD9-6A73-48AC-B740-3E4E63A2717D.jpeg

I *think* I still have that Batman game, but I had it before for sure.

On the comment about repos, that would bug the shit out of me if I was collecting, especially if you were buying online or trying to get something new in box. I know alot of people prefer the old KB Stores price stickers or whatever on the box just because it's another sign it's authentic. 

I'm reminded of a wine documentary on Netflix where this guy *really* knew wine, and he blended his own and put it back in expensive bottles with forged labels. No one knew and everyone was generally happy, but it wasn't authentic. 

I definitely had Batman on Gameboy. I’m trying to think where the hell my Gamboy and games are actually as that is a practical retro scene I could feasibly get into and finally play a Pokemon game (and I want to play Roger Rabbit again). I know they’re somewhere in storage but unsure of the location. I should have an original, a silver Gamboy Pocket (goat!) and a flippy screen GBA somewhere. 

Love Gamboy Ducktales too. 

I got bizarrely emotional stumbling on a Youtube playthrough of.... Snoopy Magic Show, which was a Snoopy themed puzzle game I played a lot and loved but had forgotten all about until I saw it again and suddenly found myself instantly whistling all the music. Funny what out brain burries but still holds on to over time.

I’ll throw out another random, though more popular recommendation. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone for Gameboy Colour. This was when EAs games were basing themselves off the books rather than the films. Solid little RPG.

Pretty sure I still have a Gameboy Camera and Printer somewhere. 

I think, to this day, my biggest gaming regret was never getting myself a Gameboy Micro. I’d like to remedy that error at some point. Silver model would do (the awesome Game and Watch style one fetches high prices).

• Like 1

Went out and rooted through some crates I knew housed most of my gaming back catalogue. I have a Playstation, SNES, Dreamcast, Goldstar 3DO, N64, Saturn, Megadrive (mk2), a Barcode Battler and my games. My Dreamcast is now completely yellow. :(  My Cube, Wii and slim PS2  + games are somewhere else. I have several Japanese N64 games still boxed, but weirdly the only regular N64 game still boxed is a US copy of Turok. No idea why I kept the box to that one. My NES+Games was stolen years ago as I've mentioned before.

Anyhoo, with all of the above was my family of Gameboys! 

IMG_7464-1.JPG?raw=1

The screen panel on the original is quite scratched (I remembered it was though, so no shock). The original, Pocket and Colour are all missing their damn battery compartment doors too. They might be buried somewhere else (though fairly sure the original's is gone). I truly love the pocket. Found my Gameboy camera and printer with them too. Printer still has a paper spool in it. :) 

I wish the Pocket design had come after the Colour as it is so damn sleek. I'd like to fix up the display on the original, find a battery door on eBay and will store it away safely. The other three I'd be quite keen to get back into playing. 

Nice as it was to find those, I have no idea where my games are! I've a feeling they're with a batch of Megadrive games stored elsewhere, but not sure where that might be. Very frustrating. Will put in some calls to family. 

• Like 2

Which model SP is that? 001 or 101?

The Pocket and Micro are the only two GB models I don't own. I plan to in the near future. The Micro's go for a good price though so I'm waiting on a good deal. I'm patient that way.:)

As for your models you want to fix up, do it. Battery door compartments are super cheap on Ebay. As are replacement lens' for the models all the way up to the pocket. Well worth it.

• Like 1

AGS-001 front lit original for the SP. I never had an original advance so lept on the SP as soon as it came out. I need to find the charger. 

Had a vision of all my Gamboy and Advance games stashed in a tupperware box. Just a question of where that is. I want my Advance Wars damn it!

giphy.gif

Went back to the storage and went through some other boxes. I was right about remembering keeping some Gameboy games in a little tupperware box...

IMG_7468-1.JPG?raw=1

... but it was only my small GBA collection along with my original Tetris cart, Tetris DX and curiously Game & Watch Gallery 2. I guess whenever I got the SP those where the only older Gameboy games I felt worth keeping close to hand. So the mystery as to the whereabouts of my larger Gameboy stash continues, as does the hunt for my Megadrive games. I would hope they are all together somewhere in family storage so I am waiting to find out.

Interesting that all but Zelda on GBA are US purchases. I must have picked those up during my travels in the early 2000s. 

Another mystery is that my Gamecube is not in fact with my PS2 slim and Wii. I have no memory of selling it, and since it was a modified Japanese console it would have been difficult to sell anyway, so I am convinced it is somewhere with family too. I did find my Gamecube controller though, which was with my Wii and all my Cube and Wii games as I used the controller for backwards compatibility. I've taken it out of storage if I decide to get the Switch adapter to use it for Smash Ultimate. 

On top of the above GBA collection I also found something I didn't even think I had kept... my original DS:

IMG_7469-1.JPG?raw=1

Aaaaaaand I had the charger for the DS which just so happens to work with the GBA SP so I plugged that in and it's working perfectly (threw in the og Tetris cart. It's actually quite impressive how the GBA converted that to colour).

• Like 3

End of week shopping sojourn yields a good haul for $50. I’ve worked out a pretty good PSP collection over the past few weeks. I’m slowly but surely building up my GBA/GB/GBC collection as well.

38B15617-FE60-48CD-BCEF-732BDAF1CDDB.jpeg

Oh and I went back to the game shop to peruse and the owner remembered me buying Phantasy Star II and gave me the missing guide book from the package. He forgot that he had it when I bought it.:)

C1AE9A98-6A4C-4B0C-96BE-3C940C30DE67.jpeg

• Like 3

Something else I picked up a while ago....B19FA96F-3CC3-4483-9863-8F799C54B59C.jpegF9FFD546-DE98-4B20-9559-0EA5DC5A3142.jpeg

Looks in pretty good shape, no? Then I opened it.

3FC09A11-C10A-444F-A13D-026E69438639.jpeg9BFC6F6C-2F97-47BB-B9A3-F49D912F9813.jpeg

I’ll post some after shots post cleaning. I won’t subject a poor GB game to this filth. :(

Well that was disgusting. Insect carcasses and rodent hair under the board! Whomever owned this before certainly loved it hard.:) Post cleaning...

585F740D-4EED-481A-B80E-24B00851598C.jpeg

E2C7DE68-15B8-4A37-9CF3-B58FE9812372.jpeg

73433FE4-38B0-4421-AFAA-F3AE1C8CE91D.jpeg

BDE618D2-ACF0-47FA-8677-D5AA867CE6CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally found my old NES! It was in my parents basement. I went over to the game store and picked up a new 72 pin connector for the unit and finished installing it. Also in the process of cleaning it. Thankfully, the plastic is in great condition with no yellowing to speak of.

09432FF9-6486-4DD2-8788-CC4C0D4347D2.jpeg

A8BD5A5A-2C85-41C0-9DD7-FEA72BCAD3AB.jpeg

• Like 1

How does one identify fake Gameboy cartridges? Should my original collection be lost completely there are some I’d like to buy back (though admittedly I know I’d get hung up on the fact they wouldn’t be MY copies because I am a daft sentimentalist). 

32 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

How does one identify fake Gameboy cartridges? Should my original collection be lost completely there are some I’d like to buy back (though admittedly I know I’d get hung up on the fact they wouldn’t be MY copies because I am a daft sentimentalist). 

http://www.theavalancherebels.com/2015/05/22/6-ways-to-spot-a-fake-gba-game/

• Like 1

Cleaning all done. The new 72 pin connectors puts a death grip on the games I put in the thing but I expected that. I may end up using my Game Genie and not bother pushing the games down so it loosens the pins a bit over time and so that it doesn’t push the pins down which invariably causes the flashing light problem (the front loading design of the NES really was fucking dumb). Here you go:

496AB203-B2E6-44D3-9B02-521167647891.jpeg

015B9D78-3361-4600-A59D-00A64DD6C558.jpeg

93126A08-6044-4793-9502-B8002075EF65.jpeg

C121DC07-8F76-4529-88B7-AC267B73DE85.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve been messing with my NES and having a hell of a time getting games to work consistently despite having a new pin connector. Then it dawned on me that I hadn’t cleaned my NES carts in the better part of two decades...lol. So I popped a few open and it wasn’t pretty. Q-tips and alcohol helped but getting caked in residue off of those pin connectors was near impossible. After some reading, I took to the store to pick up some Brasso brass/metal cleaner to give it a shot. Some people swear it’s too abrasive but I couldn’t find a report of anyone’s cart failing after using it and found many more praising it. Put me in the praise category. I’ve cleaned 15 carts so far and each has worked flawlessly and consistently. I have about 45 total to clean but that’ll be my Turkey holiday project.

Here’s an example of a before and after. It’s not one of the most extreme examples but you get the drift....

646A351D-397D-4EAE-80B1-2EC71B87062E.jpeg

CAD3891D-7259-426B-B23B-1E33B9029BA0.jpeg

8EB5A208-B24C-410C-922A-BD7E89BF1B13.jpeg

6A0CAED3-3A66-4E53-AFC0-5C961C179897.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’ve been messing with my NES and having a hell of a time getting games to work consistently despite having a new pin connector. 

Have you looked into disabling the lock-out chip on the NES? It’s the cause most of the time for the flashing red light. It’s fairly easy to do as well. I did it on mine a few years back, and even with the original 75-pin connector, I was able to get games to boot up much more reliably.

Do a Google search and you’ll find plenty of instructional videos on what to do.

• Like 1