LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

Snatcher finally running on the Sega CD via the Framemeister with a 4x integer scale profile and a 5x integer scale. Not sure which I like better, yet. 5x obviously fills more of the screen but the resolution works a bit better at 4x.

C3E447FC-EF3E-42C2-9E04-491962DB37FD.jpeg9A773020-5101-4016-92AC-B598AC9A2344.jpeg

On 2/17/2019 at 12:48 AM, Eldorado said:

Second looks better in every regard to me.

To be fair, the first pic kind of sucks which is on me. Color and all other PQ elements are identical in person. The 5x scale just blows the image up to fill more of the screen. It’s nicer to get more image on the screen but the 4x looks a bit more accurate resolution wise.

47 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

Anyone keeping an eye on the Polymega?

Looks like a nicer quality Retron 5. I don’t know much about it but given the pricing, that seems more of a software emulation box than an FPGA solution. Especially given the “installation” of games.  If so, good luck on emulating the Saturn...lol.  That’s a tough scene.

Seems like it could be a nice emulation box solution.

Edit:

From their FAQ when asked about whether the unitb100% emulation:

For now, standard modules use standard emulation with low latency controller inputs. Certain modules in the future will release with an embedded FPGA that will allow extended compatibility with hardware accessories.

It's probably not going to amount to anything. Is this something that's even possible? Licensing and software just aren't where it needs to be for this device to be practical.

3 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

In unrelated related news, I did a thing:

So, did you use it, and if so, how long before you stopped playing because of the throbbing headache?

Your next task is to find a copy of Virtual Boy Wario Land, which easily the best game on the platform. Yes, I have it, and yes, I've played it to completion. It's really great. It's one of those titles that I wish Nintendo would port to 3DS or Switch with full color graphics. It'll never happen, but it would be so cool if it did.

• Haha 1

It gets here Thursday. I picked these and Wario Land, as well.

I'm predicting about 6 minutes before my eyes pop out of my head.

sgfh.JPG

One more thing, I was surprised at how crisp the image was in the Virtual Boy. I have been trying out the entire library in the Oculus is preparation but the moment I looked into the VB headset I was struck at the quality of the display. For all the problems with the Virtual Boy, it was still designed by Nintendo so you can expect to be impressed with the details.

Regardless, it looks pretty sharp added to the collection, and that's what's most important.

20190221_185008.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Regardless, it looks pretty sharp added to the collection, and that's what's most important.

Wow, you’ve got quite a gallery of useless Nintendo crap.

Right outside the frame is an E-Reader, a Wii U, and a complete set of every online endeavor Nintendo has ever endeavored. I like collecting themes.

That's really neat-I had no idea that existed.  I actually beat that game back in the day (using the Nintendo Power hints of course), but haven't gone back to it to see how badly it aged. 

I’ve been considering using those universal game cases for loose carts. Especially on the NES as I gave damn near 60 carts I could use them on. Just a matter of laziness in not having ordered the yet. Looks nice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’ve been considering using those universal game cases for loose carts. Especially on the NES as I gave damn near 60 carts I could use them on. Just a matter of laziness in not having ordered the yet. Looks nice.

If you're looking for motivation to get you started, don't forget you have to dremel the insides on each case so the NES carts can fit. ;) 

It's all worth it though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

If you're looking for motivation to get you started, don't forget you have to dremel the insides on each case so the NES carts can fit. ;) 

It's worth it though. 

Yeah, I know. Not to mention proper high quality gloss paper and ink to print out all of the covers.:)

And the cases only come in bulks of 100 and quality paper cutters aren't cheap. This project has so many things going for it!

Labor of love, bro.

1 hour ago, Rainmaykr said:

And the cases only come in bulks of 100 and quality paper cutters aren't cheap. This project has so many things going for it!

Labor of love, bro.

Thankfully, the cases are now available in 25, 10 and 3 packs from Amazon. I’d buy the 100 as well but at least you can cheap out as needed. 

I hear ya on the labor of love. My next purchase:

http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gscartsw/

Likely put in my order by the end of the week if he doesn’t close off preorders by then.

• Like 1