LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
AlbertA

The LG OLED thread

A few of us own LG OLED sets now so I thought to leave the  "The official TV and Display Tech thread" alone and post in a dedicated thread instead.

For the record I now own an OLEDB657A :)

I just flashed the latest firmware 4.70.76

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2963882-2017-lg-oled-latest-firmware-04-70-76-released.html

I encountered a weird bug with audio decoding on the apps, where it randomly started to only decode the left and right channel and nothing else. It didn't go away until I unplugged the set and restarted it.

Is it still a fact that I have to turn dynamic contrast to high in Game mode? It certainly seems that way. However HDTVTest comments on the videos below mention it only does normal contrast expansion not the dynamic eotf mapping of the cinema modes. Yes 

I'm currently using mostly these settings:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

But I just noticed these too:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled/settings

I'm a bit confused on what to set TruMotion to: The B7 and C7 reviews claims that for judder free 24p source playback, you need to set TrueMotion to User and put the sliders at 0. Yet the C7 settings page above says to just set it to off. I need some 24p horizontal panning patterns here :)

Any other general knowledge about these sets?

I'm starting to go over HDTVTest videos on the set:

7 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Is it still a fact that I have to turn dynamic contrast to high in Game mode? It certainly seems that way. However HDTVTest comments on the videos below mention it only does normal contrast expansion not the dynamic eotf mapping of the cinema modes.

That's correct, it can't do the dynamic simulation for games. I could be mistaken but I THINK part of the problem is HDR in the games industry actually has no set standards, at least not in the sense that film and broadcast industries have standards for such things, so it is generally harder for displays to get an idea of what their working with and how best to apply tone mapping. 

LG changed the way they handled HDR in game mode last year. On the 2016 models at least, if you actually watch an HDR movie in ISF or Cinema mode, and switch to watching the movie in HDR game mode you will actually see game mode handles the HDR curve quite differently, some would argue it actually does a better job of preserving specular highlight detail in game mode and my eyes would agree, the downside is 'real cinema' is disabled in game mode which isn't ideal if watching movies.

Not my images, but illustrating the point the HDR Game Mode actually retains more highlight detail vs the other HDR modes with video content on the older sets (HDR above, HDR Game Mode below):

dsc_0004g4suj.jpg

dsc_0005nbsl0.jpg

People got pissy about the Game Mode change, but they seem to be those who are of the belief that HDR = brightness rather than HDR = detail in brightness, so yes while the overall image in game mode dimmed somewhat, it was to aid the retention of highlight detail which is precisely the approach LG take to tone mapping in all of their other HDR modes anyway.

I've shared this before, but Vincent did a good video about how various manufacturers have different approaches to tone mapping HDR. LG's old game mode would clip highlights a lot more, much in the way the Sony OLED panel opts to handle HDR for all content. You can see, again, LG's choice for video content is to have an overall darker image and preserve more highlight detail which is now how the HDR Game mode operates, and Panasonic seem to have found a happy middle ground:

I can only assume LG's HDR Game mode does an even better job of retaining highlight detail because it might be dimming the overall image more than the regular modes do. I can't be sure, but the reasons for this could again be due to possible lack of standards for HDR in gaming, and the fact that games will more typically have 4000 and 10,000nit peaks compared to movies (which are capable of having up to 10,000, but it is currently quite rare), so in assuming games may have a lot more highlight detail the LG perhaps is a little more aggressive in trying to preserve it? All guesswork on my part, also I speak only for the 6th Gen LG's in comparing their various HDR modes. LG's 'Active HDR' did not become available until the 2017 models, so I'd actually assume that the regular HDR modes with Active HDR enabled on 2017 and 2018 models do a much better job of retaining more highlight detail than the regular HDR modes on the 2016 sets do, which would render the game mode trick for movie content rather moot on the latest LG sets. 

When we have 4000 and 10,000 nit displays none of this damn stuff will matter anymore.... and we wont be talking about OLED anymore either of course. :) 

I'm a bit confused on what to set TruMotion too: The B7 and C7 reviews claims that for judder free 24p source playback, you need to set TrueMotion to User and put the sliders at 0. Yet the C7 settings page above says to just set it to off. I need some 24p horizontal panning patterns here :)

Personally, on my E6, I have it switched off completely. 24fps judder has never bothered me at the cinema for all the years I've been alive, so I don't need any algorithms trying to smooth it out at home. Now for some broadcast feeds, sports...etc, it might be worth experimenting, but it's hit and miss, and at the end of the day LGs motion processing just isn't particularly good at this kind of thing (that might change with the 2018 models, however).

Back to TrueMotion on 24p content though. Do you own Sicario? Right at the start of chapter 2 or 3 they arrive at a base and there are some helicopters flying in the background. If I have the sliders set to 0 those helicopters judder like crazy on my E6, whereas they're fine with TrueMotion switched off. If your set passes the Sicario test, then sure leave the sliders at 0. 

• Like 2

No Trumotion on here either. I still haven’t updated my B6 primarily due to the fear of raised blacks but once the Dolby Vision update hits, I’ll be updating.

Tru Motion off on my b7. I used the settings from rtings . Only difference was going into the service menu to shut off the dimming setting mentioned in the other thread.

4 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Tru Motion off on my b7. I used the settings from rtings . Only difference was going into the service menu to shut off the dimming setting mentioned in the other thread.

Same. It’s a god send.

• Like 1

Yep. For me it really was a pain when watching videos on YouTube. It would always dim while watching things, I thought something was wrong until I saw it brought up in the tv thread.

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's correct, it can't do the dynamic simulation for games. I could be mistaken but I THINK part of the problem is HDR in the games industry actually has no set standards, at least not in the sense that film and broadcast industries have standards for such things, so it is generally harder for displays to get an idea of what their working with and how best to apply tone mapping. 

Yeah I hope more games start including HDR calibration tools. Injustice 2 has a nice and simple one. 

Personally, on my E6, I have it switched off completely. 24fps judder has never bothered me at the cinema for all the years I've been alive, so I don't need any algorithms trying to smooth it out at home. Now for some broadcast feeds, sports...etc, it might be worth experimenting, but it's hit and miss, and at the end of the day LGs motion processing just isn't particularly good at this kind of thing (that might change with the 2018 models, however).

OK, I'll need to find a good pattern to test this. I was mainly worried about the uneven sample rate, which is mostly referred to as judder. i.e. making 24fps content "sample and hold" 5 frames for 120fps.

Stutter, I still find annoying depending on the display. I remember it not being as annoying on film projectors and CRTs. With digital projection and TVs I find it more objectionable. Black frame insertion helps but I don't see that as an option on the LG OLED.

Back to TrueMotion on 24p content though. Do you own Sicario? Right at the start of chapter 2 or 3 they arrive at a base and there are some helicopters flying in the background. If I have the sliders set to 0 those helicopters judder like crazy on my E6, whereas they're fine with TrueMotion switched off. If your set passes the Sicario test, then sure leave the sliders at 0. 

Rats, I don't own Sicario.

21 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Yep. For me it really was a pain when watching videos on YouTube. It would always dim while watching things, I thought something was wrong until I saw it brought up in the tv thread.

Umm I haven't run into that with my set. Perhaps fixed on the firmware I'm on?

Nope it’s default still in the service menu, they have never touched it.. I only noticed it on a few movies in very dark scenes like Rise of Planet of the Apes night stuff, but on YouTube videos  with just talking without a lot of movement , it happened all the time. The screen dims darker. Big thread over on avs about it. 

23 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Nope it’s default still in the service menu, they have never touched it.. I only noticed it on a few movies in very dark scenes like Rise of Planet of the Apes night stuff, but on YouTube videos  with just talking without a lot of movement , it happened all the time. The screen dims darker. Big thread over on avs about it. 

Oh interesting... any particular video I should check out? 

And.....ahem... how do you access the service menu?

At the time I was watching a lot of board game reviews/playthroughs so the camera was pretty fixed. 

You need to have a logitech remote or one of the others that has has the service menu button option. I know romier posted a link to a non logitech option in the tv thread a few months back. Someone also posted a link to the video showing how to do it. Do not just fool around changing stuff in there, it is a very specific thing.

Was it actually obvious with movies on your 7 series, Joey? LG extended the time before the dimming kicked in on the 7's.

Unforgiven is a good stress test for the dimming, and some of the later Harry Potters as mentioned in the UHD thread some time back. I'd get it on Youtube a lot too with the Easy Allies podcast since the camera is stationary on the same shot of the four of them for a long time which is typically what gradually triggers it. 

As I mentioned , it was only obvious on a few films , only after I noticed it happening during other stuff. Once I saw it I just noticed it happening.

So the OLED gods have smiled upon thee.

I submitted a price rewind request on my CITI card citing the price from tvsuperstores (as mentioned by people in the Slickdeals forum thread). Today it was approved.

So the grand total I paid for the OLEDB657A was $1399. A steal.

• Like 4

Anyone else experience HDMI issues on their LG OLED display?  Just recently it seems HDMI ports 3 and 4 have stopped working on my LG B6 55".  The other day they were spotty and started to display at a really low res and now finally they show no signal.  When I switch the same device to HDMI port 2 it is fine.  My PS4 pro uses port 2, cable tv port 1 and LG UHD/Roku Ultra share port 3 (haven't picked up another HDMI cable yet).  Wondering if I should look into an HDMI switcher and just plug that into port 2 and switch between PS4/UHD/Roku.  Anyone have experience with switchers?  Gotta love technology...  

Getting a switcher is certainly an option.  I would be worried that your other HDMI ports might follow suit though, even if they are fine now.  

On 4/2/2018 at 10:25 PM, AlbertA said:

So the OLED gods have smiled upon thee.

I submitted a price rewind request on my CITI card citing the price from tvsuperstores (as mentioned by people in the Slickdeals forum thread). Today it was approved.

So the grand total I paid for the OLEDB657A was $1399. A steal.

Can you message me details on where you got it and the original price before the price rewind?

Thanks.  Thinking of finally upgrading the old Kuro on the main level.

Cyberwoo Contact lg , those other hdmi ports may soon follow.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, JoeyN said:

Cyberwoo Contact lg , those other hdmi ports may soon follow.

I'm hoping they are wired differently and have better luck.  :) They are the 2 ARC port for what its worth.  

22 minutes ago, Cyberwoo said:

I'm hoping they are wired differently and have better luck.  :) They are the 2 ARC port for what its worth.  

Why chance it though? LG are very good about taking care of OLED claims and you're talking about an input board swap out that would take a technician less than 20 minutes to do.

• Like 2

I have had multiple tvs with boards that failed, and things stopped working one by one just like that.

Nice improvements on the processing end. Good to see LG finally getting a grip on that end of things. Good to see Dynamic Tone Mapping on HDR Game Mode now too.