The LG OLED thread

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

B7 had an update this morning.

Right 4.71.0

I haven’t noticed any differences yet.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, AlbertA said:

Right 4.71.0

I haven’t noticed any differences yet.

One of the updates last year screwed up something. 

Do you mean the HDR Game mode last year dimming the image? If so, that was never a fault as I've explained before. It dimmed the image but for the benefit of greater highlight detail retention (i.e what HDR is supposed to achieve). Basically LG made the tone mapping for gaming similar to their approach to tone mapping video content. They've actually spent more time on their HDR Gaming mode though and the beta for the new 6 series firmware (with the Dolby Vision fix) has an improved HDR Game mode where it retains greater brightness while also retaining better highlight detail. Getting HDR right for gaming sources seems to be a particularly unique and time consumer clusterfuck for TV manufacturers in its own right. I'm impressed they bothered to add their new algorithm to the 6 series. 

Wasn’t there a difference issue where black levels were raised?  I thought it was something Romier spoke of.

There's been a Dolby Vision bug that raises black levels that the forthcoming firmware, currently in beta, finally fixes. Never noticed a raised black level issue with the HDR Game mode, just the dimming. 

22 hours ago, Angel P said:

Wasn’t there a difference issue where black levels were raised?  I thought it was something Romier spoke of.

There's a glowing blacks  issue with the 6 series sets that was introduced in the last firmware. It shouldn't affect later models like yours.

41 minutes ago, Romier S said:

There's a glowing blacks  issue with the 6 series sets that was introduced in the last firmware. It shouldn't affect later models like yours.

Yes, I remember it was something that affected previous series’. I’d just rather wait for some feedback regarding new firmware before downloading. 

That's weird as I've never seen elevated blacks on HDR-10 content on my E6. In fact I even had to adjust sub brightness in the service menus to improve the set crushing black too much.

41 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Yes, I remember it was something that affected previous series’. I’d just rather wait for some feedback regarding new firmware before downloading. 

Working well so far here. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's weird as I've never seen elevated blacks on HDR-10 content on my E6. In fact I even had to adjust sub brightness in the service menus to improve the set crushing black too much.

It was specific to the B6 model from memory. It was reported heavily on AVS. It was also the main reason I decided not to update and stayed on the latest firmware. Moreso than the dim game mode.

Ah. I wonder if it could also be a region difference. I'd be surprised though.

Re game mode, if the new mode in the current E6 beta carries over to the B I think you will be happy. 

E6 firmware with the DV fix and other additions is supposedly rolling out this week in Europe. Oppo's latest firmware is out of beta now too so I am eagerly awaiting the UK download for both.

Became an OLED owner today. Picked up the B8. Went through and matched Rtings settings from the C8. So far everything looks fantastic. 

-Dean-

• Like 4

Been decorating for the last ten days so have had the TV unhooked but finally connected everything back up this evening and installed the E6 firmware update. Had to use USB as for some reason the TV is still not directly picking it up via the server. The Dolby Vision fix is most welcome. Everything is inky black again, but beyond that are what seem to be some interesting tweaks elsewhere too.

I concur with others that the new HDR Game mode is going to be much more appealing to those who found the previous patch too dim. I'd say it melds the best of both previous algorithms, closer to the original brightness, but without sacrificing as much highlight detail as the 2017 version favoured. You definitely don't need to enable dynamic contrast and do a lot of settings tinkering.

One interesting thing with games too is I would sometimes get a handshake issue if I did not switch my PS4 and TV on in the right order. I'd get a green flickering and have to shut everything down before switching both devices on again. Well, I got the flickering again this evening but only momentarily. For the first time the handshake managed to correct itself. I'll try to see if I can trigger this again in the coming days to test whether it was a fluke or if this is a genuine firmware improvement.

Particularly interesting, and could be a placebo, but I swear the over all image processing from the E6 is even better with this firmware. All sources look cleaner.

I'll cross post this in another thread too, but worth sharing here. Oppo's latest firmware is a real treat. It adds software based Dolby Vision processing which, if selected, applies a DV pass to HDR-10 content and  SDR HD content. You can't switch between just applying it to HDR-10 or SDR HD it's either both or you go back to normal viewing of native DV, HDR-10 and SDR HD. What the DV software pass does to non DV content is basically apply an internal tone mapping algorithm (presumably reading the tone curve metadata of HDR-10 discs, but how it reads SDR HD I am not sure). Here's the thing though, there are significant improvements to blocking and banding with this switched on, both with HDR-10 discs and 1080 SDR discs.

For HDR-10, a regular torture test on my LG has often been the scene in La La Land where Emma Stone first walks into the bar, the light narrows down on her in this shot creating a gradient of light that the OLED always went to pieces over, causing ugly macroblocking and banding (it is NOT the disc. It's LG's processing). Applying the DV conversion, while it does not eradicate the problems, it severely diminishes them. Likewise, chapter 2 on the UK 1080 Blu-ray of Frank, opens with a Domhnall Gleeson walking backstage at a pub and again, the transition from light to dark always caused the LG to throw a fit (again, I know for a fact its not the disc having run it on other displays). Here again the DV conversion delivers a measurable improvement. I can only imagine that in both cases there's something clever going on with Dolby's 12bit upconversion. 

I also watched bits of Jackson's King Kong and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, both of which seemed excessively bright and blown on when running in straight HDR-10, but having the Oppo do a Dolby Vision conversion again introduces some improvements in the tone mapping vs what the TV is capable of. 

I plan to watch Blade Runner 2049 tomorrow as there are a few shots on the Sony version of that disc that the LG never liked.

• Like 1