LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

I was listening to a podcast where this was talked about. Supposedly, it was done in a manner to keep the viewer mostly focused on certain characters/images by making the background/edges seem like they’re slightly out of focus akin to watching a 3D movie without the glasses. 

2 hours ago, Whooter said:

You did, but honestly, I can no longer remember the context....  

Edit: Found it!  :D

I think I should run for president just to have my LCVG archive of wtf comments intellectually debated on Facebook.

• Haha 1

It is indeed a recognised animation style of moving on “twos” where an image is held for two frames, rather than one (thus 12 instead of the standard 24 as Keith noted). I think it works magnificently for the movie and that, plus very limited motion blur, is what helps make it all feel so damn unique.

It’s a really special film on many levels. I loved it all. I’m really looking forward to owning it with HDR.

• Like 2

I thought the combination of shooting on twos and zero motion blur for the more static shots gave them a wonderfully stop-motion flavour, but I may just be odd. 

13 hours ago, iainl said:

I thought the combination of shooting on twos and zero motion blur for the more static shots gave them a wonderfully stop-motion flavour, but I may just be odd. 

I don't understand why people continuously believe that two things can't be true at once.

OK.  That looked brilliant.  I did not love the first movie.  Not one of my favorites.  But this looks friggin perfect.  I'm on the fence about the crazy supernatural bad guy stuff.  Not sure whether I like them going in the crazy direction rather than the down-to-earth direction.  But maybe that's actually a good thing?  We'll see.  But I like it.

And remind me, is this before Infinity War?  I think I read both before and after and not sure what to believe at this point.  But if it is after, it will be interesting to see how it fits together.

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

OK.  That looked brilliant.  I did not love the first movie.  Not one of my favorites.  But this looks friggin perfect.  

Why?  I didn't see anything greater than the first movie. Not defending the first movie, just not seeing why this is "brilliant" or "perfect".  It looks fine, but nothing special.  I kinda get that these things are always subjective, like right down to the mood or attitude of each individual viewer, but when the superlatives are that strong I feel like I'm missing some fine details. Like insider comic fans caught some awesome bits that go over the heads of more causal viewers, myself included. So,...? 

Edit, my favorite part was the Spiderman music at the end. That was the highlight for me. 

21 minutes ago, JTello said:

Why?  I didn't see anything greater than the first movie. Not defending the first movie, just not seeing why this is "brilliant" or "perfect".  It looks fine, but nothing special.  I kinda get that these things are always subjective, like right down to the mood or attitude of each individual viewer, but when the superlatives are that strong I feel like I'm missing some fine details. Like insider comic fans caught some awesome bits that go over the heads of more causal viewers, myself included. So,...? 

Edit, my favorite part was the Spiderman music at the end. That was the highlight for me. 

Every.  Single.  Thing.  The music.  The tone.  The pacing.  The jokes (The Han Solo movie trailer had tons of jokes, none of which I thought were particularly funny.  Not a good sign that I'm going to find the actual movie funny).  The setup with him going on a trip without his spidey suite because he thinks he doesn't need it.  The continuity with adult authority figures hitting on his hot aunt.  The situation of him having to maintain his two identities, while being on a field trip with his classmates, many of whom don't respect him, and then he's going to have to save all of them.  I love that shit.   Nick Fury playing the role of "Dad" for the new super hero like how Tony has been playing up until now.

Most of the first movie just didn't land well.  The jokes.   The moments.  The structure.  The characters.  But this trailer made me feel good about what's to come.  That I'm actually going to enjoy the movie this time.  It just works for me in a way that makes me excited to experience that movie they're selling.  The proof is in the pudding.  I saw the first movie, didn't really like it.  We'll see if my expectations are inline with the final product.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

How many Marvel films are coming out this year? Captain Marvel, Avengers, Spider-man. Is there a fourth after that? 

I believe that's it and two scheduled for next year.