LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I saw Antman and Wasp last night.  I have to say, I was very disappointed.  I think it is a very weak movie.  The dialog and performances are very mediocre.  The majority of the lines fell flat for me.  The majority of the quips and banter and one-liners fell into the category of almost-funny.  This movie wasn't "bad" but it felt more like a mediocre episode of a TV show that I would not keep watching unless they turned it around.

These Marvel movies get the benefit of the doubt and lots of good will during the opening credits.  So I was predisposed to liking this.  But if this wasn't MCU canon, I would not recommend anyone watch this movie.  That being said, the most exciting thing about this movie was its linkage to infinity war at the end.  Can't wait.

I had pretty much the opposite reaction. A good bit of the jokes landed with me and I like it as much as I did the original. If you're a fan of the original, there'a a good chance you'll enjoy the sequel, IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I had pretty much the opposite reaction. A good bit of the jokes landed with me and I like it as much as I did the original. If you're a fan of the original, there'a a good chance you'll enjoy the sequel, IMO.

Same here although I enjoy the original’s charm a shade more. Both, however, score very high for me on the MCU list as I feel they’re some of the better family films. 

• Like 1

I laughed as much watching it a few nights ago as I did in the theater. The humor just clicks with me. The school sequence is hilarious.

• Like 3

I'm with these guys, so it's obvious that Evil Joel and Keith are just dumb.  😝

• Haha 1

I enjoyed it, waiting for the UHD to watch it again, I agree with Keith though that the post-credits scene was my favorite part.

4 hours ago, Angel P said:

Same here although I enjoy the original’s charm a shade more. Both, however, score very high for me on the MCU list as I feel they’re some of the better family films. 

I thought the original was a few ticks better.  The original was not one of my favorites to begin with though.  Even the quantom realm stuff in this movie seemed half baked.  I bought into the ridiculous infinity stones.  I ate that shit up.  Loved it. But the quantum realm stuff in this seemed like a bunch of mumbo jumbo.  Like a so bad it's good 80s time travel TV show?

Rumor is Dark Avengers script has been green lit. Which means secret invasion could be coming, Which leads into some other cool stuff.

After secret invasion, Norman Osbourne was considered a hero and was appointed head of shield. He created a team of Avengers made up of villians who pretended to be heroes. Thus it was called “Dark Reign”. It eventually led to a lot of stuff which would be even more of a spoiler.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, JoeyN said:

After secret invasion, Norman Osbourne was considered a hero and was appointed head of shield. He created a team of Avengers made up of villians who pretended to be heroes. Thus it was called “Dark Reign”. It eventually led to a lot of stuff which would be even more of a spoiler.

I know that Disney will have X-men, FF, and Deadpool, and I know right now they have Spiderman, but they still don't own Spiderman, right?  They don't own the Spiderverse.  Sony could just take that away again, right?

They have a deal for at least two more spidey films. I do not see them taking it away. Sony still owns the rights and distribution, marvel produces it. Do not foresee that changing anytime soon. It is in Sony’s best interest to have him as part of the MCU. It’s bigger promotion.

Mark Ruffalo, Jimmy Fallon, and the Russo Brothers appear to be having some fun with the Avengers 4 title.

People have decoded what he said on the show and the translated title is:

Spoiler

The Last Avenger

Time will tell.

I really think he is such a moron.  A lovable moron.  That interview where he reveals that everyone dies in Infinity War is the funniest thing ever when you watch it now and know it was real.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, JoeyN said:

They have a deal for at least two more spidey films. I do not see them taking it away. Sony still owns the rights and distribution, marvel produces it. Do not foresee that changing anytime soon. It is in Sony’s best interest to have him as part of the MCU. It’s bigger promotion.

Considering the quality of movie they release when left to their own devices (see: Venom), its in their best interest to pin their Spidey future with the MCU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I really think he is such a moron.  A lovable moron.  That interview where he reveals that everyone dies in Infinity War is the funniest thing ever when you watch it now and know it was real.

Well that was revealed in 1991 :)

16 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Well that was revealed in 1991 :)

Remember when you told me to tell you when you're being comic book nerd? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Remember when you told me to tell you when you're being comic book nerd? 

I’m good with that

• Like 3

Black Widow film is moving forward with Scarlett taking home $15 million 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NickC said:

Black Widow film is moving forward with Scarlett taking home $15 million 

Women in general make less money than men doing comparable jobs.  It is complicated debate.  But that complicated debate gets conflated with the basic inequities between entertainers' ability to put asses in seats.  RDJ.  Tom Cruise.  The Rock.  They get paid insane money because they put asses in seats.  That's why they stuck RDJ in the Spiderman movie.  The Rock is not a better actor than, well almost anyone.  But sorry, he gets the money. 

Will Scarlet J draw in audiences enough to validate her 15M?  We'll see.  My hot take is that neither Black Widow or Hawkeye will garner the default level of interest that the other "super" characters do.  I would therefore not automatically swallow that either of those franchises deserve a 15M payday for the leads of those movies.

That being said, I would NEVER have thought that Thor would be one of my favorite superhero franchises and that Chris H. would be the superstar that he has become.  I never would have thought that Guardians and Captain America would have the success that they've had.  And Black Panther, holy crap.  So Marvel may surprise me once again.

How Captain Marvel does next Spring could be a good litmus test, although Black Widow would have an advantage due to the character being well-known by the movie-going public, already.

• Like 1

Ryan Coogler is back to write and direct Panther 2.

Widow will do more then fine. With Ant-Man(Wasp), GoTG, Strange and BP doing well I have no doubts on Marvel films going forward. Feige knows what he is doing, if only more studios had someone in charge like him.

• Like 1

He seems like lightening in a bottle, really. Though the abundance of Marvel history and source material obviously helps, his skill at knowing how and when to plunder what’s available and shape it to make it accessible to a wide audience is really quite unique in the industry. It helps that he’s just as passionate about it all as the fans too. 

• Like 1

The single best thing was not having the comics guys involved anymore, and letting the studio be it’s own thing. 

Actors' ability to bring an audience in general is kind of a different matter, though. Marvel movies are never cheap to make, and they've decided that there's a profit to be made in one with Black Widow headlining. More specifically, that there's more profit to be made in one starring Johansson on a $15M deal than there is in recasting with a cheaper performer.

Downey Jr. isn't really that big a crowd-puller, in the big scheme of things. But him as Iron Man signals to an audience that this is Core Marvel Continuity and you better get it watched. So he gets paid the big money.