LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

5 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Apparently worked with Hans Zimmer at his production company.  Been listening to the soundtrack all day at work today.  Great stuff but won’t expect a proper vinyl release that won’t be a picture disc.  

Another thing i’ll say is that, while I enjoyed her in Free Fire and Room, i really was hoping Anna Torv or Mary Elizabeth Winstead for the role.  Anna is 10 years older but i don’t care.  :D

Emily Blunt was who I thought would be a great Carol Danvers. Winstead as Spider-women and Torv as Black Cat.

23 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Apparently worked with Hans Zimmer at his production company.  Been listening to the soundtrack all day at work today. 

She did, yes, and one of the notable ones to have come from his company not just cloning the style he defined for himself. It’s definitely one of the better Marvel scores which makes me happy as there still aren’t many that are particularly memorable (the best and most interesting one to date is Black Panther, and I’d say Thor Ragnarok is a close second). I’m surprised how Infinity War’s score is just kind of... there.... with Silvestri even abandoning his Cap theme (and I’d hoped his fanfare for Iron Man from the first Avengers would get a reprise but it never did). 

It’s a shame little care was taken with the music for these films from the outset. It would have been fascinating to have seen separate composers write distinctive themes for these characters and to have all those themes referenced in the ensemble films, but sadly that’s just not the age of film music that we live in.

16 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Emily Blunt was who I thought would be a great Carol Danvers. Winstead as Spider-women and Torv as Black Cat.

Blunt was Favreau’s first choice for Black Widow once upon a time, no? 

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Blunt was Favreau’s first choice for Black Widow once upon a time, no? 

She was. She was also the first choice for Captain Marvel also, but had a bunch of films lined up already which blocked her from being available for End Game which was shot before Capt Marvel did.

2 hours ago, Angel P said:

Another thing i’ll say is that, while I enjoyed her in Free Fire and Room, i really was hoping Anna Torv or Mary Elizabeth Winstead for the role.  Anna is 10 years older but i don’t care.  :D

I'd have been on board with Mary Elizabeth Winstead or Emily Blunt. I also liked Larson in Room and Scott Pilgrim, maybe it's the script or direction here, hopefully her persona gels better in Endgame.

• Like 1

Just saw Captain Marvel.  I was wrong about this movie.

1) I liked it way more than I thought I would

2) The first 30 minutes weren't great, like many have said here.  But by the end, I was won over.  I rank this movie very strongly as a middle-of-the-pack Marvel movie.  With GoTG Vol 2 and other Marvel movies that are good, but not as good as Avengers, Thor 3, etc.

3) Carol Danvers is really good.  I thought she would be meh, based on reviews and people's reactions.  But she is almost perfect.  The right tone, attitude, likability, acting.  Not what I expected.  She is solid and I can't wait to see her be an avenger.  Don't get me wrong, she's not as good as Stark, Thor, Steve Rodgers, Ant-Man, or Black Widow.  But she holds her own with all the other main characters in the MCU.  She is very good.

4) So many references to other movies, pop-culture, etc.  I laughed a lot during this movie.  The tone and timing of humor worked perfectly for me.  There were very few funny moments that weren't actually funny.  Great job.

I'm a little confused about the future of Kree and Scrull war as far the future of the MCU given how this movie turns out.  Little confused.  But can't really discuss that in this thread.

And BAM, the End Game credits scene was perfect.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, JTello said:

Hide contents

One minor gripe. How did that message at the end 'Captain Marvel will return in Endgame' not get chopped out in final editing?  

Yeah, that is a standard tradition at the end of these movies.  During Infinity War they said "Thanos Will Return."  It isn't so much informative as it is their version of "to be continued"

8 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I'm a little confused about the future of Kree and Scrull war as far the future of the MCU given how this movie turns out.  Little confused.  But can't really discuss that in this thread.

Well let’s make a spoiler thread, because there is one other MCU plot hole that was opened up. It also answered a question from Agents of shield.

Since Captain Marvel looks like she’ll play a large part in End Game, how essential do you all think seeing this movie will be before End Game? Especially considering I have zero knowledge of the source material. 

I dont think I’ll be able to get out to see this one, and since End Game is only a little over a month away, I doubt it’ll be out on streaming in time. 

32 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Since Captain Marvel looks like she’ll play a large part in End Game, how essential do you all think seeing this movie will be before End Game? Especially considering I have zero knowledge of the source material. 

I dont think I’ll be able to get out to see this one, and since End Game is only a little over a month away, I doubt it’ll be out on streaming in time. 

I don't feel it's essential to see before Endgame unless you want to know something about Captain Marvel before Endgame. Considering the Avengers know nothing about her (I assume), you will be no worse off than they are :)

I agree.  You only need to know that she is a super powerful cosmic superhero that is good with technology, has powers like Thor’s lightening, and has a history with Nick Fury who she hasn’t seen since the 90s.  It might be important that her best friend is now old, she hasn’t aged because of her Kree blood, and her best friends daughter might be an important 30 year old character that she might encounter during end game.

• Like 1

Strong opening box office numbers for Captain Marvel, 153 Million US and 455 Million Worldwide.

7 minutes ago, NickC said:

Strong opening box office numbers for Captain Marvel, 153 Million US and 455 Million Worldwide.

Yep 7th biggest marvel opening, 2nd biggest origin film. Another billion dollar franchise in marvels cap.

Disney + is going to make them a fortune on Marvel stuff alone at this point.

With 20+ movies in the MCU, I’ve restructured my list into 3 tiers:

LOVED

• Infinity War
  • Civil War
  • Winter Soldier
  • Ragnarok
  • Guardians v2
  • The Avengers
  • Iron Man

REALLY REALLY LIKED

• Guardians v1
  • Homecoming 
  • Ant-Man
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Captain America
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • The Dark World
  • Incredible Hulk

DIDN’T HATE 

• Iron Man 3
  • Age of Ultron
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Angel P said:

LOVED

• Infinity War
  • Civil War
  • Winter Soldier
  • Ragnarok
  • Guardians v2
  • The Avengers
  • Iron Man

REALLY REALLY LIKED

• Guardians v1
  • Homecoming 
  • Ant-Man
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Captain America
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • The Dark World
  • Incredible Hulk

DIDN’T HATE 

• Iron Man 3
  • Age of Ultron
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor

Perfect job! 👍

6 hours ago, Angel P said:

LOVED

• Infinity War
  • Civil War
  • Winter Soldier
  • Ragnarok
  • Guardians v2
  • The Avengers
  • Iron Man

REALLY REALLY LIKED

• Guardians v1
  • Homecoming 
  • Ant-Man
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Captain America
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • The Dark World
  • Incredible Hulk

DIDN’T HATE 

• Iron Man 3
  • Age of Ultron
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor

That's the closest to MY list that I've ever seen another human being come up with.  My only adjustments are:

- The original Avengers is my #1

- Antman and Wasp and Thor 2 are in the bottom

- Swap Guardians Vol 1 with Vol 2 in your list

- Swap Thor 1 and 2 in your list

People generally like Homecoming and Black Panther more than I did.  I'd probably put them both lower in that section, but now I'm just nitpicking.

• Like 1

It’s gonna be around 3 hours. 

On the Disney+ news front, there is going to be a What If? Animated series overseen by Feige and Marvel studios.  For those that do not know what that is, they are stories about if stuff happened differently in the regular cannon. Such as “ what if Loki was the god of thunder” and “ what if Hydra won” etc. The comics were always a favorite of mine, and glad to see they are doing it for the MCU.

I've been getting a lot of Captain Marvel "reviews" in my YouTube feed.  Now everyone has an opinion.  People here have voiced that they're not interested in this movie or for those who have seen it, thought it was mediocre.  Fine.  I recognize that I like this movie more than some people.  Just as I like the Hulk movie more than everyone on the planet.

However, these reviews I've sampled are insane.  I admit that I am personally irked by the politics in pop culture.  Speaking positively or negatively about a movie can be perceived as a shot in American culture wars.  A movie getting nominated or winning an Oscar versus not getting nominated and not winning an Oscar is a shot fired in the culture war.

But jesus.  With this movie, and the reviews in my feed,  the hyperbole is so transparent.  These reviews are saying things like "The worst movie I've seen in a long time" and "The worst Marvel movie by far thus far."  It is so obvious that the reviewers are so offended by the girl-power message and activism of Brie Larson and their bias is comically apparent.  How could you possibly think this is the worst movie in a long time?  Do you actually watch movies?

I thought the white men backlash was exaggerated.  I usually think that everything is exaggerated because everything usually is.   Not in this case.  Holy shit.   My YouTube feed is ridiculous with angry white men saying this is the worst movie ever.  And then saying they should kill Carol Danvers off, Kevin Feige should be fired, this movie is going to bomb.

OMG, and don't read the YouTube comments.  They will darken your soul.

Wow.

• Like 1

Welcome to getting your eyes a little bit opened. 

"Never read the comments" is a good general rule that creative people have. Even if we do still read em.

I thought it was great. The low key moments were particularly welcome, and there were several character beats I was not anticipating. The humour and the buddy cop relationship between Carol and Fury was especially engaging.

On reflection it struck me that Cap Marvel, the character, is almost like a contemporary Rocketeer of sorts, and I’m absolutely down with that! 

Only thing that threw me was randomly dropping a No Doubt tune into one of the action scenes. I do wish it was more visually compelling too, but that’s largely a fault of the Marvel machine as a whole sadly.

I continue to find it an extraordinary achievement how they weave all these films and characters together. 

• Like 1

Keith the same thing happened with Black Panther. The same shit has started happening with a portion of comic and board gaming community as well.

Its sickening really that a group of white men are so taken aback that others can like the same things they do.