LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

Marvel added Danai Gurira to the poster after receiving flak for not including her first time even though Okoye is there.

I know that at this point the Avengers have interacted with various super powered beings and aliens.  But I really hope that during this movie, someone questions why there is a fucking walking-talking Raccoon at Avengers headquarters.  

Been thinking about music in all these movies again and how there have been so many missed opportunities. Of the Avengers films I definitely think Elfman and Brian Tyler's collaboration on Age of Ultron is the best, particularly Elfman's heroes theme which builds so nicely on Silvestri's Avengers theme. 

Shame we'll never hear that again due to lack of consistency.

Had really hoped when Silvestri came back on Infinity War that he would reference his Iron Man fanfare, which (of the four composers to have written different Iron Man music) is far and away the best, but I suspect it is another theme lost to time. 

25 second mark in this cue for the Iron Man piece:

And again, in a more triumphant rendition here (around 2mins 11s):

We didn't even hear his Cap theme in Infinity War (curious if we will in Endgame. I know there was a conscious desire by the Russo brothers to limit the use of even the main Avengers theme in Infinity War). I always appreciated that Jackman had the good grace to reference Silvestri's Cap theme in Winter Soldier. 

What comes to mind from Infinity War was:

-Avengers Music when Stark tells Peter he is an Avenger

-Obviously the opening title screen after Strange says "Who?"

-The drumming music when Stark calls for the new Spiderman suite

I never really think about music very much.  But only now as you bring it up again I realize how impactful it can be when Captain enters scene, to play his music, etc.  That seems like a good idea.  Though maybe too on the nose depending on how they do it.  I'm not sure I want to hear "Spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can" every time Spiderman is on camera.

From their (really good) Infinity War commentary, the Russo's do make note that they didn't want the Avengers theme much, I suspect because they want it to have more impact next time round which is perfectly reasonable since it's a triumphant theme and the heroes are not all that triumphant in the film. As such we hear it very rarely, with the most blatant reprise of it being when Cap and Black Widow show up in Scotland, and what we hear there is actually the A theme. Silvestri's main Avengers theme is built on two distinct melodies that can often be used together, or separately.

'B' theme (fanfare):

'A' theme:

Together:

We do get Goransson's Wakanda theme in Infinity War, but it's literally just a piece tracked in from Black Panther's score rather than Silvestri weaving it into an original piece himself (the audience reacted with excitement the moment you first hear the theme in IW when I saw the movie, even before it visually cut to Wakanda which I thought was great). Pinar Tropak works in the Avengers theme into an original cue at one point in Captain Marvel. Black Panther is the most thematically dense and sophisticated of all the Marvel movie scores by some distance. Lots of characters get their own distinct themes, then there's an ancestral theme, a Wakanda theme, a Dora Milaje theme. I absolutely love it.

'Avengers Assemble' logo there being from the UK soundtrack album, incidentally, as it has that alternate title of the first movie over here.

That would be awesome.  It was a black eye on an otherwise wonderful run Disney has had with the public relations for these movies.  I guess except for all this Captain Marvel nonsense.

I don't know about you, but I would love if, in the first scene of End Game, Captain Marvel growls at Thor for leaving the toilet seat up, screams girl power, and blows Thor into space.  That will earn End Game a 0% on Rotten tomatoes, but so what.

Wow, shocking, wonder if this will impact Suicide Squad 2 at all.

Good on them for making it right though.

Update: And never mind, he will apparently direct both.

Fuck yeah, glad he is back.

Ss is filming soon I believe. GoTG3 script was already finished, and had work being done so they can move more quickly. I always thought the film would have an Late 2021 , early 2022 release anyway. Getting all the ducks in a row for post End Game announcements.

Captain Marvel was decent fun. Not really a standout movie in the MCU in my opinion. It has some good moments and I really dug the relationship between Carol and her best friend/daughter. The movie felt a but rushed at times and disjointed at others. I understood what they were trying to do with the flashbacks after her early capture but it really screws with the pacing of the movie and it takes a good while to recover. 

The “No Doubt” moment felt hammy and out of place to me and there were too many “oh she’s definitely, finally about to go ultra powered” moments that when it finally arrives, it feels a bit flat.

Like I said, it’s good solid fun but squarely middle of the pack stuff, IMO. 

• Like 1

I loved it - we've known from her announcement that they're introducing her to the MCU because she's crazy-level powerful, so I went in expecting two hours of pixels punching each other. To find out we've got a remarkably small-scale, emotionally-led human drama was a complete delight.

During the "why do we fall, Master Bruce?" bit I practically punched The Patriarchy in the face.

• Like 2

I felt it echoed the first Captain America in a lot of ways in, as was the case with Steve, highlighting the humanity of Carol and who she is as a person first and foremost above placing emphasis on their physical prowess/powers. That was, and remains, the most delightful surprise for me with the first Cap film. Both Evans and Larson bring a similar degree of earnestness and nobility to each of their characters, and those are traits we've really never been able to enjoy in these movies outside of Reeve's defining performance as Clark/Superman.

• Like 2

That they do. Capt 1 has always been one of my favorite films, his entire trilogy really. Steve is the emotional core of the avengers, his story is a major part of everything that has happened.  I think as we move along Capt Marvel will grow on people more as well. 

5 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

That they do. Capt 1 has always been one of my favorite films, his entire trilogy really. Steve is the emotional core of the avengers, his story is a major part of everything that has happened.  I think as we move along Capt Marvel will grow on people more as well. 

I always enjoyed the first half of Captain America.  The Origin story part.  Once he started touring Europe and kicking ass it wasn't as interesting to me.  Similarly I really disliked the last 20% of Iron Man, Thor, and Iron Man 3.  I mention those movies because just because I don't like part of a movie doesn't mean I dislike the whole movie.  I tend to think that most movies fall apart in the last 20%.  The ones that don't are my favorites of course.  X-Men 3: The Last Stand for example.

• Haha 2