LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

5 hours ago, NickC said:

I believe it has to do with the film having scenes in Europe.

Interesting.  Title reminds me more of Tony Stark, who is light years away on Titan and has to come back somehow to Earth.  I cannot wait to see the fallout of Infinity War.  And we don't even know the Captain Marvel piece to the puzzle yet.

The Untitled Marvel movie releasing on July 30, 2021 has moved to Feb 12, 2021. The July 30th date will now be used for an untitled Disney Live Action film.

Here is what we know or can imply so far about what is coming

Captain Marvel 

Avengers IW Pt 2

Spider-man :Far From Home

Guardians 3

New Gods?- They have a script writer working at it already, and I expect it leads out of what happens in GotG3 as James Gunn is curating the cosmic side.

Doctor Strange 2?- One is coming, but have not heard anything about it. It will be 3 years.

Black Panther without a doubt in my mind

Black Widow has a script and they are starting the director hunt

??

The crazy thing is, that is not including any of the other already established characters. They may need to have a New Avengers franchise rotating every few years, because there are so many other characters left. or expand which would be nuts.

They must be going crazy right now.   X-Men, FF, Deadpool, etc. are back in the fold, right?  Or will be.  The fallout of whatever IW2 causes.  The likely retirement of Evans and RDJ from the franchise.  All while Black Panther and Spider-man, late-comers to the Avengers, feel like they're just starting.  They likely want to plan out the next 10 years leading toward some climatic ending like IW.   They've already done Thanos and Civil War.  But they have so many options of where to go, it must be a fun time for them planning out the future.

I would assume that Galactus is something they'll eventually want to do.   Although if they make him this giant planet eater, how does that even work.  His scale seems like a challenge.  What is Spider-man going to punch Galactus's mole?  Or maybe give him a clogged poor with his webbing?  

I was surprised when he got to do Guardians as it wasn't like his "edgy" crassness was a secret at the time (I distinctly remember a shitty blog post he got heat for years ago about ranking superheroes in the order people would have sex with them or something like that. but heck, just watch his older films to get a sense of how juvenile he could be). I'd come to like him more since he did the Guardians movies though as he seemed to have grown up and dropped the teenage dipshit attitude. How old were the tweets in question?

53 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Yeah, they were pretty bad.

Indeed and also years old. It's not like its a stunning revelation to Disney as Daniel mentioned. Nonetheless, when you're as image conscious as they are and considering the content of his tweets this is the only reasonable end point.

I dunno. Gunn's vulgar comments are indefensible, but I've not seen mention of precisely when he made them. I remember when I saw Super and how mean spirited I found it, and that's when I read up on him and around about when I discovered the outrage over some of his blog posts at the time. He seemed like a complete prick. It made me very wary of ever wanting to see Guardians, but I saw it, liked it and in interviews and social media in the last several years he seemed to have lost the chip on his shoulder and, again, ditched the edgy teen act and seemed grateful for where he's ended up. Has anything that's been dug up been dated to the period since he's been working for Disney? If so then, as an employee (and like Roseanne) it obviously makes sense to dismiss him. 

Right. Most recent I can see being shared around seems to be from 2012, and he also seemed to have made an apology for those and his blog posts that year (quite why he kept the tweets in his time line after that I've no idea however). You'd  have to assume Disney would have absolutely been aware of his attitude since that would have been around the time he'd have been in talks to do Guardians. I just don't know. Pathetic, downright vulgar and arguably creepy to keep repeating "jokes" on such subjects with regularity, but if there's nothing more to it than someone being a crass arsehole seven years ago prior to making an apology and prior to becoming an employee for the company that just fired him for this stuff then it perhaps seems like a knee jerk reaction from Disney, particularly when they gave Lasseter an extended holiday and allowed him to slip out the back door to an early retirement. 

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Right. Most recent I can see being shared around seems to be from 2012, and he also seemed to have made an apology for those and his blog posts that year (quite why he kept the tweets in his time line after that I've no idea however). You'd  have to assume Disney would have absolutely been aware of his attitude since that would have been around the time he'd have been in talks to do Guardians. I just don't know. Pathetic, downright vulgar and arguably creepy to keep repeating "jokes" on such subjects with regularity, but if there's nothing more to it than someone being a crass arsehole seven years ago prior to making an apology and prior to becoming an employee for the company that just fired him for this stuff then it perhaps seems like a knee jerk reaction from Disney, particularly when they gave Lasseter an extended holiday and allowed him to slip out the back door to an early retirement. 

I would imagine they consider him fairly replaceable for better or worse. Guardians as a franchise is sustainable without him.

Of course Disney was likely aware (just like Roseanne), they weren’t going to deal with an issue that could quickly get out of their control. The path of least resistance was taken and I don’t blame them even though it’s goid to see he was apologetic and had evolved from those “edgy” days. No matter the age, Disney execs aren’t going to be out there pushing a statute of limitations on pedophile and rape jokes.

• Like 1

I have a very high tolerance for inappropriate humor.   It bothers me that the distance between performing an act of pedophilia, and making a joke about pedophilia, as far as the contempt you might receive, isn't quite as far as it should be.  I'm not a big fan of fake public apologies, and there are so many of them so often today.  The process and theater seems ripe for a black mirror episode.  

Gunn is a far left guy who got brought down most likely by far right people bringing to light Gunn's past.  And it is ironic that Disney's fear of the left's outage machine is what took Gunn down at the hands of his enemies on the right.  I hate the whole game.

• Like 1

Lol Gunn is not far left. He is a registered Republican who is conservative on most issues. I have followed him on Twitter the last few years. 

Can’t say this is not a blow to things. He not only was working on Guardians 3, but also was working on Plans for the cosmic marvel movie stuff.

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

I would imagine they consider him fairly replaceable for better or worse. Guardians as a franchise is sustainable without him.

Of course Disney was likely aware (just like Roseanne), they weren’t going to deal with an issue that could quickly get out of their control. The path of least resistance was taken and I don’t blame them even though it’s goid to see he was apologetic and had evolved from those “edgy” days. No matter the age, Disney execs aren’t going to be out there pushing a statute of limitations on pedophile and rape jokes.

Certainly don’t disagree. If it was bubbling up into another Roseane-esque PR nightmare then I obviously understand their want to take action, but unless it’s an attitude he hasn’t in fact lost, and if he were unpleasant to work with, then it’s practically akin to calling them out for putting Eddie Murphy in several movies despite some of the truly horrible and cringe worthy material he churned out years earlier in Delirious (though granted, different management at the time so it’s harder to call the company out for double standards on that front, but again one could point the finger at them for their dismal handling of the Lasseter situation if wanting to find a recent example of an employee and representative’s damaging behaviour, and last I checked James Woods is still voicing Hades in recently produced interactive games you can play around the Magic Kingdom, and I'm fairly sure he's in Kingdom Hearts 3). 

I’m quite fascinated by the culture of public shaming. Jon Ronson wrote a great book on the subject. 

4 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Can’t say this is not a blow to things. He not only was working on Guardians 3, but also was working on Plans for the cosmic marvel movie stuff.

I’m sure they will keep his script. I’m curious to see who they might ask to direct though, and whether they’d bring a new filmmaker into the MCU or turn to someone they’ve already collaborated with. Perhaps Peyton Reed is an obvious possibility since he’d have a handle on the comedy and, of course, safely came in at short notice after Ant-Man lost its director.

It does seem odd that they’re shocked the writer of Tromeo & Juliet used to be in the outrage business, and if I see a single dog from the DC fanboys whose studio still puts Johnny Depp and Jared Leto in movies I may be indelicate with my reply. 

But i gather this is removing him as the director and public face of the film, not dropping his perfectly good script, so yes it’s a hasty PR move. 

Yeah he had already handed in the script, except for basic tweaks, it will probably be used.

I'm so in love with all of these marvel directors.  Everytime a new director comes in I'm always nervous that they're going to ruin everything.  I thought Thor 3 was going to be a disaster, but I love it.  I thought the Russos taking over the avengers was a bad idea, and I love IW.  Captain Marvel, who knows what the hell that will be.  It could be terrible.  But somehow Feige keeps bringing in the right people. So I'll assume he'll do it again 

But damn I tried to watch the Ang Lee Hulk movie.  Feige was in the credits as an executive producer I think.  It was unwatchable.  My daughter also could not watch it.  I didn't like Thor 2 very much, but the Ang Lee Hulk is the only unwatchable Feige movie in the list for me.  That is a crazy track record.  He'll bring in a good replacement.

8 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Lol Gunn is not far left. He is a registered Republican who is conservative on most issues. I have followed him on Twitter the last few years. 

He's left enough on issues publicly that the right had been trying to take him down.  Politics cut across many different issues.  And he pissed some people off.  Now on both sides.

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

But damn I tried to watch the Ang Lee Hulk movie.  Feige was in the credits as an executive producer I think.  It was unwatchable.  My daughter also could not watch it.  I didn't like Thor 2 very much, but the Ang Lee Hulk is the only unwatchable Feige movie in the list for me. 

giphy.gif

The ending is a mess but the rest of Ang Lee’s Hulk is pretty great.