LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Battlefield V

The next game in the Battlefield series will be titled: Battlefield V

Full reveal on May 23rd.

At least it's getting a single-player campaign; apparently Codblops 4 isn't.

• Like 2

Trailer

I guess this is WW II? I can't tell, not sure I like the overly arcade style presentation 

It is WWII, but not the regular locations supposedly.

I felt nothing for that trailer but then I felt nothing for the recent CoD WWII as well and that turned out pretty ok. 

• Like 1

It’s a lot of over the top action that, while kinda cool, pulls me out of the fact that this is supposed to be WW2, and a real war that was fought, and not something taking place in the future, or an action movie starring The Rock. Nor does it convey any sort of story. 

Battlefield 1 was really good but, I also waited to get it as a complete version with all DLC and a lower price. So, while I’m ok with Battlefield V, the WWII setting and the improved model (no paid maps, etc) I can also wait on this one - don’t need it realease day.

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

It’s a lot of over the top action that, while kinda cool, pulls me out of the fact that this is supposed to be WW2, and a real war that was fought, and not something taking place in the future, or an action movie starring The Rock. Nor does it convey any sort of story. 

Stopped watching that trailer before it finished. Michael Bay's Battlefield V.

It's possible that's an attempt at hype for multi-player where there's typically more creative license I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Stopped watching that trailer before it finished. Michael Bay's Battlefield V.

I did too, but then went back and finished to make sure my statement about story was correct..... it was. 

I’m waiting on this one personally. Will,buy it at some point but, too many other big releases I haven’t played yet.

Was going to pick this one up right away, but I hated the beta.  Might grab it down the road, but not close to release now.

Digital Foundry on the PC release:

Impressive and exciting stuff there. Shame we’re most likely at least two generations out from implementing ray tracing in consoles.

Since this came with my Xbox I’ve been spending some time with it. It’s perfectly... OK. Rough around the edges graphically, even on the X, with all kinds of glitches and sub par textures at times. I’m speaking for the campaign here as I have not tried any multiplayer yet. AI is generally sloppy. Enemies will zone in on you after revealing yourself, even if you move and hide most of the time, and enemy respawn points (again single player of all things) are frequently visible, often occurring right on top of you.

I wasn’t overly engaged with the missions until I did the French one which is rather good (the Norwegian missions were a let down and a missed opportunity all round really. Shame). The final part of the campaign is locked until Tuesday for some reason (unfinished at launch I assume? Didn’t they pull that stunt with Battlefront II as well?). With such little effort put into the campaign design one has to wonder if they should keep bothering. Their writing staff don’t really have the skill to deliver the emotional gravitas the game seems to think it has. I’d certainly be interested to see how COD WW2 fares by comparison, at least in the respect of it possibly being more consistently engaging. 

Felt DICE’s narrative reach truly exceeded their grasp with the Tiger campaign missions. In fact it encapsulates everything wrong with the campaign in general. For every attempt at trying to capture something real, something emotional, they miss the mark quite badly, embarrassingly so in some cases. Weird that the final chapter came with no achievements either. The French missions, putting you amongst soldiers drafted in from Senegal, is by far the most engaging in terms of concept and design. 

I’d like to try some multiplayer but I’ve got a problem. The game autodetects an email address, I’m assuming it culls it from my MS account (not sure I like that. If there is a way to deny the Xbox to share my personal information with publishers I’d like to know). It doesn’t offer any option to use a different email, instead forcing me to use the one it has pulled and asking me to create an EA Account. The thing is I actually have an EA account, one bound to Origin and my PS4, and I’ve tried to access that account via EA to change the email to the one Battlefield V wants me to use, but while I can log in via the website it will not accept the answer to my memorable data question to allow me to change anything and I have literally no clue how to get around that.