LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Magness

Movie & TV Streaming/Digital Download Discussion Thread (iTunes, VUDU...etc)

Curious to see if the Apple TV makes it into any Black Friday sales here next month. I occasionally browse what’s available on iTunes and, especially for the price, there are some titles that I don’t foresee getting a disc release anytime soon that I’d like (Tucker is available for example, as is Mel Brooks’ The Producers). Big is up in 4K too, no hdr, but only £3.99! There’s quite a bit of HD content for TV stuff that never got a Blu-Ray too. 

Is there a way to search every 4K title on iTunes as the 4K section only ever seems to list titles with HDR. Fox have quite a number of 4K with no HDR titles up (Home Alone, The Omen, The Sandlot...etc). Curiously the Bond films never went to 4K on iTunes in the U.K., save for Spectre.

Part of me would really like an AppleTV, as it’s so much more convenient for tv series and cheaper for films as well. 

But its a lot of money just because Apple won’t let their video work well on Windows. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is there a way to search every 4K title on iTunes as the 4K section only ever seems to list titles with HDR. Fox have quite a number of 4K with no HDR titles up (Home Alone, The Omen, The Sandlot...etc). Curiously the Bond films never went to 4K on iTunes in the U.K., save for Spectre.

Not that I know of. I usually see if a movie I own has been upgraded to 4k via the TV app which lets you look at the 4k films in your account. Yes Fox has a lot of films that are 4k only, and usually HDR is added when a disc release happens like Die Hard. Most of the Bond films are 4k non HDR as well here in the U.S., unless that changed since the last time I looked. There are some films that popped up with 4k that I was surprised about, but that is a good thing IMO. I wish Disney would just break already, especially since Google Video announced yesterday they are now upgrading films to 4k for free, and selling at $19.99 like Itunes is. Vudu needs to follow suit at this point.

• Like 1

Was thinking of grabbing The Meg today, since I have money in my Xbox account from an old gift card, but $29.99 for the digital UHD!?!!  What the hell do they think they have there?!  Hell, even the HD version is $19.99.  PASS!  

5 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

Was thinking of grabbing The Meg today, since I have money in my Xbox account from an old gift card, but $29.99 for the digital UHD!?!!  What the hell do they think they have there?!  Hell, even the HD version is $19.99.  PASS!  

It's the all new enhanced JAWS! What more do you need?

:)

20 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

It's the all new enhanced JAWS! What more do you need?

:)

I read that people said it was dumb fun, and I like dumb fun, but I do have a price threshold for dumb fun, and The Meg passed it.  JAWS on UHD?  I would definitely pay that price, but not Jason Statham and a CG shark.

Don’t know about US where MGM has the rights but Mel Brooks’ The Producers is in 4k/HDR on iTunes here in the UK where Studio Canal have the rights (they just recently did a Blu/ray here from the new restoration but they skipped a UHD release). 

Really close to caving on an AppleTV next week. Even if some of the titles I want on ATV get discs eventually the prices on iTunes are so damn cheap it barely matters. 

Lawrence of Arabia is 4k here too, though without HDR. I’ll likely be patient for the disc of that one however.

• Like 1

Yeah I wait for price drops. Especially since they have been putting titles on sale for $5-8. 

It's quite interesting how many Fox titles are 4k on iTunes (without HDR). I wish Apple's search engine wasn't so terrible as it's not easy finding a lot of that stuff. Home Alone, The Omen, the original Day the Earth Stood Still, Big, The Sandlot and Edward Scissorhands are amongst some of the ones I could find in the UK. 

Tucker from Lionsgate is also 4k/HDR on iTunes. We never got a disc of that when they did the Blu-ray. Hopefully they will do one. 

It's definitely a shame that Apple don't let you download the 4k stuff. If your internet goes down and you want to watch a movie you're out of luck. 

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's quite interesting how many Fox titles are 4k on iTunes (without HDR). I wish Apple's search engine wasn't so terrible as it's not easy finding a lot of that stuff. Home Alone, The Omen, the original Day the Earth Stood Still, Big, The Sandlot and Edward Scissorhands are amongst some of the ones I could find in the UK. 

Tucker from Lionsgate is also 4k/HDR on iTunes. We never got a disc of that when they did the Blu-ray. Hopefully they will do one. 

It's definitely a shame that Apple don't let you download the 4k stuff. If your internet goes down and you want to watch a movie you're out of luck. 

Yeah, but I still have a lot of discs I can always watch. I still pick up my favorite films, and keep sets of my favorite series on disc.

Maybe they will let people one day. 

Don't know how it is in the US but Warner don't offer either season of Westworld or s1 of Game of Thrones in 4k over here which is strange. There really is a lot of TV stuff, even just in 1080, on iTunes that never got a Blu-ray release - lots of British comedy from the past five years in particular. I definitely think having an ATV again would be of value to me at this point. When I last had one (pre-4k model) I never embraced it for iTunes content, just as a means to run Plex and some other TV streaming apps. 

As far as I know, no tv shows are 4k on iTunes or Vudu in the US which is a damn shame. Netflix and amazon prime originals are for the most part. Netflix also has a few shows like Blacklist in 4k as well.

I have been buying movies on iTunes for a long time. I laugh when I can’t decide what to watch.

The only time I watched an iTunes movie was when I rented Rogue One as my brother had not seen it. I no longer had my old Apple TV at that point, so ran it off the Macbook Pro over HDMI into the TV. I thought it looked terrible. I'm less concerned about 4k content given the more efficient codec, but I'm still a bit wary of anything 1080/mpeg4, at least movies, and there are some movies in HD on iTunes, even quite recent ones, that I'd like that never got a Blu-ray (Mia Hansen Love's 'Eden' being a notable example). It's a shame we'll probably never see HD stuff re-encoded for h.265 as I think that could match Blu-ray almost 1:1 visually. 

I did buy HBO's Angels in America on iTunes as well as that never had a Blu either (it's ludicrous that hasn't had a Blu-ray release). I've only watched it on my laptop so no idea how it will look on the TV. Hopefully fine.

I'm happier knowing the 4k ATVs will output 24fps finally. That was a major reason I ditched my older model.

• Like 1

Does the store on ATV at least make it any easier to find non HDR 4k purchases? If you ask Siri to show you 4k titles will it show everything beyond HDR titles?

Have found Jerry Maguire, Taxi driver and Glory on itunes in SDR 4k (all Sony). There are surley many more. It’s a mystery and a shame that none of the Bond films are 4k in the UK as I know they are in the US (Spectre being the only one here).

@Magness Do you run both UK and US accounts on iTunes by any chance?

I wish the store had a way to search for all 4k , HDR, Etc. I use the TV app to see what stuff in my collection is 4k as it has that as an option.

Maddening stuff. Even if I type 4k into iTunes it only gives me two dozen or so results, mostly hdr titles and not even close to all the titles they have listed in their dedicated hdr section (and even that only shows 200 “best sellers” titles when there are loads more with hdr). Funnily enough doing that search revealed Skyfall to be another 4k title though, so that’s two Bond titles for the UK at least.

It’s a crying shame movies anywhere does not exist in the UK. I sell off my useless ultraviolet codes where possible, but it’d be great to be able to redeem everything I got on disc via iTunes as well to have a portable streaming backup. 

Yes movies anywhere is great, and with MS back in the fold even better. Would be nice if it worked with tv shows also.

This looks to be a pretty comprehensive list of iTunes titles for the US:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505495519

It’s missing some recent stuff like It’s a Wonderful Life but it’s not too dated. Best I have found yet anyway.

Curious to note titles like Say Anything and Princess Bride which share the same distributors in both US and U.K. (Fox and MGM respectively) but are not available in 4K over here. Similar situation to the Bond films again. In fact Say Anything is not on iTunes in any form in the UK. Sacrilege! Shout Factory have an upcoming When Harry Met Sally Blu-Ray from a new 4K master and I was thinking it’d be wonderful if MGM threw that up in native 4K on iTunes. 

Fox have Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in 4k on US iTunes but not UK which is frustrating. Long shot but I am holding out hope for an anniversary UHD disc of it next year. 

Really interesting that Paramount have also thrown a 4K Dolby Vision release of the 1950s War of the Worlds onto iTunes (US and UK). Like It’s a Wonderful Life it’s obviously another one they have no confidence in putting onto disc. Makes me wonder what other titles from deeper in their catalogue might surface in 2019. 

Hey Dan - I do use my US and U.K. iTunes accounts on my ATV. For 4K movies I definitely favour the US account as it’s not only less expensive (most of the time) but has a wider selection as you noted. I have about 200 US movies and 40 or so U.K. movies now in iTunes between them and just use PayPal for both with a US and U.K. address respectively. Everything I buy I also drop into Plex so that I do have an offline copy as well but, as you pointed out earlier this leads to quite a bit of storage required (I’m sitting at 20TB currently).

• Like 1

Well now I have questions. 😀 Will PM you.

Found a useful app called CheapCharts which will send me alerts on price drops for titles of interest on iTunes. Also shows lowest prices titles have been previously which is useful. You can change regions to see deals in various countries via the settings too.

2 hours ago, Magness said:

Hey Dan - I do use my US and U.K. iTunes accounts on my ATV. For 4K movies I definitely favour the US account as it’s not only less expensive (most of the time) but has a wider selection as you noted. I have about 200 US movies and 40 or so U.K. movies now in iTunes between them and just use PayPal for both with a US and U.K. address respectively. Everything I buy I also drop into Plex so that I do have an offline copy as well but, as you pointed out earlier this leads to quite a bit of storage required (I’m sitting at 20TB currently).

I would need a lot more storage 😃

• Like 1