LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Magness

Movie & TV Streaming/Digital Download Discussion Thread (iTunes, VUDU...etc)

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

All the Die Hard sequels (save for With A Vengeance which is Disney owned in the UK) are now showing as 4k/HDR on iTunes here. Can anyone with the HD purchases confirm an upgrade? With a Vengeance would surely be on the US store with then others if this is accurate.

Would hopefully be the strongest indication yet of disc releases in the US next year.

I own the first four. Not sure if I can confirm without a new Apple TV. I can tell the artwork has changed, but it just shows up as "HD" on the Mac version of iTunes.

Edit: Actually looking at the store page (not in library), it does have the 4k icon, and the only option I have is Play or Download (no purchase buttons).

The Die Hard sequels are definitely 4k/HDR in the U.K. according to those who have them (again, With a Vengeance being the exception as Fox don’t hold the U.K. rights). Really hope this leads to discs next year as I’m itching for 2 and 3. 

They all are on my account (well except for the last one which I do not own, but iTunes says it is,) Have not checked if anything else has been upgraded yet.

A few DC animated films from the last few years are now 4k HDR. Also the film Warrior is, unless I missed it before (the MMA film with Hardy and Eddington).

Got the ATV!

Need to make sure my TV’s input settings match those of my Oppo player, but so far everything looks good. Hard to make a decent evaluation in daytime but the HD and 4K stuff from iTunes looks very pleasing. 

No 4k on YouTube due to whatever feud Apple and Google are having is stupid. I know Apple don’t want to support VP9 for YouTube HDR, but my LG TV can’t support that either but still delivers 4K SDR for YouTube. The ATV doesn’t seem to support HLG either as Dynasties on BBC iPlayer is only playing back in 4K but not Hybrid Log Gamma HDR like on the LG iPlayer app. Hope Apple patch in support in future. Still looks beautiful though.

• Like 3

So I’m impressed with the compression quality, but my first choice of movie was a poor one. I bought Gods and Monsters, which still has no Blu-ray release, only to realise it is not in the correct aspect ratio. It’s 16:9 instead of 2.39:1. On the UK store the film was submitted by Lionsgate, so this error is on them.

On the US store, where Universal are rights holders, there’s hopefully a better chance of an accurate presentation (the US listing also seems to include the old DVD extras).

It’s baffling that Apple does not declare the aspect ratio of content in their store. It’s vitally important so we can make informed decisions before buying something only to find it’s inaccurate.

Not sure what success I will have but I will submit a refund request to Apple. In the meantime, aside from hoping Arrow Academy or Criterion might still someday bring it to disc, I will look into how to set up a US account and try my luck buying it from there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Magness said:

Let me know if you need a US iTunes gift card or anything as a payment source to start.

Where’s the best place to get those? I’m assuming I still need to declare a US address. What’s the best way to fabricate one when creating an account? 

Gods and Monsters is $7.99 in the US right now. According to CheapCharts its lowest was 5.99 back in February so maybe it will drop soon if there’s a Dec sale. Having just watched the film it doesn’t make much sense to rush and buy it on the US store until it gets cheaper.

I was using cdkeys or eBay for US iTunes cards before but, once PayPal was setup I haven’t needed to since. As far as getting an address to use, I have an address in TX and CO setup but, taxes are different everywhere. One of the other guys here can probably make a recommendation to cut down on tax on purchases but, once you have a state then it’s just Google Maps to get a house number and zip code 😊 There wasn't any address verification in iTunes so that should be it once you have a gift card for payment source. The only address verification was for linking a bank account in PayPal and that worked easily enough by just creating a second PayPal account in the US with the same US address - which I add d to my bank account as a secondary address. 

Might be be a little much to go through PayPal and iTunes multi-region account setup all at once but, a gift card will get you started (DM sent)

• Like 1

Saving a bit on taxes is tempting, but the few times I've needed a fake US address I've gone with my brother in law's one in NYC, just in case anyone feels the need to send something there. You've got US relatives, haven't you D? Just a thought.

5 hours ago, iainl said:

You've got US relatives, haven't you D? Just a thought.

I haven’t actually. Well, I do but not any I actually know. I’ll research options tomorrow. I may still have an address set up by a forwarding company when I used to use the US Playstation store.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Apple got back to me in less than four hours of my filing a request and are issuing me a full refund for Gods and Monsters. Certainly impressive customer care.

Yeah they are very good at that stuff. 

They did also say they would follow it up with the distributor but whether anything comes of that I don’t know. I am still willing to bet the version from Universal in the US is accurate. I should research to see if the old UK DVD had the wrong ratio 20yrs ago too. You see boom microphones drop into shot several times which would be matted out in the 2.39:1 presentation. 

I wonder who at Apple I can write to about how important it is for them to start listing details like aspect ratios in iTunes.

It was interesting to read that the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Returns 4k on iTunes used to retain the switching aspect ratios only for there to be so many complaints that Warner replaced them with a fixed 2.39:1 master. I wonder if the Same will happen with Fallout (over time I have come to personally feel that the ratio switches at home make little sense). Either way that’s info Apple could declare in listings to potentially save themselves a lot of hassle.

Looking at Amazon UK's G&M listings, the show the original DVD as 1.77:1 and even a 2014 re-release as 1.78:1 so it looks like it's always been broken here.

I'd heard that the Nolans were fixed to scope on iTunes, but not that they used to be correct - seems ridiculous to do that, but then the standard-def DVDs were a fixed 2.39:1 as well.

Nolan's argument was Blu-ray only for the switching ratios, then UHD and 4k streaming. So the 1080p streams/downloads were always the fixed ratio versions. 

I'm firmly in the Brad Bird camp of "I'm really not sure it makes sense at home" when he called the shots on the home releases of Ghost Protocol. Rather wish McQuarrie had viewed Fallout similarly. 

The ratio switching worked really well for me at home on both Dark Knight films - to the extent that the Joker one felt disappointing on DVD, but I liked it a lot more on the Blu. Wish they'd at least made the Burj scene at 1.77:1 an extra.

What I always wished for was for studios to use seamless branching on disc to offer both. On iTunes they could just have a fixed ratio and separate 'IMAX version" listing. All these IMAX films are literally just photographed with dead space though, so at least projector and video processor owners can matte the image back to 2.39:1 to replicate the fixed ratio version accurately.  

• Like 1

"Dead space" is the theory, but in practice there are plenty of examples where I find the scope crop really tight. I guess the real answer is to leave it to the director - none of those examples are in Ghost Protocol, after all.

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

They did also say they would follow it up with the distributor but whether anything comes of that I don’t know. I am still willing to bet the version from Universal in the US is accurate. I should research to see if the old UK DVD had the wrong ratio 20yrs ago too. You see boom microphones drop into shot several times which would be matted out in the 2.39:1 presentation. 

I wonder who at Apple I can write to about how important it is for them to start listing details like aspect ratios in iTunes.

Ask them if they can fix Drive too 😁 I just checked and it's still f'd.

At the time, I remember trying to figure out who I could contact on it to see if they'd do a new encode, and I'm pretty sure I messaged support or someone and got nowhere with it. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is that the wrong AR as well? Who’s listed as distributor on iTunes US? Sony did the disc. 

It is open matte. I was trying to find a screenshot comparison I took showing how the composition was ruined but can’t find it at the moment. 

Looks like Columbia and MGM on the iTunes listing. Also, this is not a 4K release, just one I always remembered and really part of the reason I stopped buying stuff on there as much.

Best bet is to probably try to contact Sony. I’m trying to find the best contact email for Fox’s U.K. division to ask why Butch Cassidy is not in 4K here and why Say Anything isn’t available on iTunes in any form, let alone the 4K of its US listing.

Dificult to tell whether studios openly see digital platforms as one for the lowest common denominator. No reason why they should, but...

Though I’d sooner get the disc that’s available I was looking at reviews on the 1940’s Miracle on 34th Street on iTunes as if the bundle containing that and the remake drops to 4.99 in the next week (as it apparently did four weeks ago) I’d probably grab it. Someone remarked how great the movie was but that it was a pity it wasn’t in colour.... 😔