LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Assassin's Creed Odyssey leaked

Yea I liked Origins so let’s hope this one is as good or better. I like the idea of the Greece setting so, let’s hope it avoids the curse of “even year” AC games...

When is the last time an Assassin ‘s Creed game didn’t leak? Lol. 

I really like Origins, it’s the most I have played of this series since Brotherhood. if they continue with that moving it even closer to a Witcher 3 style of play, I’ll be there. 

The only thing i dont like is they quickly went back on the every other year schedule they were talking up before Origins came out.

26 minutes ago, Paul said:

When is the last time an Assassin ‘s Creed game didn’t leak? Lol. 

Oh, they all leak. This is just a weird way for this one to leak. 

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

Oh, they all leak. This is just a weird way for this one to leak. 

Well, it’s high time the obligatory leaks got more creative, though I am not sure how new the information is as I’d heard about it a while back (the Easy Allies gang had been talking about it being Greece in the podcast for some time now). 

It’s an RPG where you have to grind to level up. I know, we’ve never had a game like that before.(insert sarcasm) From comments I have seen of people that have played the game, it doesn’t really sound much different then Origins. This just seems like clickbait. 

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

It’s an RPG where you have to grind to level up. I know, we’ve never had a game like that before.(insert sarcasm) From comments I have seen of people that have played the game, it doesn’t really sound much different then Origins. This just seems like clickbait. 

The base commentary is spot on as far as I'm concerned. The design of your game is based around telling people to spend $10 to play less of it and "save time" (the tab is even called "Time Saver"). I think that's a completely salient point to make. I'll give you that Jim loves to beat this horse dead,  but it doesn't mean that the microtransactions and their implementation here isn't pretty fucking icky and that's across the board for more games than just Odyssey. It utterly infected and destroyed games like Shadow of Mordor and Battlefront II as an example and continues to be a prevalent and worthwhile issue to discuss.

The store is shit. Ubi deserves crap for that. But to say they artificially inflated the grind to sell you the time savers seems a bit disingenuous. It’s an RPG. 

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

The store is shit. Ubi deserves crap for that. But to say they artificially inflated the grind to sell you the time savers seems a bit disingenuous. It’s an RPG. 

Not all RPG's feature grinding as a base mechanic? I mean you keep saying it's an RPG like that's inherent to the genre but let's not confuse side quests and having a leveling system to mean you need to "grind" activities to progress through the main story. We aren't in the era of Final Fantasy 8 here. Modern RPG's, especially western RPG's have gone through pains over the years to make their games more accessible, not less. Many well designed RPG's in the modern era provide enough experience throughout their main mission quests to ensure that players can progress through their storylines without having to indulge in needless XP grinds or even much in the way of side activities. Those things are there and available for added gear, monies and BOOSTING how quickly you level but are optional. There are plenty that don't put artificial barriers to progress in place.  I'm not saying that Odyssey does as I haven't played it so I can't refute Jim's claim one way or another but I think its disingenuous to say that the addition of microtransactions in the way they appear in Odyssey didn't have some effect on the development/design of the game either. The Ubisofts, Activisions and EA's of the world simply don't deserve that benefit of the doubt at this point given past behavior.

It was called the exact same thing in Origins and that game did not require any grinding and had a similar style to Odyssey as is my understanding.

Sure, you can save the time, or you can play the game. I never felt like Origins was gating anything in order to make me cough up money, which is much different from what I understand the situation to be in Mordor.

Just my two cents having seen the previous game :).

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

It was called the exact same thing in Origins and that game did not require any grinding and had a similar style to Odyssey as is my understanding.

Sure, you can save the time, or you can play the game. I never felt like Origins was gating anything in order to make me cough up money, which is much different from what I understand the situation to be in Mordor.

Just my two cents having seen the previous game :).

That's fair enough as far as Origins. I haven't played either nor do I intend to for reasons other than the store shit. The situation for Mordor was more extreme but similar (buy your way out of a grind). They just happened to put a bulk of it in one chapter that left the games real ending behind a pay wall.

I don't buy seasons passes. I rarely if ever buy DLC. I haven't opened one of the stores in these games nor do I really remember the last game I played that even had one, aside from Mordor. I've never been one for campaigning against gamer choice but I think the dialogue against these practices is important. I think the market will also sort it out as has been proven by the reaction to Battlefront II and Mordor but I'm not going to agree that people like Sterling that constantly hammer this point are doing anyone a disservice. Lord knows I've disagreed with him on his impressions of games in the past but the more voices we have taking these practices to task, the better IMO.

This is Origins with a new lick of paint and I freaking love it. Kassandra is a great protagonist so far, really like her. Equipment and gear lifted wholesale from the last game but now with gorgeous Greek scenery.

Actual choice in quests stolen from Witcher, a nemesis system for mercenaries (which were fun enough last game) that cribs from Shadows of Mordor. Riddles to solve, etc.

And I haven’t found the sailing yet but apparently that was stolen too... from Black Flag, so already awesome.

All this and Zeus’ cock and balls to climb to reach a synch point. It’s been a real pleasure for the first hour and a half and I am super excited to get further into it.

I wish they’d revisit some of the older games and put these systems in - it’s really taken the series in a great new direction.

• Like 1

Ah, whoops. I just had my first taste of how your choices matter and ye olde unexpected consequences.

An act of kindness early on ended up causing widespread chaos :P. I’m not good as this protagonist thing...

My desire to finish this before hell freezes over is currently at odds with my desire to explore every ? on the map. This game is insanely overstuffed with content.

I’m 10 hours in and it’s been super fun. And hard. No shield means a lot of dodge and parry and I have died more in this one than any other AC game. Which is good; the old ones were a total dawdle.

I can’t praise the Mercenary system enough. Climbing the ladder to be the best in Greece and having the mercs hunting you as part of the wanted system is awesome. Some perks along with it, nothing game breaking, make it all the more useful.

Overwhelming, but very fun.

• Like 2

Oh, I just opened up an entirely new subscreen based on something from Origins but expanded and made cooler.

The plot is now officially on the go at... 15 hours in... and it’s pretty slick! I love how they’ve improved on the Origins assassinations here and incorporated Greek mythology into the design.

This game is too stupid long, but it isn’t boring. I’m just annoyed it’s gonna be a couple months getting through it.

34 hours now and I just had one of the funniest quest chains in ages in any game. Isle where the Minotaur is rumoured to be... well... yeah... it’s a freaking tourist trap in Ancient Greece and it has some sharp as shit dialogue and even some meta-humour about RPG quests in general.

And it’s not just one quest, there are a couple in that vein. Between stuff like this and the cultist hunting I am having a great time with this one. XP is also very plentiful - there is no need to spend a cent in the store, to dredge up that old conversation.

Really fun way to spend gaming time.

On sale as of tonight on Xbox for $24, and I believe $33 gets you the season pass also, which includes the remaster of AC III, which is out next month.

Hmm, looks like $42.90 CAD for the version that comes with the season pass.  10 bucks less without the SP stuff, 5 more if you want the boost packs.  Worth a pickup?  I liked Origins a lot, but kind of fell off of it hard once I hit the level cap and finished the game.  If this is more of the "witcher-lite" that Origins was with some decent story beats, then it might be worth grabbing.

**Edit-just went back and checked out Mark's impressions.  Sounds like it's worthwhile-let's give it a shot.  One more for the backlog!

• Like 1

Definitely worth it if you liked Origins. I think it’s more Mass Effect lite. New daily quests, constant updates, and they are raising the level cap to 99 with the newest update. Don’t waste your money on the booster packs. Like Mark said, plenty enough experience if you do other things besides just the main story. I suppose my one complaint, there’s too much for someone that can be very OCD about trying to do everything in these type of games.

• Like 1