LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Tetris Effect [PS4/PS VR] from Tetsuya Mizuguchi/Enhance - November 9th, 2018 Release Date

OK, I spent some more time this morning playing and it's just glorious. I was particularly taken the DaVinci level which doesn't even have music, but instead has a creaky, windswept soundtrack with floating windmills sailing past you. Another fave is a desert theme, you start floating above a caravan of camels and nomads. I took a moment to look around and, sure enough, the theme surrounds you in VR, you can see dunes in every direction. Then at the moment the music transitions, your viewpoint zooms up higher over the dunes. Then at the next music transition, the dunes transform into a moonscape with the earth hovering over the horizon and the classic moon buggy roaming around the surface.

And a few of the other skins start out kind of ordinary, but by the end, surprise with some really cool effects. Looking forward to unlocking more skins.

• Like 1

Amazon finally failed me on a release day and it was this. It won’t arrive from them until the 14th so I canceled my order and picked it up from a local ma and pa game store I go to for retro games.

• Like 1

Absolutely stellar DF Retro on the history of Tetris and Tetris Effect.

https://youtu.be/jBeXzIGGoGQ

I spent most of the day with the game and it’s a damned masterpiece. I made it to area 3 after zoning out and getting on an epic run and then I spent time tackling challenges in the effects mode. Sooooo good. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Absolutely stellar DF Retro on the history of Tetris and Tetris Effect.

https://youtu.be/jBeXzIGGoGQ

I watched this today. It was good. I’m glad John mentioned The New Tetris for N64 in the retrospective. I remember renting it back in college and playing the multiplayer with a few other guys in my dorm. We played for several hours, and after the game was over, all of our eyes were all dry and irritated from staring at the TV for so long without blinking. It was awesome!

I also remember Tetris Worlds on Xbox a bit more fondly than John apprently. My only gripe about that game was that the people playing it on Xbox Live were light years better at it than I was and destroyed me as a result.

Tetris Party for Wii was probably the last Tetris I really spent any time with. I kind of wish he had talked about that one for a bit, just because I’m curiuos of how it stacks up with the other games he looked at.

As far as Tetris Effect goes, John does a good job at selling the game to me. I’m always up for a good Tetris, and by all accounts, this fits the bill. It’s going on my Wish List for the holiday season.

I wonder whether the want to push the VR factor is what’s making it PS4 exclusive. Hopefully that will change in time and we see it on XB1 and, what I really want, Switch (I thought it had a PC release but seems I was mistaken). Disappointing to hear it has no 4K option on the Pro. 

Thumbs up to that DF Retro episode. It’s great. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder whether the want to push the VR factor is what’s making it PS4 exclusive. Hopefully that will change in time and we see it on XB1 and, what I really want, Switch (I thought it had a PC release but seems I was mistaken). Disappointing to hear it has no 4K option on the Pro. 

Thumbs up to that DF Retro episode. It’s great. 

The info in the video is incorrect in terms of the resolution. John corrected it on Twitter and stated it runs at 1500p with HDR off. No clue why HDR has any effect but I would imagine a patch is forthcoming.

As to its exclusivity, yes I would imagine the VR factor is a big reason. Rez Infinite not being available on non-VR capable platforms would seem to say a lot there. Considering Mizuguchi’s obsession with “synesthesia” and the doors that VR opens for him to him to get closer to attaining that marriage of sight, sound, touch - it makes sense why hus preferred method of playing both is on VR.

I haven’t had the time to play Tetris in VR just yet (though I plan to this week) but Rez Infinite remains one if my favorite VR experiences.

On the want for a Switch version.....to each their own. This is an audio/visual tour de force designed to be played in VR or at least begging to be played on a quality big display and sound system. It would lose something on the way down to a portable experience. Maybe I’m wrong? Probably, but it makes more sense on the X at 4K sans VR than the Switch to me. 

Oh and this skin was playable and in the effects mode this weekend. It’s gone now but unlocks permanently at level 50.

I was smiling like a 10 year old.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

On the want for a Switch version.....to each their own. This is an audio/visual tour de force designed to be played in VR or at least begging to be played on a quality big display and sound system. It would lose something on the way down to a portable experience. Maybe I’m wrong? Probably, but it makes more sense on the X at 4K sans VR than the Switch to me. 

I get that, of course, but beyond its atmospheric ingenuity, and from a purely gameplay perspective, it still plays like a brilliant take on Tetris. That fact alone would make it most welcome on Switch, and it’s why I still found the demo to be incredibly engaging in 2D on my TV (and without any kind of sound system).

So yes, while there may well be definitive ways to play, in the long term it would be a pity to deny other platforms what is arguably the best contemporary re-think of Tetris’ gameplay mechanics, and the opportunity to plug in a good set of headphones and get lost in this game on a handheld, be it on the go or tucked up in bed, would be most welcome.Throw some of that funky rumble Mizuguchi was proud of with Lumines for Switch and you’d still have a winning game. :) 

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

The info in the video is incorrect in terms of the resolution. John corrected it on Twitter and stated it runs at 1500p with HDR off. No clue why HDR has any effect but I would imagine a patch is forthcoming.

As to its exclusivity, yes I would imagine the VR factor is a big reason. Rez Infinite not being available on non-VR capable platforms would seem to say a lot there. Considering Mizuguchi’s obsession with “synesthesia” and the doors that VR opens for him to him to get closer to attaining that marriage of sight, sound, touch - it makes sense why hus preferred method of playing both is on VR.

I haven’t had the time to play Tetris in VR just yet (though I plan to this week) but Rez Infinite remains one if my favorite VR experiences.

It's sooooo good in VR.  It's at the same time easier to focus on the board, and way more immersive.  I love it.  I feel like one of these days I may just put the headset on, turn on theater mode, and just relax, completely blocking out the world.  

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

Oh and this skin was playable and in the effects mode this weekend. It’s gone now but unlocks permanently at level 50.

I was smiling like a 10 year old.

I knew it was hiding in the game somewhere... There's some copyright mention of the theme when the game boots up.

• Like 3

That DF video is interesting. I'm pretty sure the very first version of Tetris I ever played was on a C64, which was probably a Spectrum Holobyte game. I was surprised to see Welltris come up in the video as I played that quite a bit on Windows 3. I remember being very confused by it for some time, but in those days, I had so few gaming options that I stuck with it and eventually got pretty good at it. These days, I'd probably just give up because of how hard it was to wrap my head around.

Then the Gameboy came out and that is still my defining Tetris experience (although I'm certain Tetris Effect will take over that spot).

In somewhat related news, I would LOVE to see a new version of Lumines in VR. It almost seems obvious at this point that it should happen.

I’d love a Child of Eden revisit. It’s the red headed step child of Miz games and for the life of me I don’t understand why. It’s superb.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I’d love a Child of Eden revisit. It’s the red headed step child of Miz games and for the life of me I don’t understand why. It’s superb.

Oh man, I forgot about that game since that was the last generation of consoles I missed completely. I only played it on a friends 360. But that's good call, it does seem primed for a VR release.

Funnily enough Child of Eden being on Xbox backwards compatibility is one of the main titles tempting me to buy an X. I never played it as much as another 360 began to fail me around the time of its release and it wasn't long after that when I parted ways with Xbox. 

4 hours ago, Kyle-K said:

It's sooooo good in VR.  It's at the same time easier to focus on the board, and way more immersive.  I love it.  I feel like one of these days I may just put the headset on, turn on theater mode, and just relax, completely blocking out the world. 

Because this game requires no head turning to speak of, I've donned my heavier, but much better sounding NAD headphones to play. At first it feels rather confining to have all this gear on, but once the game starts it's the opposite, the sensory world expands...and after playing for a while I lose track of my body position.

psvr.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainl said:

I’m a very shallow man. My issue with Child of Eden was purely that the music wasn’t as good. 

giphy.gif 

All kidding aside, there’s no doubt Rez has a stronger soundtrack but I like Child of Eden’s music for totally different reasons. It’s meant to be a bit more serene/evocative to fit the story. Gameplay wise it’s every bit as good and the level design is excellent.

Disclaimer: "As good as Rez" is an unfairly high bar at the best of times, and I'm not a massive fan of that particular brand of Trance.

No game has exposed the cognitive difference between morning-me and evening-me more than Tetris. I play when I get home from work and it's pathetic, I lose games within minutes of starting...but morning me (with caffeine, of course) can just 'see' the board with so much more clarity, the right move is way more apparent, more immediately. This isn't the only game that has made this difference clear, Lumines was similar...it's just strikingly different with Tetris. I might as well not even play in the evening if I'm trying to score well.

• Like 4

Public Service Announcement: Tetris Effect is currently on sale this weekend on the PS Store for $29.99 (regularly $39.99).

Tetris Effect on PS Store

I bought it myself and played a bit tonight. It’s... very trippy. Looks cool and has some pretty great music.

• Like 4