LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Tetris Effect [PS4/PS VR] from Tetsuya Mizuguchi/Enhance - November 9th, 2018 Release Date

1 Hour on Giant Bomb with Mark MacDonald and Tetsuya Mizuguchi. I’ve Watch half and Mizuguchi is not involved at all (yet). Game looks pretty nice and there are a lot of different modes and game types in it to keep us busy. 

• Like 1

I downloaded the Tetris Effect demo from the Japanese store. The game is completely in English, so if anyone wants to try this tonight before it hits their part of the world, it's pretty easy to do.

Played through the Journey mode's 3 levels, the Mystery Mode, and Marathon mode in 2D (I was watching a hockey game in the background and didn't want to put on the headset yet) and then the Journey mode in VR.

It's pretty cool. There are some really neat effects, the way the music and sounds interact with the game is very much in keeping with Rez and Lumines and I really liked it. I think the Journey Mode, and all the different other Effect and Relax modes in the game will help to keep a bit more longevity.

For those that haven't seen it, Mystery Mode is an fun twist on Tetris that throws in random things to help and hurt you (mostly hurt) these include giant Tetris pieces, putting the whole game upside down with inverse controls, flipping the board, various ones that remove blocks and create holes, etc. It's a lot of fun an adds some variety to a standard game of Tetris. I can't wait to try some of the other modes they have.

There seems to be much more here than just "Tetris with some particle effects" that some naysayers like to think it is, but unfortunately I don't really think there's enough in the demo to convince those people of that, but I feel sorry for them.

Playing the game in 2D, yes I think I could maybe see that (although there is a lot more to this game than most Tetris games), but in VR, well it's just a completely different experience. I can just really see myself getting lost in it for awhile. Just like Thumper, this seems like a great game to just be immersed. It's not the pinnacle of VR, but it is very cool.

• Like 2

Downloaded it on the Canadian site.  Very cool!  Will definitely pick the full game up.  Specially since it's on sale.  Will have to try it with VR tomorrow.

There’s an adventurous ritual event happening in the demo this weekend. Just did an insane Mystery play mode where it throws all sorts of crazy new elements into the mix of the traditional gameplay. Anyone playing contributes to an overall community high score to presumably unlock another event, and you get rewarded with game avatars for contributing. 

• Like 1

Have played a few runs, only in VR thus far, and it's a delight. The music, the visuals all contribute to the experience of playing, elevating Tetris into something bigger and better than Tetris.

One thing that really gets me is how the game appears to me to be evaluating how well you are doing, bringing swells in the music up before you score a Tetris, for example. And if I'm not mistaken, the music also gets more tense (maybe faster?) when the board is filling up with pieces. Although, It's possible that my brain is just reading into the synaesthetics of the game more than is warranted.

I do find the resolution of VR a little bothersome when focusing on the pieces, etc. I'll have to try it in 2D to see how it compares.

Well in the harsh, cold light of the morning, I think my sense that the game is anticipating how well you are doing was just my overactive imagination. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I do find the resolution of VR a little bothersome when focusing on the pieces, etc. I'll have to try it in 2D to see how it compares.

There have been quite a few people on reddit complaining about the game being blurry in VR. I don’t really notice it being any worse than any other PSVR game though so I’m not sure if there is something going on with the game that some people are seeing and others aren’t, or if I’m just not being picky. 

I find myself trapped between so desperately wanting to hear and see more music/stages and not being good enough to progress far enough.:) I’ve never been a great Tetris player but this game may spur me to spend some real time to “git gud” as it were. It’s just lovely.

The random effects it threw at players during the community challenge yesterday were mind meltingly insane. I had everything from the viewpoint zooming by 10x, bomb blocks that exploded leaving broken holes in your stacks if you didn’t diffuse them in time, gigantic shapes falling into a regular sized playing zone, broken blocks and more weirdness.

The craziest of all were the times it decided to turn the image upside down (incoming blocks now travel upwards towards your stack hanging down at the top) which also automatically meant the controls were reversed. All these gameplay variations would occur in a single game, each one lasting a couple of minutes interjecting traditional play. Brilliantly maddening stuff. 

The Jellyfish Chorus was my favourite level as musically it reminded me somewhat of a Steve Reich piece (and the Kangaru cue from the score to Arrival). 

21 hours ago, Graeme said:

There have been quite a few people on reddit complaining about the game being blurry in VR. I don’t really notice it being any worse than any other PSVR game though so I’m not sure if there is something going on with the game that some people are seeing and others aren’t, or if I’m just not being picky. 

Yeah, I don't think it's any worse. But I think the nature of the game, where you are constantly evaluating smallish, sharp-edged, 90-degree shapes, sort of plays to the weaknesses of VR right now. I should add that I've gotten used to the look in VR. And after playing more in both VR and 2D, I definitely prefer VR even with the resolution, it's just more exciting to feel like you're in the world.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The Jellyfish Chorus was my favourite level as musically it reminded me somewhat of a Steve Reich piece (and the Kangaru cue from the score to Arrival). 

I think that’s my second fave after “Deep” - love the ambient vibe even without the vocals.