LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Mesh Network Discussion

I was going to get Eero, but picked up the Linksys Velop over the weekend.  I am very disappointed with the Velop. WiFi strength really sucks, and devices like to connect to further nodes. Used to get decent WiFi in our yard from my last router which was at the front of the house. Now it’s not existent, and trying to make a device connect to the nearest node is a pain in the ass. So I will be getting the Eero tomorrow to try, and Velop is going back.  If eero does not work, back to standard main router, and a second as a bridge .

Sorry the Linksys didn't work out for you. Curious to hear how the Eero performs.

I've been very happy with my non-mesh Asus RT-AC68U router. A couple months ago Asus added mesh via a firmware update. All that's required is to buy another mesh-capable Asus router and activate the mesh network. I'm quite curious to try what Asus are calling AiMesh as it would be a cheaper entry to mesh networks than starting from scratch with a new system. I've also read many of the popular mesh router systems lack the rich options available in many stand alone routers.

So far so good with the Eero setup. Down the road I may add another node or beacon as one part of the house is a bit slower then the rest, but much faster then it was. Going to keep testing things tomorrow.

• Like 1

I tried Google WiFi and found it to be absolute trash. Poor signal, lack of options, refusal to reliably use wired backhaul, and constantly fighting with my Comcast cable modem. At least one reboot a day. I went to a Synology Rt2600ac and it’s been perfect, using my old Airport Express units as access points throughout the house. Waiting for Synology to release its mesh system, which will supposedly be compatible with its legacy hardware.

I picked up an Eero system a few weeks ago to replace my now-discontinued Apple AirPort routers. I had three AirPorts in all: a 3TB Time Capsule, a 2TB one, and an AirPort Extreme. I had the 3TB Time Capsule connected to my cable modem and the other two placed around the house to extend the signal.

I have a three level house--basement, main floor, and an upstairs--with our cable modem down in the basement. For the most part, the Apple routers worked well, but I had two recurring issues.

First, one of the AirPorts would occassionally disconnect from the WiFi network for no apparent reason. I would check the AirPort Utility App on my phone or iPad, and sure enough, one of them would be missing from the network. When I checked the device itself, I'd see the little amber light blinking, meaning something was wrong. The only way to fix it was to reset the router and set it up again, which was always a pain in the ass.

The second issue was that the coverage throughout the house wasn't great, particularly upstairs. Because of the AirPorts need a surface to sit on, it limited my placement options. The one on the main floor tucked was away in our entertainment center where I suspect the electronics withing were attenuating the signal. The one upstairs sat in the corner of our bedroom, which was about as far away from the other two as it could possibly be. The top speed I can get through my ISP is about 278 down and I was lucky to get more than 10 down in our bedroom. Sometimes I'd get as little as 1 or 2.

With the Eero, I wanted two things. First, I wanted a more reliable connection between all of my routers (i.e. no drops between the three routers). Second, I wanted a more consistent signal throughout the house, particuarly upstairs where our WiFi speeds have been slow.

I bought the Home WiFi system, which consists of one regular Eero and two beacons. I have the regular Eero plugged into my cable modem downstairs, and  one beacon on the main floor and one upstairs. Because I can plug the beacons directly into the wall outlet, I could place them in more central locations throughout the house. Now all three routers are placed more or less on top of one another rather than in disperate locations throughout the house. Additionally, I can place them in open areas where there is little to no interference from other devices.

The end result is that I've gotten what I had hoped for. So far, I have not had any routers drop out of the network, and the speeds have been very fast and consistent throughout the house. In the basement and on the main level, I can get close to hitting my top download speeds, and upstairs I get around 150 down most of the time. I'll have to keep an eye on how things go as time goes on, but for now, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I want the Eero pro system - just too pricey right now.  I tried the 3-node Orbi system from Costco and was very disappointed.  The first system had constant issues and I traded it for another.  On the second one, it was still a finicky setup, and ultimately didn't think my speeds or coverage was significantly better than what I already had.  The Orbi ethernet backhaul support on the satellites was not good.  The latest firmware at the time (after reading up on reddit), I found did not work with ethernet at all.  I had to roll back the firmware on all 3 units to a previous version.

Reviews of the Eero pro sound like it is what I want.  But $499 seems high...

Finally got sick and tired of my TP Link Deco M5 setup.  While it has been quite stable, it was just too slow and really lacked in features.  Decided to forgo the consumer systems and went for an enterprise solution.  My friend told me about Unifi previously so I decided to check it out and it turns out NewEgg had their products on sale so I bit the bullet.  I set it up last night and with one Access Point, it's already functioning better than the M5 setup with 3 APs.  I will be setting up a second AP in the second floor so it should be more than enough.

One great thing is the Cloud Key which keeps track of everything going on in the network and I'm having fun playing around with it.  Here's the link: https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/

ps43.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dimness said:

Anybody have a good argument for

Unifi with nanoHD vs Amplifi?

I am moving out and into an apartment of my own.

For an apartment, Amplifi would most likely be more appropriate.  Unifi requires a lot more components more suited to larger areas.  However, it also depends on what devices you will be using.  For example, if you have a lot of Smart Home devices like Hue, Smart Things, etc.  Those require their hubs to be wired to the network which might be easier with Unifi.  Of course, you can just get a switch and use that with Amplifi.

Amplifi will most likely be cheaper also.

I finally went with the Unifi with the following:

Unifi USG

Unifi 8 150W

Unifi nanoHD

Unifi Cloudkey

and a new modem to top it off:

Netgear CM600

I hope this works.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:56 PM, Dimness said:

I finally went with the Unifi with the following:

Unifi USG

Unifi 8 150W

Unifi nanoHD

Unifi Cloudkey

and a new modem to top it off:

Netgear CM600

I hope this works.

So, how's it working? :)

Been very happy with my Unifi setup and the updates to their app has been great.  Picked up 2 more ACs for the 2nd level and basement.

• Like 1

I run two Netgear Nighthawk X6S Mesh Extenders off a Nighthawk X10 router (I like systems). The X6 Extenders are based on Orbi mainboards and I've had zero problems with them. Coverage has been great and latency has been minimal.

I'm probably going to die of brain cancer. #noragrets

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, GunnerX said:

So, how's it working? :)

Been very happy with my Unifi setup and the updates to their app has been great.  Picked up 2 more ACs for the 2nd level and basement.

Aside from some very strange problem where my controller doesn't work with a micro SD installed, it's been flawless.

• Like 1