LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Carlucci

Happy 15th Anniversary, LCVG!

I was late to the party.  Joined January 2004.  But I remember that was before kids.  Now my daughter is turning 12.  Crazy. My work somehow banned LCVG and a whole bunch of websites and I stopped coming here for a while but it seems they have lifted that ban. :)

• Like 4

The system says I joined on April 9, 2003. What date did the site go live? It appears Kelley was first with a date of April 6. I'm guessing he set it up and then the first small group showed up on the 9th with more on the 11th?

Anyway, some things that happened in 2003 to help distort the already unusual feeling we impart on our experience of time:

• The last signal from Pioneer 10 received (from 7.6 billion miles away)
  • The Iraq war, protests, Freedom fries, Baghdad taken, air marshals, "mission accomplished"
  • The space shuttle Columbia reentry explosion
  • China's first maned spaceflight
  • Darfur begins (and is still happening)
  • Earthquake in Iran kills 30,000-40,000
  • Governator elected in CA
  • Died: Mr. Rogers, Charles Bronson, Bob Hope, John Ritter, Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn, Richard Crenna, Michael Jeter, Johnny Cash, Robert Stack, Buddy Hackett,
  • Born: A bunch of kid's I don't know.
  • Final commercial flight of the Concorde
  • Belgium becomes the 2nd country to recognize same sex marriage
  • Completion of the Human Genome Project
  • Bartman
  • Finding Nemo, Kill Bill
  • 18 year old Ronaldo debuts at Man United
  • Sammy Sosa & Rafael Palmeiro achieve 500 home runs
  • Roger Clemens gets his 300th win
  • The Marlins win the World Series
  • San Antonio Spurs with their second NBA title
  • NJ Devis with the Stanley Cup
  • Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl
  • AC Milan wins Champions League
  • Lance Armstrong 'won' his 5th Tour De France
  • Like 1

Yep a lot of stuff happened that year. The two I remember the most are the Columbia explosion as it unfolded as I was heading back to NY from SC. Not to be dire, but It was also the last day I saw my grandmother, before going to the airport. I sat watching the coverage on tv before boarding. The second is watching Kill Bill during the first get together of forum members. I decided to make the trip at the last minute. Glad I did.

April 11th 2003.  Not much has happened for me.

2003 - Abandoned ship at HTF

2007 - Finally made it into medical school

2010 - Failed out of medical school.  Disappeared from all aspects of a social life out of shame.

2010 - Started culinary trip.

2013 - Got laid off at a job I was hoping to build my career on.

2014 - Got a job being barely paid above minimum wage at a Hilton.  During the summer I contemplated going back to school while washing dishes.  Hurt my knee really bad during work on Thanksgiving.

2017 - Graduated from college with a degree in accounting.

2018 - Here we are at LCVG, and I've got 3 out of 4 sections of the CPA exam done.  And I changed my profile pic.

Still working on owning and managing a restaurant for retirement (fuck peon work and cleaning out a damn fryer).

• Like 3

First of all, thank you to all the fine people who make this place worth visiting every day. 

In the spirit of Camp’s post above, here are some of the video games released in 2003:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Call of Duty
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Manhunt
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
  • Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Pac-Man Vs.
  • P.N. 03
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball
  • Otogi: Myth of Demons
  • Jak II
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
  • Viewtiful Joe

Hardware-wise, it was a pretty quiet year as we were all in the midst of the sixth console generation, but there were a few notable events that took place (per Wikipedia😞

• February 14 — Nintendo releases the Game Boy Advance SP, an enhanced version of its popular Game Boy Advance handheld game console.
  • September — Nintendo's Famicom (NES) and Super Famicom (SNES) are officially axed from production worldwide.
  • Nokia releases the hybrid N-Gage handheld console / mobile phone.
  • First PlayStation Portable prototype shown by Sony.
  • Nintendo states that its next generation console will be fully compatible with the GameCube.

Overall, I’d say it was a pretty good year for games. There’s a lot of titles on that list that still hold up pretty well all these years later.

• Like 3

I enjoyed most of those games. Pacman Vs was ahead of it's time.

• Like 1

Wind Waker is one of my fave Zeldas, even the original long-form sailing one. BG&E holds up and Sands of Time I would kill for an HD remaster on Switch...

I'm not sure if we've ever done this before, but I'm going to send a short email blast to all members. Maybe some lapsed old friends will come around. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I'm not sure if we've ever done this before, but I'm going to send a short email blast to all members. Maybe some lapsed old friends will come around. 

You’re an optimist of epic proportions, Cameron, but good on ya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good year for games. I'd welcome remasters of KOTR, Sands of Time, Beyond Good and Evil, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Viewtiful Joe. I'm certain that Wii U remaster of Wind Waker will come to Switch soon enough. 

• Like 1

That is a stunning reminder that my time in this forum has indeed lasted longer than my marriage did :P.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, Robot Monkey said:

Gosh, fifteen years?!

Thanks to everyone who makes this a community worth coming to every day!

I still remember the day Jay and I set this place up.  I did the setting up he just encouraged me to do it and helped me test it.

• Like 1