LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Forza Horizon 4 - Announced at Conference and coming in October

Been playing this on my One X and really enjoying it.  Decided to play it on my PC today and wow, it looks great!  Looks great on 3440 x 1440.  I should overclock it to 120hz and see how it is.  Seems to load a lot faster then the One X also.

• Like 1

Sunday night, after smashing the final Fast Travel board (thanks to a little help from the Internet), I decided to go for the achievement "The Noisy Cartographer," which you earn by driving down every road in the game. After several hours of driving, I found and drove on 530/531 roads according to the in-game counter. I scoured the map a couple dozen times late Sunday night to find the one road—or patch of road—that I missed. I couldn't find any. Every road looked like I had driven on it. I finally gave up and went to bed.

The next morning, I looked at the Xbox app on my iPhone and found that, despite missing one road, I had still earned the achievement for some reason (I have Achievement notifications turned off on my Xbox One, so didn’t see it when I had earned it). I did a quick search online and found other people having the same issue. They can't find the last one or two roads, but they still earned the Achievement. I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

They only theory I have is that maybe there's another road that appears in one of the other seasons that you have to wait for before you can drive on it. Winter starts in a couple days, so I might have to look at the map again and see if that's the case.

It might be they gave themselves a bit of leeway after so many of us got stuck one road short on the last game. I found it eventually; I’d missed the top of a loop on Hot Wheels but got the ground underneath somehow, so it wasn’t visible on the map. But it drove me nuts for ages. 

I got the final road last night. To get all 531, you need to make sure you drive down both sides of the divided highway that runs a down the middle of the map from north to south. You also need to make sure you drive both sides of the divided road in Edinburgh. Apparently, there was a a bit of the highway on the north-bound side I needed to traverse before it would count it. So, yay!

• Like 2

For those of you who played the demo, check your messages on your Xbox. I just received a code for a 2019 McLaren Senna, which I believe is the super car on the game's cover art. I'll have to give it a spin when I get home tonight.

• Like 1

As announced yesterday at XO, the first expansion for Forza Horizon 4 is Fortune Island. Release date is December 13.

Since launch, I’ve clocked in approximately 45 hours into the game. I’ve done the following:

• Completed every standard exhibition race (sans drag races)

• Completed all the showcase events

• Driven on every road on the map

• Smashed all 200 Bonus Boards (just completed that last night)

• 3-starred all Speed Traps, Speed zones, and Danger Signs

• 3-starred each chapter of two of the Horizon Stories side-quest

• Completed numerous seasonal challenges

• Collected 163 cars (and counting)

• Collected 14/15 Barn Finds (I need to buy the castle to unlock the last one)

I still need to do the big finale races (The Goliath,The Guantlet, The Titan, and The Marathon), the Drift Zones (I hate drifting), most of the drag races, and the rest of the Horizon Stories chapters. I suppose I’ll get to all of that eventually. I kind of want to save the big races for after I’ve done everything else, but I suppose there’s no need to wait.

In case you couldn’t tell, I love this game. I’m very excited to hear that the first expansion is about a month away as it gives me more reason to continue playing it.

• Like 2

I started last night. Hopefully we can get a few game nights going of this

Hmm. After the initial “ooh, it’s Britain, all the street furniture is like real life” excitement I’m less keen than I expected with this. It’s More Horizon and I’ve played quite a bit of 2 and 3 recently. 

But at the same time, that’s an impressive version of Skye they have there. 

This game is gorgeous. And 60FPS :banderas:

I tried quality mode but it wasn't worth the tradeoff to me. The controls feel super snappy in 60fps mode, not to mention it feels more immersive.

Looks like they refined everything that made FH3 good - there's a bit more guided push that keeps you engaged for longer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Looks like they refined everything that made FH3 good - there's a bit more guided push that keeps you engaged for longer. 

I’m about 50 hours in now and agree wholeheartedly. Having the seasonal events helps bring me back in at least once or twice a week. 

Today, I finished up the last of the four “big” races (The Titan, The Guantlet, The Marathon, and The Colossus). I still have some of the Horizon Stories chapters to play, and I think that will just about do it for the main game. Bring on Fortune Island!

I've not had a play with the PC graphics settings so I'm just on the default of "High" that it assigned me. Looks pretty good, though I might need to put some more antialiasing on at some point for all those branches in Winter. 

Though having finally moved to Spring last night I see that my real issue with that vague sense of something missing was that I don't like racing in the snow. Back into it a bit more now.

The demo ran very nicely at 1440p/60 when I ran it on my 1060. If I get an X this week it I'll be interested to see which mode I prefer. I wondered if they ever considered a 1440/60 mode for the X and a go between 1080/60 an 4k/30, if indeed the X could do a game like this and 1440/60. 

Been quiet on this since getting my X, but feel I’ve spent enough time with it now to say that it’s easily one of the best racing games I have ever played, and probably the most enjoyable I’ve played since MSR on the Dreamcast. This game alone justifies the investment in the X for me.

I qualified for the Horizon Roster this evening and opened up the game to enjoy co op and pvp races with the Horizon Life stuff, and got to do a couple of great events with Iain who was online so I created a convoy. Just incredibly fun stuff. When you look over the history of many of the devs at Playground it’s no wonder this is such an accomplished title. It’s like the best of Burnout Paradise and MSR/PGR. Part of me actually wishes MS would let Playground resurrect PGR but with street races on offer in Horizon (and so much more) is there any point? 

Also, I’m team 4K. I did play it at 1080/60 when I first got it, and while I wish there was an option for 1440/60 that I ran when I tried the PC demo, it’s just too pretty in 4K for me to want to bump down to 1080. Generally it’s a solid 30 too, like Driveclub managed. There do seem to be some frame drops in the winter season when you’re driving off road and blasting through heavy undergrowth, but certainly in races it has been consistently good for me. 

Funnily enough the game is making me rather homesick for the shires where I roamed before moving out to London. I miss endless fields and streams. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Also, I’m team 4K. I did play it at 1080/60 when I first got it, and while I wish there was an option for 1440/60 that I ran when I tried the PC demo, it’s just too pretty in 4K for me to want to bump down to 1080.

Boooo! The controls just become goo for me after playing a bunch at 60fps and switching to 4k. 

Team framerate here :)