LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Devil May Cry 5 - Reveal trailer

Reviews are out and it really sounds like this delivers the goods. Looking forward to playing it (....though haven’t a clue when that will be).

The reviews are definitely saying what I wanted to hear ;) Looking forward to this, even if I'm way out of practice at this genre. I will not be good at this game. 

• Like 1

Loved DMC.  Played on the PC.  Had trouble getting into Bayonetta 2 though recently.  I don't know if that's me being done with this genre, or just not like the style of Bayonetta.  Either way, I'll have to get DMC 5 when it is cheaper at some point.

Quick summary:

- XBX runs at 2160p reconstructed (i.e. not native)

- PS4 Pro runs at 1800p reconstructed. Difference in resolution is nearly unnoticeable because of how much post processing is going on with the image.

- PS4 runs at native 1080p.

- XB1S runs at 1080p reconstructed.

- XBX gets slightly better anti-aliasing and shadow quality.

- All other versions are identical otherwise.

- PS4 Pro has a higher average framerate but the difference is minute. Both the X and Pro versions are nearly interchangeable.

- PS4 version runs well with a close to 60fps average.

- The XB1S version can barely hold 60fps and drops often. Not a great experience on the framerate front.

- HDR implementation is good and overall better than the RE2 implementation.

I'm kind of torn on which version to get. The X has small improvements but DMC just feels right on a Playstation controller....*sigh*

The lack of discussion on this game is sheer insanity.:)

I finally got the chance to sit down and play the first 5 missions last night and hot damn its good to have Devil May Cry back. Make no mistake either, this is a direct continuation of Devil May Cry 4 and a true sequel to the canon series - not the Ninja Theory offshoot (which I actually thought was pretty good!). This is at a whole other level. It's wonderfully Japanese, with the same irreverent attitude and anime sensibilities that's made the series a favorite for many fans including myself. Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made but I have a connection with Dante and this cast of characters that puts its just a little higher on the scale for me.:)

Seriously though, this should have been called "Devil May Cry V: Bad Ass The Game". First off, the RE Engine puts on another visual display of just how versatile and gorgeous it is. These are some of the most expressive and well designed character models out there. Whether its Nico catching a cigarette in her mouth in the middle of the DMC van flipping through the air or Nero showing his disdain for said smoke while he hangs his head out of the passenger side window. It's "wow" level stuff and the fact that the game proper runs at a mostly solid 60fps makes me wish Capcom would license this engine out. It's just that good.

The gameplay is a mix of Devil May Cry 3's mission structure and Devil May Cry 4's character variety. It's all gloriously linear. Yes, I meant to say that. In an age of gaming where everything is a fucking open world map littered with icons and needless busy work - booting this game up to find that missions are numbered, the levels are designed as straight forward corridors with minimal exploration and the focus being 150% on the action and an extremely deep combat system is like being wrapped in a warm, comfortable blanket. Some may balk at this but to that I say; come at me bro! I yearn for these types of experiences anymore.

I've only played as Nero and V thus far but most of the exploring you do will be to find red orb clusters, yellow orbs that function as continues when you die and a few other orb types that increase vitality and the Devil Trigger gauge for V. There's also a simple pentagram system for finding secret missions that you have to keep an eye out for but other than that, you're not going to get lost in this game and it does all that it can to keep pushing you forward to next enemy encounter and/or boss fight. 

How glorious the combat is, too. Nero retains his exceed gauge from DMC4. It's the "rev" system for his red queen sword. You can either manually rev while standing still or you can press the exceed button at the end of a swing to increase the gauge and release more powerful attacks. It's an intricate and easy to use system that you must get good with timing wise if you want those SSS ratings. The new Devil Breaker system is where most of the depth comes into play. There are 7-8 different Devil Arms that Nero can attach to his right arm. Each one has its own basic attack along with a super attack that you can trigger by holding down the Devil Break button. Doing the super attack will break the Devil Arm though. You can also detonate the arm to get you out of trouble as well but again, that will break the arm and force you to use another. One arm functions as a bad ass whip, another launches your fist into the air as a rocket (which you can even ride!) and there's even more variety as the game progresses. You'll spend the early parts of the game just playing around with each while you get used to how they function in battle and since you cannot swap between them you have to choose whether to get good with the one you have or blow it up to move to the next. You can set pre-determined load outs in the customization screen and Nico sells you more arms as the game progresses. Listen,  I'm a DMC vet and I'm nowhere near close to knowing them well enough to kick off any insane combos yet but I did manage an SS ranking or two. So I don't feel too bad about how I'm doing so far.

V is a just a whole different animal to play as. Getting used to him takes time but its a really unique combat style. Instead of a gun and a sword, V is aided by two demons that are bound to him. One is a hawk like creature named Griffon and the other is a Panther like creature called Shadow. Each is tied to one of the attack buttons. V is an observer at best. He does not directly attack enemies - he sends his minions to do his work. His only involvement in combat is to finish off the enemies as neither Griffon nor Shadow can do that. Once an enemies life has been depleted, a ring gauge will appear around them and they will go white which means they can be finished off. You can either walk over them or lock on to them and hit the B button to teleport to them and finish them off with his cane. Your minions can also take enough damage to go into a state called "Stalemate" where they need to recharge. The closer V is to them, the faster that happens but it puts you in more danger. You can also charge up stronger attacks by holding the right trigger which makes V read from his poetry book. There's nothing quite so bad ass as having your demonic minions wreak havoc while your in-game character sits around reading poetry aloud.:lawl

Finally, V does have one more minion he uses named Nightmare that functions as his Devil Trigger. He's basically a screen clearing monstrosity that will violently appear (at times destroying part of the environment which opens up secret paths) and takes care of any nuisances. You can eventually unlock a skill to be able to ride him around and attack while you're on his back which is a pretty good time and it keeps V safe from taking unnecessary hits during the carnage.

The story is setup well right off the bat with Dante getting ass kicked by the new ruler of the Underworld - a demon named Urizel. He also happens to be the demon who ripped off and stole Nero's arm (the sword Yamato that Vergil once used). Also, there's a great "History of Devil May Cry" video to get you up to speed on what's happened in the previous 4 games. So newcomers need not fret. You can certainly jump into this one.

Also, the addition of Nico to the cast is just wonderful. She functions as Nero's partner and artisan weapon maker. She's a smart ass, she's a complete caricature of a pissy southern bell, she's intentionally trashy and she's downright fun. She provides you with the ability to upgrades your skills, buy items and set load outs for your Devil Arms. In each level, you'll find a phone that you can use to call her in and part of the fun is seeing how she manages to get the Devil May Cry van to your location. Each time you make the call, there's a relevant cutscene of her arriving at your spot and it's more often than not hilarious. It honestly makes me want that stupid $150 Collector's Edition even more!

So yeah, this is one of those "made for little ole me" games. It clicks at every possible level that a game can from a gameplay standpoint. If I had to say something negative, its that the levels are perhaps a bit too simple and unassuming but I'm far too busy wrecking demons to notice too much. Short and sweet: GO BUY THIS GAME NOW.

• Like 1
  • Epic Post 2

I was actually going to ask if you had any impressions yet, thanks :) Waiting on my code from AMD & I'll get playing. 

For my son's reading log, he read an article about it from Wireframe, and now he wants to play lol. 

• Like 1

Corrected some errors in my post and expanded a few thoughts.

I look forward to getting home tonight and playing more.:)

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

The lack of discussion on this game is sheer insanity.:)

I finally got the chance to sit down and play the first 5 missions last night and hot damn its good to have Devil May Cry back. Make no mistake either, this is a direct continuation of Devil May Cry 4 and a true sequel to the canon series - not the Ninja Theory offshoot (which I actually thought was pretty good!). This is at a whole other level. It's wonderfully Japanese, with the same irreverent attitude and anime sensibilities that's made the series a favorite for many fans including myself. Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made but I have a connection with Dante and this cast of characters that puts its just a little higher on the scale for me.:)

Seriously though, this should have been called "Devil May Cry V: Bad Ass The Game". First off, the RE Engine puts on another visual display of just how versatile and gorgeous it is. These are some of the most expressive and well designed character models out there. Whether its Nico catching a cigarette in her mouth in the middle of the DMC van flipping through the air or Nero showing his disdain for said smoke while he hangs his head out of the passenger side window. It's "wow" level stuff and the fact that the game proper runs at a mostly solid 60fps makes me wish Capcom would license this engine out. It's just that good.

The gameplay is a mix of Devil May Cry 3's mission structure and Devil May Cry 4's character variety. It's all gloriously linear. Yes, I meant to say that. In an age of gaming where everything is a fucking open world map littered with icons and needless busy work - booting this game up to find that missions are numbered, the levels are designed as straight forward corridors with minimal exploration and the focus being 150% on the action and an extremely deep combat system is like being wrapped in a warm, comfortable blanket. Some may balk at this but to that I say; come at me bro! I yearn for these types of experiences anymore.

I've only played as Nero and V thus far but most of the exploring you do will be to find red orb clusters, yellow orbs that function as continues when you die and a few other orb types that increase vitality and the Devil Trigger gauge for V. There's also a simple pentagram system for finding secret missions that you have to keep an eye out for but other than that, you're not going to get lost in this game and it does all that it can to keep pushing you forward to next enemy encounter and/or boss fight. 

How glorious the combat is, too. Nero retains his exceed gauge from DMC4. It's the "rev" system for his red queen sword. You can either manually rev while standing still or you can press the exceed button at the end of a swing to increase the gauge and release more powerful attacks. It's an intricate and easy to use system that you must get good with timing wise if you want those SSS ratings. The new Devil Breaker system is where most of the depth comes into play. There are 7-8 different Devil Arms that Nero can attach to his right arm. Each one has its own basic attack along with a super attack that you can trigger by holding down the Devil Break button. Doing the super attack will break the Devil Arm though. You can also detonate the arm to get you out of trouble as well but again, that will break the arm and force you to use another. One arm functions as a bad ass whip, another launches your fist into the air as a rocket (which you can even ride!) and there's even more variety as the game progresses. You'll spend the early parts of the game just playing around with each while you get used to how they function in battle and since you cannot swap between them you have to choose whether to get good with the one you have or blow it up to move to the next. You can set pre-determined load outs in the customization screen and Nico sells you more arms as the game progresses. Listen,  I'm a DMC vet and I'm nowhere near close to knowing them well enough to kick off any insane combos yet but I did manage an SS ranking or two. So I don't feel too bad about how I'm doing so far.

V is a just a whole different animal to play as. Getting used to him takes time but its a really unique combat style. Instead of a gun and a sword, V is aided by two demons that are bound to him. One is a hawk like creature named Griffon and the other is a Panther like creature called Shadow. Each is tied to one of the attack buttons. V is an observer at best. He does not directly attack enemies - he sends his minions to do his work. His only involvement in combat is to finish off the enemies as neither Griffon nor Shadow can do that. Once an enemies life has been depleted, a ring gauge will appear around them and they will go white which means they can be finished off. You can either walk over them or lock on to them and hit the B button to teleport to them and finish them off with his cane. Your minions can also take enough damage to go into a state called "Stalemate" where they need to recharge. The closer V is to them, the faster that happens but it puts you in more danger. You can also charge up stronger attacks by holding the right trigger which makes V read from his poetry book. There's nothing quite so bad ass as having your demonic minions wreak havoc while your in-game character sit around reading poetry aloud.:lawl

Finally, V does have one more minion he uses named Nightmare that functions as his Devil Trigger. He's basically a screen clearing monstrosity that will violently appear (at times destroying part of the environment which opens up secret paths) and takes care of any nuisances. You can eventually unlock a skill to be able to ride him around and attack while you're on his back which is a pretty good time and it keeps V safe from taking unnecessary hits during the carnage.

The story is setup well right off the bat with Dante getting ass kicked by the new ruler of the Underworld - a demon named Urizel. He also happens to be the demon who ripped off and stole Nero's arm (the sword Yamato that Vergil once used). Also, there's a great "History of Devil May Cry" video to get you up to speed on what's happened in the previous 4 games. So newcomers need not fret. You can certainly jump into this one.

Also, the addition of Nico to the cast is just wonderful. She functions as Nero's partner and artisan weapon maker. She's a smart ass, she's a complete caricature of a pissy southern bell, she's intentionally trashy and she's downright fun. She provides you with the ability to upgrades your skills, buy items and set load outs for your Devil Arms. In each level, you'll find a phone that you can use to call her in and part of the fun is seeing how she manages to get the Devil May Cry van to your location. Each time you make the call, there's a relevant cutscene of her arriving at your spot and it's more often than not hilarious. It honestly makes me want that stupid $150 Collector's Edition even more!

So yeah, this is one of those "made for little ole me" games. It clicks at every possible level that a game can from a gameplay standpoint. If I had to say something negative, its that the levels are perhaps a bit too simple and unassuming but I'm far too busy wrecking demons to notice too much. Short and sweet: GO BUY THIS GAME NOW.

Sounds great.  I loved DMC 4 and the recent DMC.  I'll have to get to this eventually.

Hit mission 9 last night. I'm starting to get into the groove now. I've S ranked the last few missions and am starting to at least his SS rankings during fights more consistently now. Some missions actually give you the option to play as Nero or V with each hitting different paths in each level. I plan to replay those missions with the opposite character before moving on. The game easily lets you replay missions whenever you like and its a good way to farm for orbs if you'd like.

On that front, the game does offer micro-transactions in that it lets you buy orb packs for real cash. It's like $2.00 for a 100k red orbs but honestly? It's a complete waste of money. You can farm 30k orbs in a mission really easily and the game provides more than enough of those orbs to upgrade your characters regularly even if you choose not to farm. It's too bad the game bothered to those transactions to begin with but at least it can be easily ignored which is a good thing. 

I also wanted to mention that one of the early missions has Nero battling a huge 4 legged mechanical beast called "Gilgamesh" - and man what a boss battle it was. I don't want to spoil how the battle plays out since figuring how to take it down is part of the fun but its a memorable fight to say the least. 

Finally, I didn't mention it in my early impressions but I fucking love the soundtrack! I find myself humming it even when I'm not playing the game and it would be an immediate purchase if Capcom does indeed release it. It exudes pure 90's attitude and the stuff that the rock genre was putting out during that era (Gravity Kills, Orgy, Stabbing Westward, etc.)

This is V's battle music: