LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Resident Evil 2 Remake Announced at PS Conference

More media from out of Gamescome including a better look at Claire, Sherry Birkin and Chief Irons. Also, the first reveal of William Birkin:

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_001.jpg 

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_002.jpg 

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_003.jpg 

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_004.jpg

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Ok, so is it me or did Capcom model Claire after Rebecca Ferguson? :)

rebecca-ferguson-wallpaper-17247908.jpg 

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_008.jpg

It's not just you.

I just noticed a few folks on Era saw it in that thread too! I was looking at that second shot like "Man she looks familiar" and then it clicked for me. Not that I'm complaining at all.:)

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Not that I'm complaining at all.:)

You better not be! 

3 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Man, I wished Capcom owned the Silent Hill rights....They know how to do a remake.

I'd settle for the bare minimum effort in doing a freaking remaster. Konami couldn't even get that right.:/

Between Resident Evil VII and this remake though, it's good to have Resident Evil back in the upper echelon of survival horror. Shit was dicey for a good long while with the franchise..lol.

I think I would rather see them remake RE3 first, but someday a revisit of the very first one would be exciting to see as well.

Same. REmake is about damned perfect. I’d prefer they finish remastering some of the backgrounds from the HD version to full resolution than doing another remake of it. 

Or, do a fixed camera version of the RE2 remake for the fun of it. I’d take either of those or a full RE3 remake as Jeff mentioned.

I've never played RE3 :(...

I would be down for a Code Veronica with this engine. I can't get over how awesome this RE2 remake is looking.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, Romier S said:

Ok, so is it me or did Capcom model Claire after Rebecca Ferguson? :)

rebecca-ferguson-wallpaper-17247908.jpg 

Resident-Evil-2_2018_08-21-18_008.jpg

No complaints from me.

Can't wait to see her portrayal of Rose the Hat in The Shining sequel - Dr. Sleep with Ewan McGregor as the grownup Danny Torrance.

How Capcom updated Resident Evil 2 for 2019

Chris Plante of Polygon has a good interview up today with Capcom producer Tsuyoshi Kanda covering the Resident Evil 2 remake.

Twenty years ago, players sort of lived with fussy controls and frustrating save systems. Do you feel the need to make a version of Resident Evil 2 that’s more accessible and accommodating for an audience that’s so much bigger now than it was in the mid-’90s?

Yeah. We’ve had to update it in a way that makes sense to modern game players in terms of accessibility. People have certain standards they expect today, whether it’s ease of moving the character, aiming, controlling the camera. These are all kind of just basics you have to hit.

Within that context, we can still add difficulty. This isn’t a shooter where you can aim exactly where you want to all the time. We can bring a certain weight to the controls to make it challenging. You still panic in the moment to pick up your gun and shoot a certain part of the zombie. That feeds into the horror part.

Just by making a modern, accessible game doesn’t mean you have to make a quick action game. You can make an accessible game and still make decisions that put it firmly in the survival horror camp. We’ve had reference to Resident Evil 7 in that sense, because it’s also a very horror-focused game. And although the camera system in [the Resident Evil 2 remake] is different — compared to Resident Evil 7, it’s not first-person — we still have a certain claustrophobia to the camera angle. It’s third-person, but it isn’t a zoomed-out view of the whole world. It’s very up close and personal with the characters on screen, and I think we’ve been able to translate that into something that feels natural and pick-up-and-playable to modern gamers, but it doesn’t lose that sense of claustrophobic horror that fans expect from the original game.

The promise of a true survival horror Resident Evil game from the over-the-shoulder perspective is what intrigues me the most about this project. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 4, and while I love that game to death, it and its two follow ups definitely fall under the action genre and not survival horror. We've never had an RE game with the over-the-shoulder view that tries to create the scares and terror of an old-school survival horror game with fixed camera angles. If Capcom does this right, we could end up with something that feels fresh and new, even though it's based on a twenty year-old game.

Remaster, Remake, or Reimagining? The Task of Bringing Back Resident Evil 2

Daniel Krupa, writing for IGN, on how the over-the-shoulder perspective changes what can be done with the game's signature monster:

“The Licker appeared in the original game, climbing on the ceiling, and it looks terrifying,” [producer Yoshiaki] Hirabayashi tells me. “But ultimately, it had to drop to the floor for you to fight it because it wasn’t really possible to have full 360-degree shooting in the old gameplay. It was sort of a stop-and-aim shooting system with a fixed camera. It was too fiddly. It would’ve been too frustrating. But now we’re able to put the camera behind the character’s back and it gives you more freedom of camera and shooting control. The Licker can actually represent what it was always meant to be, which was this terrifying, ‘where’s it going to come from’ creature. You can call it a reimagining or an addition, but it’s really just going back to what the original concept was but couldn’t really be followed through 20 years ago.”

1 hour ago, JFo said:

How Capcom updated Resident Evil 2 for 2019

Chris Plante of Polygon has a good interview up today with Capcom producer Tsuyoshi Kanda covering the Resident Evil 2 remake.

The promise of a true survival horror Resident Evil game from the over-the-shoulder perspective is what intrigues me the most about this project. I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 4, and while I love that game to death, it and its two follow ups definitely fall under the action genre and not survival horror. We've never had an RE game with the over-the-shoulder view that tries to create the scares and terror of an old-school survival horror game with fixed camera angles. If Capcom does this right, we could end up with something that feels fresh and new, even though it's based on a twenty year-old game.

You really should try "The Evil Within" if you already haven't. It is the proper sequel to Resident Evil 4 in a lot of ways. The Evil Within 2 moves the series much more into the action realm and open world genres but the original is underrated as a survival horror experience. If you grab it on the PS4 and pair it with the Pro, the boost mode resolves 99% of the technical issues that hampered the game at launch.