LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Resident Evil 2 Remake Announced at PS Conference

Go out and buy a fat model PS2 (which can be had from a variety of sources for $20-30) and hook that sumbitch up via component cables (which are also cheap) and play the original releases at their proper 240p resolutions in all of their glory? :crazy:

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Go out and buy a fat model PS2 (which can be had from a variety of sources for $20-30) and hook that sumbitch up via component cables (which are also cheap) and play the original releases at their proper 240p resolutions in all of their glory? :crazy:

Component cables? That sounds like a lot of work. :bird

• Epic Post 1

47 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Component cables? That sounds like a lot of work. :bird

Just be glad this isn't Gamecube we're talking about...

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Just be glad this isn't Gamecube we're talking about...

The joy I felt when I found my GC component cables buried in my gaming bin in my garage.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

I still have my GameCube copies of all the Resident Evil games. And a component video cable.

Just sayin'... 😎

• Like 2

Dreamcast 4 Life here when it comes to RE2 and RE3. Visually, they are the best versions when properly output via VGA, IMO (480p!) though the GC versions are quite good as well but lack all of the extras in the PC and DC release and are limited to 480i. Plus the DC has full screen 60fps versions of the CG cut scenes. It also has the added benefit that I can shift right in the original version of Code Veronica on the DC.

I also have all RE titles released on the GC. REmake also not being prog scan on the GC is poop though!

So I'm on a work trip this week and brought my Vita along. 

I just go out of the police station and into the sewer with Leon and Ada in the original PSX version of RE2 played through on the Vita.:)

6 minutes ago, Romier S said:

So I'm on a work trip this week and brought my Vita along. 

I just go out of the police station and into the sewer with Leon and Ada in the original PSX version of RE2 played through on the Vita.:)

Dude, save the experience for the remake release.

They are likely to be very very different experiences with the new game calling back to certain elements/puzzles from the original but with significant twists and scenarios. I liken it to playing the original release of Resident Evil on the PSX vs REmake. Both are similar but in many ways remarkably different and worth experiencing on their own.

I would like to have RE2 fresh in my mind for when the remake lands as its been a good number of years since I revisited it and it'll be great/interesting to compare/contrast those experiences. Plus, these original RE games are such a minimal time commitment. Ever years on, I still remember where a lot of the needed items are and I'm more than halfway through the game in less than a hour and a half. RE1 and RE2 can be beaten in less than 3 hours by a good player just running through the game. The speedrunner folks have beaten RE2 in a little over 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

It took me about 10 hours to beat PS4 REmake.  I enjoyed almost all of it.

Pretty normal time for a first time playthrough, yeah. Once you know where the stuff is though and load past all of the cutscenes, etc? You can easily beat it in 3 hours or less. 

For the more insane master level stuff:

Collectors Edition:

Dik6EhLVQAAgGwv.jpg:large   

Some cool key art:

Dik5bzKVMAAWSsy.jpg 

and more:

Dikx-KnU8AArvOf.jpg 

DikximrUYAADIna.jpg:large 

DikxcYmU0AAQAvM.jpg 

A big fat BOOO to the soundtrack swap being relegated to DLC. That's garbage. That should be an embedded option right in the menus. 

I like the statue but for me to bite on $200, the soundtrack needs to be on vinyl and the case needs to be Steelbook.   Saw a similarly priced Shadow of the Tomb Raider Collector’s Edition.

I’m done with CE’s. I’ll buy the regular old edition at normal price and wait for the vinyl an separate CD soundtracks. Better money spent than on a figure and special box. 

I don’t preorder many CE’s these days but I do pick them up at a discounted price when I can (Mafia 3 for $25 being the most recent) but I couldn’t say no to Spider-Man. 

• Like 1

So, I finished my first ever play through of the Director's Cut of Resident Evil from PSX last night. As I said in another thread, it felt like I was playing the alpha version of a game that came out a few years later after a lot more tweaking, development time, and far better graphics.

I enjoyed it for the most part. My biggest gripe, as you can imagine, were the controls and the combat. The former I suffered through, but they felt so inelegant and clunky. The latter worked well enough when fighting slow-moving zombies, but anytime I came across a fast-moving enemy, such as the hunters or bug creatures at the very end of the game, it was really frustrating. Unlike the REmake, your character doesn’t automatically lock on to the closest enemy when you get ready to fire, so you have to make sure you’re facing the right way before you do. Since there's no quick-turn move, it can be nearly impossible to run away from an enemy, turn around, and fire without taking damage.

For shits and giggles, I decided to fire up RE2 last night before bed and do a little comparison. I dug up my old GameCube, its component video cables, and my (somewhat rare) copy RE2 so I could compared it to the PS3 version (which is obviously based on the PSX version). To my surprise, the GameCube port looked slightly better, even though it was only running at 480i. The big difference was in the character models, which looked sharper, smoother, and more detailed on GameCube. There was less aliasing and shimmering when they moved, which made the overall presentation a lot nicer. I don’t think there was any difference in the pre-rendered background between both versions.

For this reasons, I think I’m going to do my replay of RE2 on the GCN after all. Not only does it look better, I still have my original save file from June 2004, which means I can finally play the ClaireA/LeonB scenario. Throw in the Type C controls scheme, which maps the move forward button to the R trigger, and you have a version that feels better to play as well. I played through the opening section on both PS3 and GCN last night and it was a night and day difference for me. I easily evaded the zombies on the GameCube, but struggled to get past them on PS3.

I'm really looking forward to playing this again. With the sales of all the Resident Evil games on both PSN and Xbox Live, I’ll probably be picking up all the other games in the series and going through each one in anticipation for the RE2 remake. Aside from the REmake and RE4, I have only ever played the rest of these  games one time. I've never even played Revelations 2, nor did I ever complete RE6 (I gave up on it after a few hours). It might be fun to start a separate thread and go through each game as I play it. We'll see.

😉

It’s my next series play through after I finish The Legacy of Kain playthrough. Though I’m sticking to mainline titles. You should start up a retro game thread on it, Jeff. 

My plan is as follows:

REmake (Jill and Chris) (PS4 HD version)

Resident Evil 0 (PS4 HD) I’ll struggle finishing this since I’m not a fan but I really should!

Resident Evil 2 (Claire A/Leon B since it’s canon) (Dreamcast)

Resident Evil 3 (Dreamcast)

Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

Resident Evil 4 (GameCube or PS4 HD version, haven’t decided)

Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360. The remaster is supposedly poor)

Resident Evil 6 (PS4 remaster) I’ve never played through it but the remaster is the best of the bunch running at a solid 60fps/1080p

Resident Evil 7 (PS4 Pro) Maybe do my VR run? Not sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360. The remaster is supposedly poor)

I’ve certainly heard the same thing. I’ve seen Digital Foundry’s video on it, and there are definitely framerate drops in scenes with lots of enemies.

I wonder though, if playing it on the Xbox One X improves matters any. I know many games get a free performance boost when running on the X, and I would think the same would be true with Resident Evil 5. Is it enough to get it running at 60fps consistently? I honestly don’t know. I’ve tried to find the answer online, but I can’t seem to find any definitive takes on the matter.

All right, so I bit the bullet and purchased the Resident Evil triple pack from Xbox Live. This is the one that comes with 4, 5, and 6. I loaded up 5 to see how it performed on the Xbox One X. I played through chapter 1-1, which features the first major mob attack scene. 

Despite perhaps a few stutters on the opening cut scene, I didn’t really notice any framerate drops during actual gameplay. Granted, I don’t have any tools at my disposal to measure the framerate or frame pacing, and I was a bit preoccupied trying avoid being killed by the mob of infected enemies, but it looked smooth enough that I don’t think I will be distracted by it. I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to the 30fps version on Xbox 360 now.

Like I said, my impressions are based on the Xbox One X, so I can’t vouch for the performance on the S or original model. If you do have the X though, I think you’ll be happy with this port, based on my brief playthrough of the opening area.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

All right, so I bit the bullet and purchased the Resident Evil triple pack from Xbox Live. This is the one that comes with 4, 5, and 6. I loaded up 5 to see how it performed on the Xbox One X. I played through chapter 1-1, which features the first major mob attack scene. 

Despite perhaps a few stutters on the opening cut scene, I didn’t really notice any framerate drops during actual gameplay. Granted, I don’t have any tools at my disposal to measure the framerate or frame pacing, and I was a bit preoccupied trying avoid being killed by the mob of infected enemies, but it looked smooth enough that I don’t think I will be distracted by it. I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to the 30fps version on Xbox 360 now.

Like I said, my impressions are based on the Xbox One X, so I can’t vouch for the performance on the S or original model. If you do have the X though, I think you’ll be happy with this port, based on my brief playthrough of the opening area.

It looks like Boost Mode on the Pro locks the game at 60fps now as well. I think I’ll go that route, then.  I already have 4 and 6 on the PS4 so no reason to change platforms.