LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate [Switch] - Dec 7th 2018. ALL of the characters.

Take a deep breath (and make a cup of tea. this is a 25 minute video)...

Huge high res image. Too beautiful not to share: 

058c65e127.jpg

Full 65 character roster:

Spoiler

1 Mario
2 Donkey Kong
3 Link
4 Samus
5 Yoshi
6 Kirby
7 Fox
8 Pikachu
9 Luigi
10 Ness
11 Captain Falcon
12 JigglyPuff
13 Peach / Daisy 
14 Bowser
15 Ice Climbers
16 Sheik
17 Zelda
18 Dr. Mario
19 Pichu
20 Falco
21 Lucina 
22 Young Link
23 Ganondorf
24 Mewtwo
25 Roy
26 Mr. Game & Watch
27 Meta Knight
28 Pit / Dark Pit 
29 Zero Suit Samus
30 Wario
31 Snake (voiced by David Hayter)
32 Ike
33 Squirtle
34 Ivysaur
35 Charmander
36 Diddy Kong
37 Lucas
38 Sonic
39 King Dedede
40 Olimar
41 Lucario
42 R.O.B.
43 Toon Link
44 Wolf
45 Villager
46 Mega Man
47 Wii Fit Trainer
48 Rosalina & Luma
49 Little Mac
50 Greninja
51 Mii Brawler
52 Mii Swordfighter
53 Mii Gunner
54 Palutena
55 Pac-Man
56 Robin
57 Shulk
58 Bowser Jr.
59 Duck Hunt
60 Ryu
61 Cloud
62 Corrin
63 Bayonetta
64 Inkling 
65 Ridley 

Gamecube controller support is also in.

Here's the reaction of the fans at Nintendo's store in New York City when they announced the fighters that would be in the game. This is roughly five minutes of Smash fans absolutely losing all their shit as they realize that every character ever is in the game.

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Hardcore Smash Brothers and Kingdom Hearts fans are a special kind of crazy.

I would like to make fun of these people, but if I were there at the store watching this Nintendo Direct with them, I would probably be having the same reactions.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

I would like to make fun of these people, but if I were there at the store watching this Nintendo Direct with them, I would probably be having the same reactions.

I can only limit myself to polite British applause...

hp16.gif

A new Nintendo Direct provides another 30 minute deep dive into the game:

Spoiler

Simon and Richter Belmont from Castlevania and King K Rool from Donkey Kong Country are new character additions alongside Dark Samus and Chrom from Fire Emblem as echoes

This game continues to look utterly ridiculous. 

All confirmed as getting their own Amiibos, too. 

I'm out of the Amiibo game in general (I sold off my collection on Ebay for close to $700) but I may not be able to say not to a Richter and Simon Amiibo.:)

The most exciting thing about the announcement is the remixed Bloody Tears/Monster Dance track:

That's bad ass.:)

I just sat and watched the presentation straight through and would highly recommend anyone with just a passing interest do so as well. I was interested before, but can now say I am on the hype train for this one. It is such an astonishing love letter to a ludicrous array of characters and the games that they come from. There's no doubt I will be overwhelmed by everything on offer here but I don't think I'll mind. The attention to detail, the animations, the wealth of music and level locations, characters, gameplay options is pretty extraordinary. I never got a sense of the series having such a sense of humour in the past either, but this presentation really sold it. Ultimate just seems to relish in its absurdity. 

47 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I just sat and watched the presentation straight through and would highly recommend anyone with just a passing interest do so as well. I was interested before, but can now say I am on the hype train for this one. It is such an astonishing love letter to a ludicrous array of characters and the games that they come from. There's no doubt I will be overwhelmed by everything on offer here but I don't think I'll mind. The attention to detail, the animations, the wealth of music and level locations, characters, gameplay options is pretty extraordinary. I never got a sense of the series having such a sense of humour in the past either, but this presentation really sold it. Ultimate just seems to relish in its absurdity. 

I think that every time and then I realize that the core gameplay doesn't appeal to me outside of a party setting with friends and I end up selling the game off once the "love letter" aspect dissipates. 

I know its sacrilegious and what not but its been my general feeling towards the franchise for years now.:/

Also this has nothing to do with Smash but FUUUUCK do I want a new Super Monkey Ball game on the Switch!

• Like 1

A Super Monkey Ball game would very likely push me into getting a Switch, especially if it included those great mini-games.

Frankly, the mere possibility of Gamecube Virtual Console on Switch, and therefore Super Monkey Ball, was what pushed me over the top into getting one.

Yes, but once you and Dan and I have mauled each other in Smash Bros you will understand the power of the Cloud (or whatever character you choose) ;).

• Like 1

The animations for the Duck Hunt dog had me giggling during the latest Nintendo Direct. I love that he's in the game in some capacity. 

Also Pac-Man vs Dracula is just ridiculous and I must experience that. 

Today's (final) Direct for the game:

They also reveal DLC. Piranha Plant will be a free character in February for those buying and registering the game before the 31st of Jan, then throughout next year and into early 2020 there will be individual $6.99 packs containing a new fighter, music track and a new stage. A pre-purchase of all five packs will set players back $24.99. 

I will buy this game, there's a lot I already love from what I have seen, but I'm on the fence now about buying it right away (particularly given the strangely high, even for Nintendo standards, price in the UK). I am also hesitant somewhat because the more I watch it the more it strikes me that it is, at its core, a party game best played with others, and since I don't play online due to time zone differences and since I don't know people who'd be keen to sit and play it in the same room it kind of leaves me wondering if it's just something I'd get more fun out of watching other people play and get excited about (I've become most hyped when watching the Easy Allies guys watching these Directs, than I have just watching the Directs...er... directly. I'll think on it. As a fan of Nintendo history its hard not to love the absurd mix of characters on offer here. A little insight into the adventure/story mode at the end of today's direct caught my interest (double points back on eshop purchase too for both regular and dlc bundle versions is a nice bonus incentive).

They have a Fatal Frame assist and a spirit based on the Japan-only Ouendan franchise (changed to Elite Beat Agents here). I cannot say no to that.

That’s the kind of deep dives I love in Smash - there was a trophy for Famicom Detective Club in the Cube version for pity’s sake...

I've never really liked smash, but I'll probably end up getting this one for my son, who said that Smash on WiiU was "his favourite game" after playing it at a day camp over the summer.  I'll give this new one an honest try though-I do like the idea of all that Nintendo history in one place. 

I’m 90% set on getting it next month. I need to read up a bit more on Classic modes and the adventure mode, but from what I’ve researched so far I think I can find enough amusement here (and would like to set aside some weekend time over the holidays to hopefully play with any of you guys).

The double eshop reward points is a nice incentive to go towards other games I’d like to get on Switch this winter (Capt Toad and Mario+Rabbids are inder £30 here now), and I’m awaiting a price and date on Katamari Damacy. I’d get £6 back in points according to Nintendo if pre-ordering.

I should probably finally get the Pro controller I guess. I do have my Cube buried in storage somewhere but vs the chore of finding that and buying the cube adapter the Pro controller is probably the better investment for me long term. I could even just try that £20 Switch-NS USB dongle that would let me use my PC’s XB1S pad.

23 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I am also hesitant somewhat because the more I watch it the more it strikes me that it is, at its core, a party game best played with others...

I don't know, man. I'm a huge Smash fan, and I almost never play it with other people. I spend most of my time with the single-player portion or having matched with computer opponents. It's a blast. From the looks of it, there's a ton to do in this game if you don't have Nintendo Online or any local friends to play with you. 

• Like 1