LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate [Switch] - Dec 7th 2018. ALL of the characters.

And you’re online at the same time as me often enough that I can clobber you senseless once in a while ;).

• Like 1

Pre-ordered. :) As noted in the Retro thread, I ended up recovering my Cube controller while looking for other things, so I might as well get an adapter (cheaper third party ones seem to be just fine according to Amazon reviews). I couldn't afford to lay down the money for the DLC as well, but since that's a while away I don't mind.

Incidentally, the pre-order terms to claim Piranha Plant in February require you to spend the Nintendo points you get from the purchase by the 31st of January in order to get him. It isn't clear if that's 300pts or the full bonus of 600. I'm assuming the former. 

• Like 1

This is making the rounds on Twitter. Might as well share here!

EDIT: While I have your attention, might I convince the originator of this thread (a one Mr. @Angry the Clown) to update the title of the thread to show the proper title of the game, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Trying to search for it in the forum search function is a pain in the ass with topic title in its current state. 

Curiously, despite Nintendo’s own website stating you need to spend your reward coins from a Smash pre-order by the end of January to get Piranha Plant, they’ve just issued me with a code to redeem immediately which will then automatically add him in February. 

Haha. That's great. Wish it was official, but it's got me hyped nevertheless.

Should have my gamecube adapter tomorrow. Went with this one as it had great reviews on Amazon and was only £12.99.

71JJYBqwq0L._SL1500_.jpg

Is the official one not available in the UK? Nintendo just re-released one for the Switch (I just received mine in fact).

8749F7D9-59FF-46AF-9625-15F9557E9473.jpeg

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

It is, but it's a bit more expensive and stock is harder to find right now, so I'm happy with a third party one. 

Gotcha.

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

It came pre-smashed :P

Ha! Good one. 

I actually already opened it up.  I got it for other reasons other than Smash but I may actually give Ultimate a try. This does have online versus play correct?

Cool. Dibs on Simon Belmont.:)

...and of course you need a LAN adapter. Fucking Nintendo.

Sounds like this turned out pretty well, but is the whole unlocking thing a standard for the series?  I get the idea of progression and encouraging experimentation, but I can also see this being a problem when I get this for my son at Christmas and most of the characters are blocked off in the basic vs and vs cpu modes.  Is there usually a way to say "just unlock everything"?

42 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Is there usually a way to say "just unlock everything"?

Nope. You'll have to unlock all the characters. It's always been this way, going back to the very first Smash on N64.

• Like 1

That actually is of great appeal to me. I want reasons to keep playing, particularly in single player. The reviews are fantastic and hearing there’s some 40hrs of single player gameplay on offer is mind blowing.

I went looking for this today (Yoshi cover, obviously) but couldn’t find a copy yet. It also comes with a 2019 Nintendo Calendar.

They have the game a 9.

Hoping the game unlocks at midnight here. 

It does not take long to unlock most characters in Smash, really. You’ll probably triple the starting roster in a couple hours of basic play.