LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate [Switch] - Dec 7th 2018. ALL of the characters.

Don’t know where three hours went playing this, but that’s it. I am a full blown, card carrying convert to Smash Bros. I have no idea what didn’t click with me with the previous versions I had briefly dabbled with, but this is so polished, so well balanced and so well presented that every fear I had fell away twenty minutes into playing it.

Whacking Pikachu with that Mario Paint flyswatter, in a Metal Gear Solid level, then punching him so hard he ended up in a remote desert where he was trampled upon by a stampede of Yoshis might be the most I’ve laughed in a game since the Lucasarts point and click adventures. This is utterly stupid stuff that shouldn’t work, but it’s such a joyous celebration of Nintendo it’s inpossible not to love.

I now completely understand the attachment seasoned Smash fans have to the Gamecube pad too. It feels so right. I’m glad I dug that out of storage.

• Like 2

I've never "got" Smash Bros. Only tried the (rightly 6/10 in Edge) GameCube and Wii ones, but it just didn't work for me at all; I couldn't see what made a good or bad play.

Is this genuinely doing something different and better? 

I was just the same, and with no devoted history to the series I’m obviously in no better position to answer that question. I’m keen to hear from those who who do have that decade plus of familiarity though.

All I am able to recognise is the level of polish to the whole concept, and the wealth of characters, levels and music that deliver a joyous celebration of all things Nintendo. This is everything including the kitchen sink levels of absurdity, but the execution of all the frantic madness feels like something refined to the point of near perfection, that here the series achieves everything it set out to do.

The game, and this seems true of the various modes I have tried so far, is not only generous with the opportunities to unlock new characters and elements, but also generous with guides explaining what everything is. Coming into this I feared it was just for the fans, which it is, but in no way do I feel left out as a newcomer. 

I thought at the very least I’d face a learning curve here but it took about twenty minutes to acclimatise to the controls, after which everything else (in terms of what power ups and Pokemon do...etc) ingeniously unfolds via the amusement value of seeing them in use. There are so many clever and imaginative elements to the gameplay, characters and level design. Ultimately it was that the game made me smile and giggle enough that brought me to the point where suddenly, after all these years, I think I can say finally “get it.” 

Where there is a lot to learn is the overwhelming number of play modes and features, and understanding the value of the collectibles. I haven’t even scratched the surface as far as that stuff is concerned. The Adventure mode itself, which is hidden away in the Spirits tab on the main menu, seems pretty accessible from what I played so far. 

• Like 1

I fear the issue may be that I just don't have enough affection for Nintendo - Mario platformers are the best ever made, but I've been largely immune to the charms of Zelda, Pokemon etc.

My knowledge of Pokemon goes little further than knowing what Pikachu is and what a Jigglypuff is, and I only looked up the latter once because the name is amazing and who wouldn’t want to know what a Jigglypuff is? I’m probably learning more about Pokemon monsters through this game than ever before.

Beyond that though, you may indeed struggle given a lack of affection for Nintendo history. I think that’s a very fair concern. Is there a demo at all? They’d be wise to make one if not. 

• Like 1

Here’s the fantastic trailer from GameAwards that revealed the first of the paid character dlc packs:

I suspect this will not land until Spring/Early summer. Piranha Plant is due first in February. You have to wonder if a Persona 5 port on Switch will appear at the same time as this. 

What’s especially interesting and exciting about this pick is that Sakurai tweeted last month that his character choices for all the dlc packs have been made from a list of suggestions put forward by Nintendo themselves. That those suggestions are not limited to Nintendo IP is really encouraging for the potential variety we can expect over the next eighteen months.

The guy from Hotel Dusk and the fish that draws the maps in Wind Waker are in as spirits. This game is fun and then has basically drowned itself in Nintendo lore on top of that.

Very pleased with it so far.

This evening, as Ryu, I beat up the Villager from Animal Crossing on a colourful papercraft Mario World style level with assits from Shovel Knight and the old painter from Art Academy. It is absolutely bonkers stuff.

Really loving the challenge opportunities from new fighters that get thrown at you regardless of what game mode you are playing too. You could be coming out of classic mode or adventure mode and suddenly it could throw a new fighter at you for you to (hopefully) beat and win to add to your roster. They get the balance just right, with the chance to unlock new players coming just frequently enough to feel consistently satisfying.

My current roster is: Mario, Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Cap Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Zelda, Marth, Young Link, Pit, Bayonetta, Sonic, Lucario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Ryu, Inkling, Zero Suit Samus, Simon Belmont and King K Rool. So that’s around 17 or 18 characters I have unlocked.

I got beaten by Issabelle when I had the chance to fight her so I will have to go for a rematch at the weekend.

I’m getting a better understanding of spirits. I had the Elite Beat Agents card appear earlier this evening which made me squeal with delight. Didn’t win it sadly.

The whole thing is just bursting with imagination. Even the end credits in classic mode are amazing.

Level up spirits for the adventure mode! I did this while working on the spirit board and it made things so much easier, not to mention you get some super fun perks from that.

The adventure mode is a blast so far for single player and you get any defeated characters as unlocks in the regular Smash mode, which is a much better system than waiting for somebody to show up.

Also I have totally lost my mojo for this game and have half the roster Dan does. It’s pretty embarrassing. I played four player local battles for an hour last night and it was amazing though. The series remains one of my faves for pure chaos.

I still can’t believe Isabelle beat me. Distracting me with the cuteness no doubt. I’ll go for a rematch tonight. First time I encountered Jigglypuff I lost and I swear it’s because I was playing as Kirby and I got totally confused seeing two pink blobs bouncing around the screen. 

I never liked Kirby in Melee but he’s great here - you don’t have to rely on his copy ability at all, which I recall being more crucial in Melee. His hammer and the air attack you can do to crash down on opponents are both excellent on offense.

I have lost to everybody I wanted and won versus chumps like Captain Falcon :P

Haven't really played any of the entries in this series since Gamecube (Melee) which I enjoyed immensely, since I don't really have friends around that play these kinds of games much.  But I was always a sucker for the adventure mode and now online does open up playing with friends a bit.  Had a bunch of Best Buy certs burning a whole in my pocket, so gonna give it a shot for $8!

The adventure mode is amazing. It has a ‘just one more match’ quality that I can’t resist. And mercifully anybody you free in that mode shows up in the regular matches to use.

The spirits have a weapon triangle like Fire Emblem and levelling. It’s just fun, really fun. Lots of conditional fights too.

If you don’t see the joy in taking on the protagonist from Fatal Frame as a support unit for an OP Zelda in the Luigi’s Mansion stage, this enjoyment may be lost on you ;)

On 12/9/2018 at 8:07 AM, Mark E said:

The adventure mode is amazing. It has a ‘just one more match’ quality that I can’t resist. And mercifully anybody you free in that mode shows up in the regular matches to use.

The spirits have a weapon triangle like Fire Emblem and levelling. It’s just fun, really fun. Lots of conditional fights too.

If you don’t see the joy in taking on the protagonist from Fatal Frame as a support unit for an OP Zelda in the Luigi’s Mansion stage, this enjoyment may be lost on you ;)

I fucking hated that stage...lol. Took me like 10 tries.

Agreed on the adventure mode though. I’m having a blast with it! Though I’m only now after about 3 hours of play starting to feel like I’m understanding what I’m doing. Though some stuff still feels random as fuck (like Yoshi did this great stampede special on me but I have no clue how to do those!). I’ll keep at it. 

I have another work work trip thus week so I won’t be able to play until this weekend but I look forward to trying the online mode. 

Im playing with the Gamecube adapter and controller. It feels nice.

The stampede is Yoshi’s final smash. If you beat down those floating orbs that appear to the point where you start glowing and then stand still and press/hold B it will trigger the move. If your opponent is on another platform above or below you, or there’s an obstruction between you both, then you can end up wasting the move as it won’t connect, so time it well. I’ve mostly been playing as Yoshi as he’s my boy, but apparently some final smash moves require a direction input while pressing B. If you pause you can view the moves and how to execute them for every single character.

As an onlooker over the years I always assumed triggering a final smash move required some insane Killer Instinct style ultra combo skills..... Turns out it’s just one bloody button!

9 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

If you beat down those floating orbs that appear...

You mean the Smash Ball? OMFG you are such a noob.

• Like 1

I wanted to refer to Yoshi as my “main” in my post above but I didn’t feel I’d earned the right to throw about common Smash terminology just yet. Until that time, floaty orb thing is floaty orb thing. 

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wanted to refer to Yoshi as my “main” in my post above...

Dude, seriously. The correct terms is "Character I Play as the Most Because They're My Favoritest." Get with it!