LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Mission Impossible Fallout spoiler thread

This movie really is a love letter to the entire series. It closes some doors, yet still leaves a lot left open going forward.  I will start off on the one odd thing. Jeremy Renner of course was not in the film as he was doing Infinity War, but they did not even mention Brant once,  unless I somehow missed it. 

I am not going to spoil the overall plot, but there is one very interesting thing that made me smile, connecting to MI 1. Towards the start of the film, Ethan has to  do a meet at the last minute , he is pretending to be someone else. He walks into the room and the women is at a microphone talking to the crowd of what must be weapons dealers.  She talks  about her mother Max for about it a minute. Yes Max who Ethan dealt with in the first movie. The actress playing the daughter is Vanessa Kirby who has the same facial features, and way of talking. It was pretty amazing.  Max's son is also in it, but he is just working for his sister type of thing.  Was really a treat. 

There are other ties to past films as well, but will leave those to discover.  Terrific film, look forward to see what happens next.

• Like 1

The Max thing made me smile SO much. That they don’t even embelish the reference and just left it as a thing for fans of the first one (still my favourite) to pick up on made it even better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

The Max thing made me smile SO much. That they don’t even embelish the reference and just left it as a thing for fans of the first one (still my favourite) to pick up on made it even better. 

Yeah ethan did not even say anything about knowing her either.

20 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

Probably my favorite MI movie so far.  But I still saw the Lark thing coming a mile away.  

Yeah the moment he tried to pin it on Hunt , it was obvious.

• Like 2

She is a major part of the first film. she is the arms dealer who wanted to buy the Knock list. Settting up the entire plot of the film.

I didn’t catch the reference when I saw it over the weekend, but I do remember her now that you mention it!

Her daughter mentions her multiple times while on stage, when Ethan walks into that bar area after the bathroom fight.

That’s a bang on Redgrave accent, too. I actually cried a tiny bit, because I’m a big softie idiot. 

Loved the film film as a whole; re Lark that’s just a guess from Hunt, no? From what I’ve heard elsewhere, Lark being a Hunt alias was actually part of the plot at one very early stage, before they decided it was too much, but there’s room to return to it if they want in future. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 10:19 PM, JoeyN said:

Yeah the moment he tried to pin it on Hunt , it was obvious.

Did they even try to hide it that much? I mean, when Superman turns over that phone that they allegedly pulled off the fake Lark it’s in pristine condition vs the clearly smashed one they show during the actual scene.

15 hours ago, Mark E said:

Did they even try to hide it that much? I mean, when Superman turns over that phone that they allegedly pulled off the fake Lark it’s in pristine condition vs the clearly smashed one they show during the actual scene.

This! It was essentially written on a lit up Neon Billboard at every turn, IMO. I assumed they were essentially seeing up the audience to flip and make him not bad. It wasn't even THAT clever. 

I need to back up a bit here. I'm not a follower of the franchise. I may have seen the first film partially in some rebroadcast. I never intended to see this, just got invited at the last minute. So I will be giving you my naked assessment. 

I thought they did a great job of making this  movie "a love letter to the entire series" (Joey), as I didn't miss anything not having seen the series myself. Meaning, being an MI noob, all of the necessary information to put the puzzle together retroactively was given to me. I understood the relationships, the dynamics, and the histories of all the players. 

Giving me all of that type of info was the necessary and helpful. Unfortunately this movie presented everything this plainly! There wasn't a single surprise or twist in this movie. I was waiting for the 'gotcha moment', but it never happened. Everything was telegraphed to the audience. Here's the rub, good movies give you all of the information you need to assemble it's 'puzzle', but great movies challenge you to assemble it before 'reveals' or end credits roll. This movie gets an high marks for information detail completeness, yet failing grades for obscurification, misdirection, and twist development. 

I did have an amusing moment late in the movie where the ridiculous action was grinding on me where I had to remind myself, 'this movie is literally called Misson Impossible, Impossible Bullshit is what this movie is all about, relax and go along with it'. 😁

In the end, this movie feels like a movie entirely for MI Fans (zero re-watch-ability for non-fans, imo). I feel like I stumbled into someone else's house and just had dinner with them. It was a bit awkward, and I don't really care for spaghetti, but hey, a meal is a meal. I just won't be around for the leftovers. Thanks for sharing! 

Keith, never watch this movie! Keith doesn't like chase scenes. This is basically one long chase scene, with a few fuel pits stops. 

3 minutes ago, JTello said:

Keith, never watch this movie! Keith doesn't like chase scenes. This is basically one long chase scene, with a few fuel pits stops. 

My dad would say something like "They wouldn't even let me fall asleep, the action never ended until the credits."

McQuarrie has said that he wanted to make that up front in the adverts, as it's not much of a twist and if you were to properly hide it you couldn't put the helicopter chase in the trailer, but the studio were convinced it should be a surprise. I felt it worked, though - both Cavill & Bassett look sinister as hell from the moment you first see them, but until they properly reveal things I wasn't sure what angle Walker was playing. He doesn't like Hunt, but it wouldn't be the first time that's because the CIA genuinely think he's a dangerous nutcase