LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Arcade1up - Classic Arcade cabinets coming soon for $299

This is pretty damned neat. These are about 3/4th scale cabinets. Each one comes with 4 games to boot. They are releasing at the end of September.  Check it out:

b41041_479d0e21da094758adab6a1e94fe1d38~

Di-SHnQU8AIme-X.jpg:large 

Assembly instructions:

Here's a good look at the scale:

18_table03.jpg

I mean for $300? That Centipede and Rampage collection looks pretty damned compelling.

They also have cocktail table models they are working on:

18_table01.jpg

...and they sell a footer to move the cabinets up higher:

AtLfmuh.png

• Like 2

...and yes I ordered the Centipede unit. That Rampage unit is REALLY hard to say not to as well. I would be surprised if it doesn't find its way into my home eventually as well.:)

No. They are closed and proprietary according to the company. 

Now could someone find some way to do that? I never underestimate people on the internet.:)

Yep Walmart has them for preorder with free shipping.

The street fighter unit will eventually work its way into our game room.

20 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Yep Walmart has them for preorder with free shipping.

The street fighter unit will eventually work its way into our game room.

As does Gamestop. Same $299 price point and free shipping.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

If they did a stand-up with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men and Simpson arcade games.........and in a 4 player config.....:banderas:

That would have been bought already :)

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

They also have cocktail table models they are working on:

18_table01.jpg

...and they sell a footer to move the cabinets up higher:

AtLfmuh.png

I was sold on the sit down units.  Would love Final Fight.

8 hours ago, Romier S said:

Video:

According to this interview, the SF cabinet comes with the classic Street Fighter 1, 2 And 3....Turbo. 🙄 

• Haha 1
  • WTF 1

On 7/27/2018 at 11:47 PM, Romier S said:

If they did a stand-up with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-Men and Simpson arcade games.........and in a 4 player config.....:banderas:

That would be great.

For the price, I’m going to assume the screen quality and response time is going to be the real weak point here.

My real question is how they’re running these games. Most specifically, if that Asteroids/Tempest machine is actually running a vector CRT, rather than just emulating it with a scanline based system. 

Generally, I’m happy to emulate, because space is at a premium, but Proper Asteroids is a thing of beauty. 

Edit: and now I see it’s a 17” LCD on every one of them. Yeah, that’s not something I have houseroom for. 

1 hour ago, iainl said:

My real question is how they’re running these games. Most specifically, if that Asteroids/Tempest machine is actually running a vector CRT, rather than just emulating it with a scanline based system. 

Generally, I’m happy to emulate, because space is at a premium, but Proper Asteroids is a thing of beauty. 

Edit: and now I see it’s a 17” LCD on every one of them. Yeah, that’s not something I have houseroom for. 

Yeah, in my experience playing Tempest in MAME on my Mac (it's been a while), with a decent res monitor, it draws the lines pretty nicely. It's perhaps not as pin sharp as a true vector display, nor do you get that flare distortion in the lines where they converge, but it looks good. To me, the even bigger question when emulating Tempest is the dial controller. The original had some amount of heft and would freely spin, which is a critical part of playing the game well as you need to be able to make really quick precise twists. I bought an iMate dial controller just to play Tempest in MAME and while it provides a decent approximation, it has a good bit or rotational resistance which hinders the gameplay somewhat.

Did a little searching and found this video where these guys seem encouraged after talking with the folks from Arcade1up, there's even a bit about how important a weighted dial is for Tempest (although they say Asteriods used a dial too, which is incorrect). They can't confirm the feel of the dial, but it sounds like Arcade1up intends these to work like the originals, which would be amazing. This link starts 5:30 in when they are talking about the Asteroids cabinet 

If that dial is a decent replica of the original, this cabinet is VERY tempting. Tempest is easily one of my top 5 games of all time.

• Like 1

I'm most interested in the Rampage/Joust/Defender/Gauntlet one. I liked all 4 of those games. I'm kind of disappointed that you'd only be able to play 3 player Gauntlet though but I guess there was barely enough room for 4 players on the full-size game. I wonder how Defender plays with only two buttons (I assume you flip directions with the joystick but you'd still need 4 more buttons for thrust, fire, smart bomb, and hyperspace). Map thrust to the joystick as well, smart bomb/fire to the two buttons and hyperspace by hitting both at the same time?

I've always wanted an arcade machine in my house but I'll wait for the reviews to start coming out.

They have not mentioned these, but I spotted them over the weekend.

In the Walmart Christmas toy catalog they show a two Pac-Man game machine as Walmart exclusive. It also says the Galaga machine is exclusive to them as well.

Also Best Buy, Frye and Home Depot have a Deluxe Atari 12 in 1 cabinet with riser for $399 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-deluxe-edition-12-in-1-arcade-cabinet-with-riser-atari-graphics/6288355.p?skuId=6288355

Saw them in-store yesterday. They finally found something to kick the last of the Lego Dimensions into the clearance aisle. The cabinets are cool, small, but cool. Neat for a game room/bar room , but I couldn't imagine picking one up otherwise. It was nice to have a brand new one setup for demo in the store, it was fun to show the kids! 

This review of the Rampage/Joust/Gauntlet/Defender unit has me kind of turned off:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/06/arcade1up-rampage-arcade-game-review-gauntlet-joust-defender/

Problems mentioned:

Gauntlet - 2 player (not 3 player even though there are 3 joysticks); some sounds missing due to mono speaker; scrolling issues

Defender - controls are wonky

FYI: Rampage/Joust were fine.

13 hours ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

This review of the Rampage/Joust/Gauntlet/Defender unit has me kind of turned off:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/06/arcade1up-rampage-arcade-game-review-gauntlet-joust-defender/

Problems mentioned:

Gauntlet - 2 player (not 3 player even though there are 3 joysticks); some sounds missing due to mono speaker; scrolling issues

Defender - controls are wonky

FYI: Rampage/Joust were fine.

While I love Joust, it was Defender that almost had me looking into this... but bad controls for Defender has me saying:  NOPE.  (for now)

Anyone ever pick up one of these?  They appear to have many more numerous issues than first reported. If I could get one on a deep clearance, preferably a Street Fighter one, it might be worth it as nice base to do some heavy modding.