LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Arcade1up - Classic Arcade cabinets coming soon for $299

You can see in your pic one of the big problems with the paint job rubbing away by the controls.  They point that out in the video.

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

You can see in your pic one of the big problems with the paint job rubbing away by the controls.  They point that out in the video.

Oh man. I thought that was glare. That’s not good, but not terribly unauthentic either I guess. 

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Oh man. I thought that was glare. That’s not good, but not terribly unauthentic either I guess. 

Well sure, eventually you would expect some to rub away.  But those things have only been in the stores for a couple of months.  And I really doubt they are being used constantly.  I think I have yet to see anyone use the demo model at my Walmart.

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Well sure, eventually you would expect some to rub away.  But those things have only been in the stores for a couple of months.  And I really doubt they are being used constantly.  I think I have yet to see anyone use the demo model at my Walmart.

It’s a QA issue,  no doubt. They have made a good effort in replacing the art and providing a plexiglass cover as well. I’ve seen several videos of the plexiglass replacement and it doesn’t affect the button placement or height so no clue what he’s on about in that video in that regard. 

I’ve held off for now because I don’t want the spend full price but if I run across a cabinet at $150? I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Just for the modding alone.

Seeing these in all sorts of stores this Christmas season. Not too impressed by the demo units I've seen. I think after they fail to sell, you'll get one at that price no problem, Romier :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

Seeing these in all sorts of stores this Christmas season. Not too impressed by the demo units I've seen. I think after they fail to sell, you'll get one at that price no problem, Romier :)

That is what I am hoping for as well.

They still look a little too short though, but still cheaper than the Arcade Legends series etc that I've seen in other stores.  You still might be better off trying to find a cheap cabinet and putting something together based on that, but once you get a cabinet, monitor, new controls etc, you'd probably be in for more than what these might be on discount. 

In any case, I'll stick with the MAME that I built a while back (10 years ago now).  It could probably use a PC upgrade, but otherwise it still works well for what it needs to do.

That Mortal Kombat one is enticing as hell. Hopefully they got some of the QA quirks worked out.

• Like 3

I could see the Golden Tee one being popular. That’s a game that isn’t easily replicated at home with emulators and has a following. 

This assumes the trackball is of a decent quality. 

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

I could see the Golden Tee one being popular. That’s a game that isn’t easily replicated at home with emulators and has a following. 

It’s supposed to be easy to swap parts on these so even if it was bad you could add a good one. Probably. 

18 hours ago, Graeme said:

I saw a few at Fry's before xmas.  The trackpad seemed fine... but the spinner on the asteroids machine was complete trash.  I don't know how they hold up over time though.